Sign up to receive TALK205 Messages
Interested community members are invited to sign up to receive Talk205 messages from the Elmhurst School District 205 Office of Communications and Public Relations. Talk205 is District 205's communication system, powered by Blackboard Connect. Custodial parents/guardians of District 205 students, as well as District 205 staff, are automatically included in messaging (both email and phone calls) sent through this system. Because Talk205 is connected to our Student Information System, parents need do nothing when students change grade or school - it will automatically be updated.
IF YOU ARE A CUSTODIAL PARENT/GUARDIAN OF A DISTRICT 205 STUDENT, OR A DISTRICT 205 STAFF MEMBER, DO NOT SIGN UP HERE FOR TALK205. You are automatically included if you have already provided your school with an e-mail address.
Click the logo below to subscribe.
Talk205 - June 3
In this issue –
- End-of-Year Message From the Superintendent
- Elmhurst City Centre Hosts School’s Out Party on June 4
- American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life is June 6
- Summer Reading Programs at the Elmhurst Public Library
- Worlds of Wisdom and Wonder Summer Program at Bryan Middle School
- Residency Verification for Incoming York High School Freshmen
- Reminder of 2014-15 Immunization Requirements for Students
- Top Pizza Results Announced; $3,800 Raised
- Talk205 Takes a Summer Break; Board Highlights Continue
- Postings on the Virtual Backpack Page
END-OF-YEAR MESSAGE FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT
With this week marking the last day of school and the start of summer vacation for our students and families, I want to thank you for your involvement in your child(ren)’s education, as well as your confidence and commitment to our district this past year.
Thanks to the collaborative partnership between staff, our families, the Board of Education and the community, District 205 has continued to improve in a number of indicators of success. These range from dramatic increase in college readiness scores for our junior and seniors, to state and national recognition for programs and services ranging from fine arts, science competitions, National Merit Finalists to success on the athletic fields and in the theater.
Your many contributions assist us in creating a positive learning environment for every child in our district. We cannot do this job without your support.
Enjoy the summer break with your family and friends. We are already planning for and looking forward to the first day of school next year and with your help, continued student success and achievement.
ELMHURST CITY CENTRE HOSTS SCHOOL’S OUT PARTY – Kids: come to the City Centre Plaza after school on June 4th for a rockin’ good party, featuring a DJ from 3 to 6 PM. Every Wednesday night from June until August, there will be a Block to Block party from 6 to 9 PM in City Centre with outdoor music and merchant deals. Visit the website for weekly specials and further details.
AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY’S RELAY FOR LIFE IS JUNE 6 – Friday-Saturday, June 6th and 7th will mark the 20th Relay For Life of Elmhurst event. Teams have formed for this family friendly, non-athletic event to be held at Berens Park beginning at 6 PM. Survivors are the guests of honor, along with their caregivers, families and friends. District 205 students have decorated luminaria in honor of loved ones. Relay participants, including the York All Youth team, have been raising funds to enable our local American Cancer Society office to continue to offer free wigs, arrange rides to treatments, consult on cosmetology techniques and provide expert phone consultations around the clock. Visit www.RelayForLife.org/ElmhurstIL to see how you can get involved.
SUMMER READING PROGRAMS AT THE ELMHURST PUBLIC LIBRARY – Kids aren't the only ones who benefit from summer reading. Adults can win prizes too – one raffle chance for every four books you read or listen to. Registration for Elmhurst Public Library’s Summer Reading Program begins on Saturday, June 7 and runs through August 16. Click on this link for details, including suggested reading lists, reviews and prizes.
Everyone who lives in Elmhurst, has an Elmhurst Public Library card, or attends an Elmhurst school is welcome to participate. Look for the special 2014 Summer Reading Edition of Fine Print to see detailed descriptions of all the summer fun. A complete list of prizes, sponsors, activities, reading suggestions and more may be found online at http://www.elmhurstpubliclibrary.org. District 205’s 6th through 8th grade summer reading lists are also posted there.
WORLDS OF WISDOM AND WONDER SUMMER PROGRAM AT BRYAN – District 205 will again partner with The Center for Gifted to offer the Worlds of Wisdom and Wonder summer program for students entering grades Pre-K through 8. Two summer sessions will be held at Bryan Middle School. Session I will meet June 16-27 from 9 AM to 12 noon. Session II will meet June 30-July 18 from 9 AM to 12 noon. Project 2014 is a creative, dynamic summer program for students in grades 6 through 12 and meets from June 30-July 18 (morning only, afternoon only or full day sessions). For more information about courses, tuition and registration please visit: www.centerforgifted.org. Details are also posted on the District Summer School page.
RESIDENCY VERIFICATION FOR INCOMING YORK FRESHMEN – In addition to the residency verification process currently in place, Elmhurst School District 205 will now be conducting an additional annual verification of residency for all incoming freshman students at York High School. This is to help ensure that only students who legally reside within the District’s boundaries receive educational services funded by District tax dollars. Before going through residency verification, each student who will attend York High School during 2014-2015 needs to have completed the Infosnap online registration. An email detailing this new requirement was sent to parents of all incoming freshman students. More information is available by clicking here.
REMINDER OF 2014-15 SCHOOL IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS – Many health care providers are seeing Illinois students for school physicals and immunizations for the upcoming fall. This is a reminder to make sure you understand the code changes and how they may impact your child. The new requirements are spelled out in a letter from the Illinois Department of Public Health which is available here. District 205 requires all students to be in compliance with state mandated physical examination/immunization requirements by October 15th of each school year.
TOP PIZZA RESULTS ANNOUNCED – Over 350 people attended the third annual Top Pizza event, sponsored by the District 205 Foundation for Educational Excellence on Thursday evening, May 8th. While the emphasis was on voting for favorite pizzas, the BIG winners of the night were the students in Elmhurst public schools. All of the evening's proceeds, more than $3,800, will go directly to future Thiems Grants, targeted projects and other initiatives to benefit Elmhurst students and staff.
As for the votes, Roberto’s was the night’s Top Pizza, with Pazzi di Pizza and DiLeo’s taking the silver and bronze. Fratello’s buffalo chicken pizza took Best Specialty Pizza honors for the third year in a row. Lou Malnati’s walked away with Best Crust honors and Pazzi di Pizza won in the Best Sauce category. Best Cheese and Best Sausage went to Roberto’s.
The Foundation is extremely grateful to all participating pizzerias, since without their support, this event would not be possible. The Foundation also thanks Bob James for the entertainment, the bake sale donors and NHS students from York High School who volunteered to help at the event.
For more information on the event or to find out more about the District 205 Foundation for Educational Excellence, please visit www.elmhurst205.org/foundation.
TALK205 TAKES A SUMMER BREAK/BOARD HIGHLIGHTS CONTINUE – On most Mondays during this school year, you have received a Talk205 email message, bringing you news and information about District activities and events. During the summer months, Talk205 emails will be issued occasionally, when warranted, but not on a regular basis until we approach the beginning of school in August. Board Highlights, which are distributed via email following District 205 Board of Education meetings, will continue in conjunction with the June 17, July 15 and August 12 meetings. Highlights are also posted (and archived) on the District website.
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK – The District 205 Virtual Backpack page is a great place to find student and family-oriented activities offered by non-profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly at www.elmhurst205.org/flyers. The following items were recently posted:
- The Great Donation Day– Collecting Gently-Used School Supplies – May 27 through June 4 – Only at the Following Schools – Churchville, Edison, Emerson, Field, Hawthorne, Jackson, Jefferson, Lincoln, Sandburg, York – See Website for Accepted Items
- Elmhurst City Centre – School’s Out for Summer Event – Come to the City Centre Plaza – June 4 from 3 to 6 PM – There Will Be a DJ – Fun and Much More – Plus – Block to Block Party Every Wednesday – 6 to 9 PM – Free Music – Family Fun and Fabulous Specials
- Edge Ice Arena's 16th Annual Ice Show – Peter Pan on Ice – June 13 and 14 at 7 PM – See Website for Ticket Information
- Elmhurst Bike Club and Elmhurst Bike Task Force Present Elmhurst Family Bicycling – Sundays at 3 PM – June 15 – July 20 – August 10 – See Website for More Information
- Meet the Author of Yardstick – A Life Measured – Rick McGee (York 1977 Graduate) – June 20 – 5 to 9 PM and June 21 – 4 to 8 PM – Portion of the Proceeds Donated to the York Distinguished Alumni Program and York Boosters
- York Summer School
- Title I and III (Fischer)
- Instrumental Music
- Worlds of Wisdom and Wonder
- Elmhurst College Eco-Tour – June 10 at 7 PM – Tour the LEED Certified West Hall Dorm
Free Event – Public Welcome
- JUNE JAZZ – Celebration of the Arts – Free Admission Featuring Doc Severinsen With Byron Stripling and Vanessa Thomas – Accompanied by the Elmhurst College Jazz Band – June 14 - 6:30 PM - Elmhurst College Mall
- Study for Finals for Elmhurst High School Students – Dates: May 28 – May 29 – May 31 – June 1 – June 2 – ID Will be Required – See Website for More Information
- Chess Tournament – June 6 – From 6 to 8:45 PM – Ages 6 to 14 – Large Meeting Room – Players at All Levels Welcome
- Summer Reading Program – June 7 to August 16 – Newborn to 11 Months – Age 1 to Entering Grade 5 – Entering Grades 6 to 8 – Entering Grades 9 to 12 – Adult From Ages 18+
- Father's Day Freedom 5K/2 Mile Walk – June 15 at 9 AM – Danada Forest Preserve – Proceeds Benefit Big Brother Big Sisters
- DuPage Children’s Museum June Calendar
- Elmhurst Art Museum – Coming Events
- Elmhurst Artists Guild – Triplicity – Wes Baker – Peter Steeves – Randal Stringer – May 27 to July 3 – Reception – May 30 – 7 to 9 PM
Resources and Registration
- Schedule School and Sports Physicals Today – Discounted Rates and Vaccines Available – Visiting Nurse Association – Bensenville Location 28 N. York Rd. More Information Here
- AYSO Extra Team Try-Outs – Must be Registered With AYSO to Try-Out – Boys U9-U11 – June 2 From 6 to 7 PM – Boys U12 & U13 – June 2 From 7:15 to 8:15 PM – Girls U9 – U14 – June 3 From 4:30 to 5:30 PM – Try-Outs Take Place at Eldridge Park
- Yoga Shala Kids and Teens, NFP – Tuesdays - June 10 to August 12 From 5 to 5:45 PM –Drop-In for $5 for Grades 3 to 8 – Beginners Welcomed – See Website for More Information
- Great Things to Do at Brookfield Zoo – Viva la Fiesta - June 7- 8 and 14 -15 – Summer Nights – June 20 - July 26 – Kratt Brothers Concert – August 23 – 24 – Plus Much More
- Lions Jrs Fall Volleyball League – Co-ed Leagues for Grades 1 to 8 – Invitational League for Jr. High Ages (Tryouts Required) – Register Online Here
- Catholic Charities Back to School Fair – Free School Supplies – K-12 Grade – Many Other Services Provided Free – Odeum Expo Center – August 6 – 11 AM to 6 PM – See Website for More Information
- Bensenville Recreation – Program Booklet
- Gateway Special Education Recreation Association – Summer Catalog
- Elmhurst Eagles Youth Football and Cheer – Registration Ages 7 to 14 Register Here
- Team Elmhurst Soccer Club – Under 7 Soccer Program – 1st Grade Boys/Girls – Fall and Spring Soccer Skills Training and Games – Starts September 9 – Register Here
Summer Sports Camps
- Elmhurst College Summer Soccer Camps – June and July Dates
- Elmhurst College Middle School Volleyball Camp – June 16 to June 19 – Ages 8 to 11 From 9 to 11 AM – Ages 12 to 14 – Noon to 2:30 PM
- Elmhurst College Wrestling Camp – July 7 to 11 – Monday Through Friday – 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM – Ages 6 to 18
- Elmhurst College Basketball Skills Camp Boys and Girls – Ages 4 to 13 – Two Sessions – July 22 to 25 – 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM – July 28 to July 31 – 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM
- Illinois Girls Lacrosse Association - Summer Camps – Berens Park Location (Other Locations Available) – Beginner and Experienced –June 30 to July 3 – 10am to 12pm – Click Here for Website
- YMCA Summer Sport Camps and Leagues – Half-Day Sports Camps (Ages 6 to 10) – Basketball Leagues – Floor Hockey Leagues (Ages 5 to 12)
- Elmhurst Swim Team – Register Now for Summer Stroke Clinic and Summer Swim Season
- Microsoft Free Summer Camps – Oak Brook Mall – Classes Available for Ages 8 to 10 and Ages 11 to 13 – Click Here for Website
- Elmhurst Children's Theatre Summer Drama Camps – Week One – June 16 to 20 – 9 AM to Noon – Grades 1 to 3 – Grades 4 to 6 – Grades 6 to 8 AND Week Two – June 23 to 27 – 9 AM to Noon – Grades 2 to 4 – Grades 5 to 8
- Elmhurst College Half Day Summer Camp – Ages 4 to 9 – Eight Weekly Camps – June 9 to August 8 – Hours 9 AM to Noon
- Bensenville Water's Edge – Summer 1 – Learn to Swim – June 1 to July 5 – See Website for More Information
- YMCA – Summer Camp and Programs – Join the Fun – Register Today
- Elmhurst College – Community Music Program – Voice and 17 Instruments – Ages 6 and Up –Begins June 9 – 8 or 10 Week Summer Term
- College of DuPage – Summer Youth Academy
- Elmhurst College Summer Music Camps – June to August – Click Here for More Information
- Timothy Christian School – Chinese/American Cross Cultural Camp – July 19 to August 3 – 9 AM to 3 PM –See Website for More Information
- Salvation Army Day Camp – June 16 to July 25 for Ages 4 to 12 – Monday to Friday – 9 AM to 3 PM – Extended Care Available – See Website for More Information
- American Music Institute – Summer Music Camp – June 16 to August 8 – Ages 5 to 12 and Ages 13 to 18 – Weekly Enrollment Available
- ZENO – Math Campers – Explore the Ancient Secrets of Numbers – July 7 to 11 – 10 AM to 1 PM
- NIU Summer Academic Camps Residential Camps – Grades 9 to 12 – Day Camps – Grades 6 to 8 – See Website for More Information
- NIU Summer Academic Camps – Residential Camps – Grades 9 to 12 Day Camps – Grades 6 to 8 AND College of Engineering and Engineering Technology For Middle and High School Students
- Spotlight Summer Camp – Sing – Dance – Act – Ages 5 to 12 – July 28 to August 1
9 AM to 3 PM
- YMCA Camp Duncan Resident Camp – Ages 7 to 16 – 3 Day – 1 Week or 2 Week Sessions
- The Center for Gifted – Project 2014 – Students Entering Grades 6 to 12
- The Center for Gifted – World of Wisdom and Wonder – Students Entering PreK to 8
- Robert Crown – Body Trek Summer Science Camp – June 16 to 26 – 12:30 to 4 PM – Grades 6 to 8 Explore an Action-Packed Trip Through the Human Body
- Open Books – Become a Published Fantasy Author or Graphic Novelist – July 8 to 31 – Grades 7 (Fall of 2014) and Up – More Information