Sign up to receive TALK205 Messages
Interested community members are invited to sign up to receive Talk205 messages from the Elmhurst School District 205 Office of Communications and Public Relations. Talk205 is District 205's communication system, powered by Blackboard Connect. Custodial parents/guardians of District 205 students, as well as District 205 staff, are automatically included in messaging (both email and phone calls) sent through this system. Because Talk205 is connected to our Student Information System, parents need do nothing when students change grade or school - it will automatically be updated.
IF YOU ARE A CUSTODIAL PARENT/GUARDIAN OF A DISTRICT 205 STUDENT, OR A DISTRICT 205 STAFF MEMBER, DO NOT SIGN UP HERE FOR TALK205. You are automatically included if you have already provided your school with an e-mail address.
Click the logo below to subscribe.
Talk205 Message for February 13, 2017
In this issue –
- All-District Student Late Arrival This Wednesday
- Come Visit the Lincoln School Model Classroom
- History Museum Offers Schools Out Workshop, February 20
- Boosters’ Annual Green Scene Fundraiser is February 25
- Annual Ladies Who Lunch Fundraiser, March 2
- 21st Annual Elmhurst Community Student Chess Tournament
- Friend of the Foundation Award Presented at March 11 Gala
- Nominations Sought for Exceptional Elmhurst Youth Volunteers
- 2017 York Summer School Academic and Athletic Offerings Posted
- City Seeks Crossing Guards for District 205 Locations
- Postings on the Virtual Backpack page
ALL-DISTRICT STUDENT LATE ARRIVAL THIS WEDNESDAY – The next all-district Student Late Arrival Day is Wednesday, February 15. Certified staff and administrators will be using this time to collaboratively review student data, discuss professional growth topics, problem solve, share best practices and continue the work of building a Professional Learning Community.
The Student Late Arrival instructional schedule for 2016-17 is as follows:
AM Early Childhood – 9:45 AM to 11:55 AM
PM Early Childhood – 12:55 PM to 3:00 PM
AM Kindergarten – 9:45 AM to 11:55 AM
PM Kindergarten – 12:55 PM to 3:00 PM
Grades 1-5 – 9:45 AM to 3:00 PM
Middle School – 10:00 AM to 3:25 PM
High School – 9:25 AM to 3:06 PM
The 2016-17 School Calendar (which provides a one-page overview of this information), may be found on the District 205 calendar page.
COME VISIT THE LINCOLN MODEL CLASSROOM – There will be an Open House of the Lincoln School Model Classroom (Mrs. Dunn’s 3rd grade) on Thursday, February 16 from 4:30 to 5:30 PM(just prior to Lincoln’s STEaM Fest event) and on Wednesday, February 22 from 6:30 to 7:30 PM. All are invited to the Model Classroom Open Houses. To view a short video of this future-ready classroom, which is sponsored by the District 205 Foundation, please click here.
HISTORY MUSUEM OFFERS SCHOOL’S OUT WORKSHOP – The Elmhurst History Museum is presenting a unique opportunity for inspiring artists to create a forest portrait, inspired by pioneering architect, artist and landscape designer Marion Mahony Griffin, during a hands-on School’s Out Workshop on Monday, February 20 (Presidents’ Day). The workshop will be led by printmaker and Art Institute of Chicago curator Debora Wood and is appropriate for school-age children in grades 1-5 with a participating adult.
The workshop takes place from 1:00 until 2:30 PM in the Elmhurst History Museum’s Education Center, located at 120 E. Park Avenue in Elmhurst. The cost is $12 per person for members of the Elmhurst Heritage Foundation, and $15 per person for non-members. Reservations may be made online at www.elmhursthistory.org (in the Family Program section) or by calling 630-530-6879.
Program participants are welcome to tour the In Her Own Right exhibit of Marion Mahony Griffin’s work in the first floor gallery of the Glos Mansion after the program. She was the first woman architect in the state of Illinois and one of Frank Lloyd Wright’s first employees. Admission is free.
BOOSTERS’ ANNUAL GREEN SCENE FUNDRAISER IS FEBRUARY 25 – The York High School Athletic Boosters' Annual Green Scene is Saturday, February 25, from 7 PM to 1 AM at Fitz’s Spare Keys. This year’s Green Scene is a casual night of fun, friends, silent and live auctions, raffles, bowling and pool. You can bowl or play pool with your favorite York coach. Auction items include York parking passes, graduation tickets and preferred parking for graduation.
Ticket price includes entrance, light buffet and fun. Tickets are available for purchase athttp://york.elmhurst205.org/yboosters. If you would like to contribute a prize, please firstname.lastname@example.org. In 2015-2016, the Boosters gave nearly $70,000 to York HS Athletics. They have supported York students in every sport for over 35 years
ANNUAL PTA LADIES WHO LUNCH FUNDRAISER, MARCH 2 – The Annual PTA Ladies Who Lunch fundraising event will be Thursday, March 2, from 11:30-1:30 PM at Café Amano in Elmhurst. Tickets are $35 per person and include a $15 donation to the PTA Scholarship fund as well as a delicious 3-course meal, tax, and tip! Please email email@example.com to reserve a spot or with any questions. There are 100+ seats available and organizers are hoping to sell out!
21ST ANNUAL ELMHURST COMMUNITY STUDENT CHESS TOURNAMENT - The 21st annual Elmhurst Community Student Chess Tournament will be held on Tuesday, March 14th, beginning at6:00 PM in the York High School Commons, 355 W. St. Charles Road, Elmhurst. Students will compete in the following six categories: 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6-8th grade and high school. Last year, over 200 students participated in the tournament.
All Elmhurst residents and/or District 205 students are welcome to participate with the completion and submission of a signed permission slip and tournament fee of $3.00. All participants will receive a certificate; the top four in each category receive ribbons; and the tournament champions receive a trophy.
The annual Chess Tournament is organized by parent volunteers, many of whom coach chess clubs at their children’s schools. Contestants will compete within the rules, playing five timed matches each. Volunteer judging is performed by independent chess experts who are brought in for this event. Snacks and drinks will be donated and provided. Pizza will be sold during the tournament.
The registration deadline is Wednesday, March 8th. Interested families may contact their child’s school chess club leader for the permission slips and rules. Questions may be directed to Chris Khayat at 630-290-1504 (cell) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2017 FRIEND OF THE FOUNDATION AWARD PRESENTED AT MARCH 11 GALA – The District 205 Foundation for Educational Excellence is proud to announce Laura Maniola as its 2017 Friend of the Foundation recipient. Laura has a history of serving the Foundation and District 205 in multiple volunteer roles and leadership positions. She and her family value service to the community and support various organizations through their generosity and volunteerism. Laura will be honored at this year's fundraising gala, The Future is Now, to be held on Saturday, March 11, at The Hyatt Lodge on McDonald’s Campus in Oak Brook.
Join a community of friends ready to support a learning revolution by raising funds that will help promote future ready learning and innovation in Elmhurst Public Schools. The event promises to be an elegant and entertaining evening featuring a plated dinner, beverages, raffles, awesome mini and live auctions, as well as an opportunity to hear about new trends in learning spaces and education. Cost is $175 per person and space is limited; visit www.elmhurst205.org/2017gala to learn more about this year's Friend of the Foundation and purchase tickets.
Another way to participate, even if you can't attend the Gala, is to purchase a "Golden Raffle Ticket" for $100. Only 100 tickets are being sold and they are going fast!The winner will get to choose one of the following trips: 4-nights stay in Puntacana, Dominican Republic, Sam Adams Boston VIP Tour, or a 3-Nights Lake Tahoe Ski Getaway - airfare for two included. To purchase a raffle ticket, please email Pam Hamil at email@example.com
NOMINATIONS SOUGHT FOR EXCEPTIONAL ELMHURST YOUTH VOLUNTEERS – Know an outstanding youth volunteer? The City of Elmhurst’s Commission on Youth is currently seeking nominees for its annual Exemplary Youth Service Awards, the presentation of which will take place on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at Sandburg Middle School. Nominations are being accepted for young volunteers who reside within Elmhurst District 205 boundaries or attend an Elmhurst school.
