Sign up to receive TALK205 Messages
Interested community members are invited to sign up to receive Talk205 messages from the Elmhurst School District 205 Office of Communications and Public Relations. Talk205 is District 205's communication system, powered by Blackboard Connect. Custodial parents/guardians of District 205 students, as well as District 205 staff, are automatically included in messaging (both email and phone calls) sent through this system. Because Talk205 is connected to our Student Information System, parents need do nothing when students change grade or school - it will automatically be updated.
IF YOU ARE A CUSTODIAL PARENT/GUARDIAN OF A DISTRICT 205 STUDENT, OR A DISTRICT 205 STAFF MEMBER, DO NOT SIGN UP HERE FOR TALK205. You are automatically included if you have already provided your school with an e-mail address.
Click the logo below to subscribe.
Talk205 - January 26
In this issue –
- Erin’s Law Parent Information Meeting at Sandburg Tonight
- D205 Foundation’s Silver Ball Tickets Almost Gone!
- PTA Sponsors 13th Annual Summer Recreation Open House,
- Prevention Is Powerful: Community Open House at Robert Crown
- 2015 Illinois 5-Essentials Parent Survey Now Available
- City of Elmhurst Hiring Crossing Guards
- Give Kids A Smile Day,
- Nominate an Exemplary Youth Volunteer by
- Kindergarten and “New to First Grade” Enrollment Dates Announced
- PTA Council Presents: The Cost of Free Public Education…Under the New Reality
- Postings on the Virtual Backpack Page
ERIN’S LAW PARENT INFORMATION MEETING TONIGHT – Erin’s Law, House Bill 6193, requires schools to teach age-appropriate sexual assault and abuse awareness and prevention for grades Pre-K through 12. Our curriculum at each grade level will cover the following:
- Distinguishing different types of touch
- Saying “NO”
- It’s not the child’s fault if someone touches him or her
- Identifying and telling a trusted adult
This year, an award-winning non-profit group, Imagination Theater, will deliver age-appropriate experiences for our students in 1st through 8th grade. Information about their program, called “No Secrets,” may be found by visiting www.imaginationtheater.org. District 205 will offer live previews of the presentations to parents on Monday, January 26, at Sandburg Middle School as follows: middle school, and elementary school, .
Opt out forms - in either electronic or paper format - must be completed by , with paper forms submitted to the appropriate school for each child that is being opted out of this State requirement. Paper opt out forms will be available on the evening of January 26.
D205 FOUNDATION’S SILVER BALL TICKETS ALMOST GONE! – This is the last week to purchase your guaranteed Silver Ball tickets for the Foundation's 25th anniversary celebration and fundraiser on at the Drake Oak Brook Hotel. Ticket price includes beverages, plated dinner and a variety of musical entertainment, auctions and raffles. To see the amazing auction items that will be available, and to purchase tickets, visit www.elmhurst205.org/foundation_25. A limited quantity of tickets may be available after . If so, they will only be available for purchase through the Foundation office.
DISTRICT 205 PTA SPONSORS 13TH SUMMER RECREATION OPEN HOUSE – This is a free event open to all Elmhurst families and neighboring communities. Plan to bring your children to browse the tables of various organizations offering summer activities and camps for all ages and abilities. Please note the new date and location for this event: , from at York Community High School, 355 W. St. Charles Road.
Additionally, please plan to support the PTA Council Scholarship fundraiser at Potbelly's Sandwich Shop, 544 W. St. Charles, also scheduled for , from . No flier or coupons are needed. The PTA Council will receive a percentage of the total sales collected during those hours. Head on over before or after the Summer Recreation Open House.
PREVENTION IS POWERFUL: COMMUNITY OPEN HOUSE AT ROBERT CROWN – In observance of National Drug Facts Week, the Robert Crown Center (RCC) will be offering this great opportunity for parents, kids and community members to build awareness of substance abuse. This , from , the RCC will host a lineup of interesting presentations, exhibits (such as the powerful In My Shoesart installation) and useful prevention information. For more information, click here, call 630-325-1900 or visitwww.robertcrown.org.
2015 ILLINOIS 5-ESSENTIALS PARENT SURVEY NOW AVAILABLE - The annual Illinois 5Essentials Survey is administered online by the University of Chicago, on behalf of the Illinois State Board of Education. The State will only provide survey results for individual schools if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. If you have children attending more than one school, District 205 asks that you complete the survey for each school. All survey responses will be kept confidential.
To take this short survey:
1. Visit Parent Survey Illinois 5Essentials at
2. Type and then select DuPage County as the location.
3. Type your school's name into the school field and then select your school.
A Spanish translation of the 5-Essentials parent survey letter is available here. Thank you in advance for your participation in supporting our schools' continuous improvement process.
CITY OF ELMHURST HIRING CROSSING GUARDS – The City of Elmhurst is now hiring part-time School Crossing Guards. Open positions are available for Regular and Relief Crossing Guards during the school year. Lead a safe environment for our children and become a staff member of the Elmhurst Police Department.
The safety of our school children is a concern for the City of Elmhurst, District 205 school personnel, all parents and citizens. Training and safety equipment are provided. Starting wage: $11.81 per hour. Applications may be obtained at the Elmhurst Police Department, 125 E. First St., Elmhurst or interested candidates may apply online at this link.
Offers of employment are subject to successful completion of a background check and pre-employment drug screen/physical. The City of Elmhurst is an equal opportunity employer.
GIVE KIDS A SMILE DAY, – The Dental Clinic at DuPage County Health Department is planning the American Dental Association’s 13th annual Give Kids A Smile day for , from . Give Kids A Smile is an annual centerpiece to National Children’s Dental Health Month. It is a one-day event where dentists and dental staff volunteer their time to provide free dental care to low-income and disadvantaged children.
This year’s event will take place at the following two locations: DuPage County Health Department Dental Clinic, 111 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL 60187 and DuPage Children’s Museum (located in the parking lot), Smile Squad Mobile Dental Clinic, 301 N. Washington Street, Naperville, IL 60540.
ELMHURST COMMISSION ON YOUTH SEEKS EXEMPLARY VOLUNTEER NOMINEES – Know an amazing kid? The City of Elmhurst’s Commission on Youth is currently seeking nominees for its annual Exemplary Youth Service Awards, which will be presented on , at Sandburg Middle School. Nominations are currently being accepted for exemplary youth volunteers who reside in the City of Elmhurst or within the boundaries of Elmhurst School District 205 and/or who have given service which has benefited the Elmhurst community.
To nominate an amazing kid, please visit download the form linked below or complete the nomination online by visiting http://tinyurl.com/ExemplaryYouthServiceAwards.
The Exemplary Youth Service Awards program recognizes individuals who have demonstrated at least one of the following criteria through volunteer service: the level of involvement should demonstrate an exemplary commitment; the service must contribute to the health and well-being of a worthy individual or group or the community at large; the service should help promote the spirit of volunteerism.
Nominations may be submitted through . Hard copy forms should be mailed to or dropped off at Elmhurst City Hall, 209 N. York Street, Elmhurst, IL, 60126 and marked: Attention Exemplary Youth Service Awards.
KINDERGARTEN AND “NEW TO FIRST GRADE” ENROLLMENT DATES – Enrollment for 2015-16 incoming kindergarteners and first grade students new to Elmhurst Community Unit School District 205 will take place on , from , February 11, from at the school of attendance serving their home address. On , from , enrollment will only be offered at Conrad Fischer School (for Fischer students) and at the District 205 Center, 162 S. York (serving all District 205 elementary schools).
Students must be five years old on or before , to be enrolled in kindergarten. (The student’s original birth certificate must be submitted as proof.) During the February enrollment, parents/guardians must present three proofs of residency. Additionally, a photo I.D. of the person enrolling the student must be produced for identification purposes.
For a complete list of enrollment procedures, acceptable proofs of residency and additional forms, please see the New Student Enrollment page linked from the District 205 homepage. Parents may contact the District 205 Center at 630-617-4783 to obtain the name and location of the elementary school that serves their home address.
THE COST OF FREE PUBLIC EDUCATION…UNDER THE NEW REALITY – According to the Illinois Constitution, the State shoulders the primary responsibility for financing a free public education system. Yeteducation funding reform legislation (SB16/SB1), pension cost shifts from Springfield to local taxing bodies, vouchers and charter schools will all impact Illinois public education in the near future. Each could result in dramatic financial fallout for suburban districts, such as Elmhurst Community Unit School District 205.
Plan to attend the District 205 PTA Council’s legislative forum “The Cost of Free Public Education…Under the New Reality” on , from at Bryan Middle School, 111 W. Butterfield Road. Learn about these important issues, meet your State legislators, and find out how your tax dollars fund education in Elmhurst. Impact data will be presented by the District 205 administration and Board of Education. This forum is free and open to the public.
Featured speakers will be Peg Agnos, executive director of the Legislative Education Network of DuPage (LEND); Jan Dorner, of the League of Women Voters; State Representatives Patti Bellock (R-47th) and Deb Conroy (D-46th); as well as State Senators Tom Cullerton (D-23rd) and Chris Nybo (R-24th). Hear what these legislators have to say about how they - and you - can advocate for public education.
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK – The District 205 virtual backpack page is a great place to find student and family-oriented activities offered by non-profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly athttp://www.elmhurst205.org/flyers. The following items were recently posted:
- District 205 PTA Council 13th Annual Summer Recreation Open House – Free Event – York High School – Learn About Summer Camps – Something for Everyone –
- Robert Crown Centers for Health Education – Community Open House – Building Awareness of Substance Abuse Risks and Addition Diseases
- York Drama Presents Dogfight – firstname.lastname@example.org at & – Recommended for Ages 13 and Up – Purchase Reserved Tickets at –
- Spring Musical – Big Fish (, 17, & 18 & 19) – Advanced Ticket Sales After Each Performance of Dogfight
- Smile Squad Mobile Dental Clinic – Give A Kid A Smile Day – Free Dental Screenings/Treatment – Children Ages 1 to 18 – to – Locations: DuPage Children's Museum and DuPage Co. Health Department
- Elmhurst Public Library and Middle School PTAs Present – Brain Benders for Grades 6 to 8 – at EPL – Register Beginning January 5 – Drop In or Call to Register
- Nominate an Amazing Kid For The 2015 Exemplary Youth Service Awards – Nomination Form – Sponsored By The City of Elmhurst's Commission on Youth – Nominations Due By –
- Robert Crown Centers for Health Education – Happy To Be Me – The Ultimate Lunch Date – Targeting Girls in Grades 5 to 8 & The Important Women In Their Lives – to
- Homework Help: A Workshop For Parents On Executive Function – to – Register by – Sponsored by Shared Vision Psychological Services
- Elmhurst PTA Council Presents The Cost of Free Public Education...Under the New Reality – – Bryan Middle School Free and Open To The Public
- SCARE (School & Community Assistance for Composting & Recycling Education) Presents Interested In Composting But Not Sure How to Start? – email@example.com – – Elmhurst Public Library – RSVP
BENSENVILLE PARK DISTRICT
- Winter/Spring Program Guide
BENSENVILLE RECREATION AND COMMUNITY PROGRAMMING
- 2014 - 2015 Winter Brochure
- January 2015 Open Swim & Aqua Fitness Calendar
- Learn to Swim – 6 Week Programs For All Ages – Register Now
- York High School PTSA – Pay Less For The Dress – Donate Your Gently Used Formal Dress For This Year's Prom – Also Accepting Dress Shoes – Evening Bags – Hair Accessories – Jewelry And/Or Never Been Opened Nail Polish or Make-Up – Donations Accepted Until
ELMHURST PARK DISTRICT
- Upcoming Programs and Events – Special Talk205 Event Page
ELMHURST PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Calendar of Events
- YMCA – Website
- School's Out Days – Full Day Programs – – Museum of Science & Industry – – Shedd Aquarium – – Field Museum – All Include Swimming at the YMCA
- Summer Camps – Registration Begins – Traditions Full-Day – Kindergarten – Preschool – Teen – Specialty And Sports Camps – Extended Care Available
- 2015 – 2016 Childcare Programs – Registration Begins – Precious People Preschool – Ages 3 to 5 – Kindergarten Enrichment – Grade K – After School Adventures – Grades 1 to 5
- Elmhurst PTA Council Scholarship Fundraiser For York Seniors – Potbelly Sandwich Shop –
- Brian E. Wagner Scholarship Fund – Fifth Annual Bags for Wags Fundraiser – – Visitation Valentino Center – Ages 16 and Older – Discount for Registration by January 24
DuPage Children’s Museum
- January Programs – Closed Due to Water Damage – Call Museum for Reopening Date - 630-637-8000
Elmhurst Historical Museum
- Main Page
Elmhurst Art Museum
- Programs and Classes for Kids and Adults
- Calendar of Events – January Through March – Classes and Events
OPPORTUNITIES TO VOLUNTEER
- Volunteer at Aspire – Many Opportunities Available Single Project – Group Activities – Special Events Call 708-547-3550 x 3554 for More Information
RESOURCES AND REGISTRATION
- Elmhurst Area Children's Choir Presents Honestly, Abe – Rehearsals Begin – For Singers Ages 6 to 12 – Highlight Will Be An All Day Visit to Springfield
- District 205 STEM Education – Importance of STEM & Opportunities – Watch Video Presentation AND PowerPoint with Summer STEM Opportunities for Students