Sign up to receive TALK205 Messages
Interested community members are invited to sign up to receive Talk205 messages from the Elmhurst School District 205 Office of Communications and Public Relations. Talk205 is District 205's communication system, powered by Blackboard Connect. Custodial parents/guardians of District 205 students, as well as District 205 staff, are automatically included in messaging (both email and phone calls) sent through this system. Because Talk205 is connected to our Student Information System, parents need do nothing when students change grade or school - it will automatically be updated.
IF YOU ARE A CUSTODIAL PARENT/GUARDIAN OF A DISTRICT 205 STUDENT, OR A DISTRICT 205 STAFF MEMBER, DO NOT SIGN UP HERE FOR TALK205. You are automatically included if you have already provided your school with an e-mail address.
Click the logo below to subscribe.
Latest Talk205 - 5.29.13
In this issue –
- End-of-Year Message From the Superintendent
- New ‘Spotlight On York’ Webpage Highlights the Class of 2013
- Spotlight On 205 Page Features Ruth Strand Poster Winners
- Worlds of Wisdom And Wonder Summer Program
- Elmhurst’s Relay for Life is June 7-8 at Berens Park
- York Alumni Return for Edges Production, June 14 Only
- Dig Into Reading at the Elmhurst Public Library
- How to Apply for Disaster Assistance Through FEMA
- Talk205 Takes A Summer Break/Board Highlights Continue
- Postings on the Virtual Backpack page
END-OF-YEAR MESSAGE FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT
It is hard to believe we are already finished with yet another successful school year. Thank you for your involvement in your child(ren)’s education and for sharing in the many successes, both large and small, that we have accomplished together.
Over 600 York Community High School graduates walked across the stage on Sunday, May 19, to receive their diploma and begin their journey to adulthood. They are a great class of seniors who represent the culmination of 13 years of quality teaching and learning in District 205, for which this community can be very proud!
Please know that we are committed to creating a positive learning environment for each child in District 205. We are grateful for the parents and community partners who assist with that mission every day. Congratulations to all of our students for their hard work and progress this year!
Enjoy the summer break – rest, relax and rejuvenate. We are already planning for and looking forward to the first day of school on Monday, August 19.
NEW ‘SPOTLIGHT ON YORK’ WEBPAGE HIGHLIGHTS CLASS OF 2013 – The York Community High School 2013 Commencement ceremony, along with slideshows and senior-related programs (Scholarship Awards night and Academic/Athletic Awards night) are available for viewing on York’s website and may be viewed by clicking here. Remember to check out and like York’s Facebook page as well. The Class of 2013 was awarded approximately $128,000 in scholarship monies!
SPOTLIGHT ON 205 PAGE FEATURES RUTH STRAND POSTER WINNERS – Second and third graders took a very colorful and creative approach to depicting Elmhurst history as shown in the 356 entries that were submitted for the annual Ruth Strand Poster Contest. The first place poster, created by Abby Thomas of Jackson School, was a beautiful drawing of the Wilder Park Conservatory. Elmhurst Park District’s executive director Jim Rogers presented Abby with a special certificate recognizing her detailed portrayal of the conservatory. Rachael Schrage (Lincoln) and Ruth Mathew (Hawthorne) tied for second place, while Eric Anderson (Jefferson) and Lauren Richards (Emerson) tied for third.
Honorable mention went to: Tieg Haller (Lincoln), Ashley Zwolinski (Visitation), Emma Casey (Hawthorne), Madison Tran (Jefferson), Autumn Caraher (Emerson), Gabriella Sowles (Jackson), Cristian Velasques (Conrad Fischer), Lilly Hoffer (Immanuel Lutheran) and Aaron Hudson (Field). Pictures are posted on the Spotlight On 205 page as well as the District 205 Facebook page.
WORLDS OF WISDOM AND WONDER SUMMER PROGRAM – District 205 will again offer The Center for Gifted Worlds of Wisdom and Wonder summer program for students entering grades Pre-K through 8. Two summer sessions will be held at Sandburg Middle School. Session I will meet June 10-21 from 9:20 AM -12 noon. Session II will meet June 24-July 5 from 9:20 AM – 12 noon. Register now to receive a 10% discount. For more information about courses, tuition and online registration please visit: www.centerforgifted.org. Details are also posted on the District Summer School page.
ELMHURST'S RELAY FOR LIFE IS JUNE 7 – Friday-Saturday, June 7th and 8th will be the 19th Relay For Life of Elmhurst event. Teams have formed for this family friendly, non-athletic event to be held at Berens Park beginning at 6 PM. Survivors are the guests of honor, along with their caregivers, families and friends. Relay participants have been raising funds to enable our local American Cancer Society (ACS) office to continue to offer free wigs, arrange rides to treatments, consult on cosmetology techniques and provide expert phone consultations around the clock. Hard times are hardest for those fighting for their health, and efforts to raise funds to help are more needed than ever. Visit www.RelayForLife.org/ElmhurstIL to see how you can get involved.
YORK ALUMNI RETURN FOR MUSICAL PRODUCTION, JUNE 14 ONLY – Edges: A Song Cycle is a work of musical theatre by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul about coming of age, growth and self-discovery of people mostly in their 20s. Its most famous song, Be My Friend, has come to be commonly known as the "Facebook song." On Friday, June 14, at 7:30 PM, York’s High School’s talented alumni Keith Potts (BFA in musical Theatre, The Boston Conservatory), Michael St. Peter (The Julliard School, Vocal Performance), Jack McFarlane (Ball State University, