Talk205 for May 13, 2019
In this issue of Talk205…
- D205 Future-Focused Facilities Community Meetings – May 13 & 15
- York Cheerleading Program Tryouts – May 13 & 14
- EPD Bike Registration for Sandburg Rescheduled – May 14
- York Orchestra Concerts – May 14 & 16
- Conrad Fischer PTA Fundraiser to Pinot’s Palette – May 17
- Staying Safe In Teen Relationships – May 22, 2019
- Middle School Promotion Day - May 30
- Fischer PTA Hosts Mighty Munchkins Obstacle Course Race – June 2
- Notre Dame DNA Learning Center Middle School Summer Science Programs – June 2019
- District 205 Orchestra Festival Video Broadcast Available
- Sandburg Be Internet Awesome Resources Available
- 2019 Thiems Education Grants Announced
- Foundation Supports Innovation Efforts By District Leadership
Other Important Items…
If you would like to receive D205 cancellation and late start notifications via text message, please text the word ‘YES’ to 67587. The automated system will prompt you to enroll in the text message alert system.
D205 Future-Focused Facilities Community Meetings – May 13 & 15
Thank you to the Elmhurst, Addison, Bensenville, and Oakbrook community for investing in the continued success of D205 Schools. Join us for two D205 Future-Focused Facilities Community Meetings:
- Edison Renovation Plans - 6 p.m. Monday, May 13, 2019 - Edison Elementary School - 246 South Fair St. Elmhurst, Illinois 60126.
- Bryan Renovation Plans - 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - Bryan Middle School - 111 Butterfield Road Elmhurst, IL 60126.
Learn about the D205 Future-Focused Facilities Plan and the timeline for upcoming construction projects. Preview design concepts for the upcoming renovation of Edison Elementary & Bryan Middle Schools beginning in April 2020. Engage in a Q&A session with D205 Superintendent Dr. David Moyer and school officials.
York Cheerleading Program Tryouts – May 13 & 14
- Open Gyms - 5/7 & 5/9 from 5:00 - 6:30 p.m. - York Black Box Theatre
- Tryouts - 5/13 & 5/14 from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m. - York Black Box Theatre
Open to all York students in 2019-2020 school year. Program has been coed for over 10 years! Males and females of any experience levels encouraged to attend! Please download mandatory documents and find more information on our home page.
EPD Bike Registration for Sandburg Rescheduled – May 14
BIKE TO SCHOOL DAY-- Sandburg's Bicycle Registration Event is rescheduled for Tuesday, May 14th 7:30 to 8:15. Students are encouraged bicycles to school on TUESDAY, MAY 14TH! The annual on-site bike registration event is in conjunction with the Elmhurst Police Department in the morning before school starts. All students need to do is ride their bicycles to the back of the school building the morning of Tuesday MAY 14TH. Sandburg Physical Education teachers and Police Officers will direct students as they arrive with their bicycles. The registration process takes less than 2 minutes. We encourage you to take advantage of this event. Registration will start at 7:30!
York Orchestra Concerts – May 14 & 16
- On Tuesday, May 14, 2019, at 7:30 PM, the York Community High School Music Department will present performances by the York Cadet and Concert Orchestras. The concert will honor members of the graduating class of 2019. The performance is in Baker Auditorium at York High School. Admission is free. A reception honoring the student musicians will follow the concert in the cafeteria.
- On Thursday, May 16, 2019, at 7:30 PM, the York Community High School Music Department will present a special performance by the York Symphony Orchestra. The concert will honor the graduating class of 2019. A reception honoring the students will follow the concert in the cafeteria. The performance is in Baker Auditorium at York High School. Admission is free.
Conrad Fischer PTA Fundraiser to Pinot’s Palette – May 17
Join Conrad Fischer PTA for a fundraiser to Pinot’s Palette, 7 to 9 p.m. on May 17, 2019. For more information, see the event flyer here.
Staying Safe In Teen Relationships – May 22, 2019
Join District 205 in learning more about: dating violence, consent, online safety starting the conversation at home. May 22, 2019 6:30-8:00 pm Bryan Middle School, 111 Butterfield Road, Elmhurst, IL 60126. For more information, contact Anisha at Bhatiaa@Metrofamily.Org. Conversation is co-sponsored with Metropolitan Family Services of DuPage. See an event flyer in English or Spanish.
Middle School Promotion Day -- May 30
Middle School Promotion Day for all D205 Middle Schools is May 30 in the York High School Campbell Gym. The schedule for each school is as follows:
- Sandburg Middle School – 4 p.m.
- Bryan Middle School – 6 p.m.
- Churchville Middle School – 8 p.m.
Fischer PTA Hosts Mighty Munchkins Obstacle Course Race – June 2
Conrad Fischer Fields, Elmhurst IL
June 2, 2019 - 10am - 12pm
COST: $25 REGISTRATION: https://ti4k.org/ocr/
Fischer’s PTA and Team Ignite have joined forces to host the Mighty Munchkins Obstacle Course Race. This is the grand finale to the spring obstacle course club season! Bring kids ages 6-12 years old to
Conrad Fischer Fields on June 2, 2019 for a fun-filled morning, tackling our fully-mobile obstacle course. This 2km course will be complete with over-under walls, hurdles, cargo net climbs and LASERS!!
Notre Dame DNA Learning Center Middle School Summer Science Programs – June 2019
Students participate in a variety of experiments that are hands-on molecular biology techniques and learn about the expanding field of genetics. Labs will be with Notre Dame faculty and current Notre Dame Students, who also serve as camp counselors. See the flyer for June 2019 camp dates.
District 205 Orchestra Festival Video Broadcast Available
The District 205 Orchestra Festival, Held Tuesday, March 19, 2019 is now on COMCAST Channel 6 and AT&T U-verse 99:
ELMHURST: OUR KIND OF TOWN #1460
Elmhurst Community Unit School District 205 Presents
“The Triennial District String Orchestra Festival”
Sundays @ 7:00pm & Thursdays @ 5:00pm (As of May 2, 2019)
Sandburg Be Internet Awesome Resources Available
Sandburg PTA is proud to have hosted a Be Internet Awesome Workshop! To make the most of the Internet, families need to be prepared to make smart decisions. For details of our workshop and links to tools and resources access the:
You can also go to the National PTA websiteOpens a New Window. for more details on their PTA Connected programs.
National PTA has been a partner to parents on digital parenting topics for over five years, exploring in-depth the issues that are on the minds of today’s families, and connecting parents with tools, research and supports to make the best decisions for their children.
2019 Thiems Education Grants Announced
The District 205 Foundation Directors added to the excitement of this year’s Teacher Appreciation Week by paying surprise visits to extraordinary teachers who were awarded the Thiems Educational Grants they had applied for last semester. Every K-12 school benefited from a total of $95,516 funded grants that will be implemented next academic year.
Grant requests for elementary digital crayons and 3D printers were extended across schools to ensure that every elementary building has these resources for students. Two middle school grants in PE and Science were also given to all three middle school buildings to provide equal opportunities for students. To view photos and a list of all grants, visit our web page here.
Foundation Supports Innovation Efforts By District Leadership
The District 205 Foundation has awarded funding to district leadership in the amount of $5,000 to support the initial costs associated with the district’s participation in the Innovation and Transformational Leadership Network, and the Harvard Scaling for Impact Program. Foundation directors believe that supporting these efforts will further our partnership and benefit all students with work that focuses on relevant and rigorous curriculum and instruction that can be scaled and sustained district wide.