Special Education Resource Group
SERG MISSION: To Empower This Generation and The Next
To support parents of children with special needs from ages 3 to 21 by...
- Educating families within District 205 to increase awareness and gain support for individuals with disabilities in our community.
- Connecting parents, educators and administrators to increase understanding and collaboration.
- Providing information about resources in our community
- Sponsoring programs on a variety of topics related to special education.
- Providing resources for parents on topics of services, policies and procedures for children with special needs.
SERG is organized and funded by the District 205 PTA Council.
Special Education Snapshots: January 2023 Parent Meeting
D205 parents heard helpful information about assistive technology, transition services and literacy curriculum in our latest parent webinar.
If you would like to receive SERG news, please subscribe to the SERG Communication List here.
SERG PARENT REPRESENTATIVES 2023-2024
|SERG Co-Chair||Elena Cutri|
|SERG Co-Chair||Mary Young|
|Edison||Jen Kasten Dotson|
SERG Representative Responsibilities
Are you interested in volunteering at your child's school, but have little time? Do you like sharing Special Education resources with fellow parents?
Being a SERG representative is an easy way of supporting your school community!
As a SERG school rep, you will be asked to do the following:
- Gather parent feedback, questions, and issues about Special Education topics at your school.
- Attend meetings to provide SERG information and to gather parent feedback:
- Attend your school’s PTA meetings (monthly)
- Attend SERG rep meetings (every 6-8 weeks)
- Attend SERG parent meetings (a few times a year)
- Distribute SERG information:
- Submit SERG program information for the principal’s weekly newsletter.
- Submit SERG program information for the PTA President’s weekly email.
- Share SERG info with Resource Teachers and Special Education Teachers at your school and ask them to pass along to students and/or their room parents.
- Partner with your school’s PTA committees to make events accessible to all students.
If you're interested in joining SERG as a rep, contact the current rep listed above or your school's PTA President.