To receive a paper nomination form, call the City of Elmhurst at 630-530-3010 or visitwww.elmhurst.org/1291/Exemplary-Youth-Service-Award to access the online form. Nominees must be students in grades K-12; service must be voluntary and unpaid. Nominations must be received by Friday March 10, 2017. Award winners will be personally congratulated by the Elmhurst Mayor Steve Morley, with a reception following the program. For more information, contact Youth Commission Chair Jackie Tamer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2017 YORK SUMMER SCHOOL ACADEMIC AND ATHLETIC OFFERINGS POSTED – York High School Summer School dates and academic course offerings have now been set. Open registration began last Friday and ends on June 7. Session I will run Monday through Thursday from June 12 – 29 (with June 30 being an emergency day); Session II will run from July 5 – July 21 (with July 21an emergency day). See Summer School website for details. Academic Course registration begins here. Registration information is posted on the Summer School page of the York High School website. Athletic camp offerings are now listed here. Athletic camp registration begins April 3.
CITY SEEKS CROSSING GUARDS FOR DISTRICT 205 LOCATIONS – The City of Elmhurst is now hiring Part-time School Crossing Guards. Open positions are available for Regular and Relief Crossing Guards during the 2016-17 school year. Lead a safe environment for our children and become a staff member of the Elmhurst Police Department.
The safety of our school children is a concern for the City of Elmhurst, District 205 school personnel, all parents and citizens. Training and safety equipment are provided. Applications may be obtained at the Elmhurst Police Department, 125 E. First St, Elmhurst, IL or interested candidates may apply online at this link. Offers of employment are subject to successful completion of a background check and pre-employment drug screen/physical. The City of Elmhurst is an equal opportunity employer.
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK – The District 205 Virtual Backpack page is a great place to find student and family-oriented activities offered by non-profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly at www.elmhurst205.org/flyers. The following items were recently posted:
- Elmhurst Cool Cities Coalition Jump-Start Your Natural Lawn Care Plan On February 23 At 7 PM – Location: Elmhurst Public Library – Free & Open To The Public
- Mental Health First Aid Training & Certification Class – March 3 & 9 From 5 To 9 PM
- Say "Yes" To The Prom Dress On March 19 From 1 To 3 PM For High School Aged Girls – Offering One Free Gently Used Dress, Shoes Or Purse – Clothing Donations Will Be Accepted Until March 18 – Drop Off At 300 S. Fair Ave.
CITY OF ELMHURST
- Now Hiring Regular & Relief School Crossing Guards Work Up To 15 Hours Per Week
Apply Here: www.elmhurst.org
- Elmhurst Lions Club 31st Annual All You Can Eat Pizza Party – Featuring Roberto's Pizza – February 25 From 5 PM To 7 PM Location: Sandburg MS – Tickets $8/Family Price (5 Or More) $35 Ages 6 & Under Are Free
- York Athletic Boosters Green Scene On February 25 From 7 PM To 1 AM At Fitz's Spare Keys Buy Tickets Online: www.york.elmhurst205.org/yboosters
- PTA Scholarship Ladies Who Lunch Fundraiser On March 2 At 11:30 AM Location: Cafe Amano – $35 Per Person ($15 To Scholarships) For Tickets Contact email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 205 Foundation Gala – March 11, 2017 Location: Oak Brook Hyatt Lodge – Tickets Available Now
- 3-On-3 Basketball Tournament/3-Point Shooting Contest On March 18 AT 9 AMLocation: Elmhurst College – Sign Up Deadline March 12 – Divisions: Grade 3 To Age 46 Plus – Proceeds Benefit Hydrocephalus Association
GLENBARD PARENT SERIES
- February Through March Series – Includes Building Peer Relationships/Drug Abuse Prevention & More – Free & Open To the Public – Drew Dudley – Everyday Leadership: Celebrating The Simple Actions That Improve Each Other's Lives On February 22 At 7 PM – Location: College Of DuPage McAninch Arts Center – Free & Open To The Public
OPPORTUNITIES FOR KIDS
- Summer Recreation Open House List Of Opportunities
- Spotlight Youth Theater Spring 2017 Classes – March 2 To May 11 For Students Age 8 To 18 – Location: Elmhurst Christian Reformed Church
- Join Girl Scouts – Grades 6 To 12 – Annual Membership Fee is $15 – Financial Assistance Available
- Older Girl Camporee (Entering Grades 6 To 12 In Fall) At Camp Greene Wood On July 5 To 7
SUMMER OPPORTUNITIES FOR KIDS
- Center For Gifted Classes – Summer Camp at Elmhurst College (entering Gr 6+)
- College of DuPage – Summer Youth Enrichment in Glen Ellyn (K-8)
- Mayslake in Oak Brook – Creativity and Writing Summer Week
- CTD at Northwestern University – Weekend Enrichment at North Central College
- CTD at Northwestern Summer Enrichment – Elmhurst College
- Science and Arts Academy – Summer Programs in Des Plaines (PreK-8)
- Summer Institute for Gifted – University of Chicago in Chicago
- Dominican University – Summer Gifted and Talented – in River Forest
- Benedictine University – Summer IDTech camp in Lisle
- Summer@IMSA – Math and Science camps Illinois Math and Science Academy in Aurora
- Northern Illinois University – STEM Summer Camps in DeKalb
LIBRARY AND MUSEUMS
Elmhurst Art Museum
- Elmhurst Artists' Guild 2017 Winter Member Show On January 8 To February 17
Elmhurst History Museum
- School's Out Family Workshop: Forest Portraits – Create a Forest Portrait OnFebruary 20 From 1 PM To 2:30 PM – For Families In Grades 1 To 5
Elmhurst Public Library
- Friends Of The Library Poetry Contest For Students Grades 4 To 12 Submit Original Poetry By Mail – Online – In Person From February 1 Through March 19
- Winter Reading Express – For Ages Birth Through Grade 8 – Sign Up In The Kids' Library – Reach A Reading Goal And Receive Prizes Starts December 27 Through February 28
PARK DISTRICT & RECREATION PROGRAMS
Bensenville Park District
- Fall Program Guide
- Special Events
- Bensenville Recreation and Community Programs
- Edge Ice Arena – Figure Skating Programs and Learn To Skate – Session #2 FromFebruary 15 To March 25 For Ages 3 To Adult
- Water's Edge Aquatic Center – Learn To Swim Program – Winter #2 Through April 2For Ages Tot To Adult
Elmhurst Park District
- Upcoming Programs & Events here
- Parent's Night Out On February 10 From 6:30 PM To 9:00 PM For Ages 3 To 11 – $10 Per Child Member/$20 Per Child Non-Member – Pre-Registration Required
- Daddy/Daughter Dance On February 18 From 6 To 7:30 PM – Dancing, Refreshments, Photo Booth & More – Preregister At Member Service Desk
- Summer Camps – Registration Begins February 1
PARENT SUPPORT GROUPS
- ACCESS SPORTS – Recruiting New Athletes For Baseball Program – Saturdays Late April To Late June– For Grades K To Transition Program – Time Slots Between 3 And 5 PM – Cost $25
- REACH PTA
- SERG PTA – (Special Education Resources Group)
- Elmhurst Eagles Football & Cheer – Registration Now Open – Early Bird Discount BeforeMarch 15 – Football For Grades 2 To 8 & Cheer For Grades 3 To 8 Plus Mini-Cheer For Grades 1 To 2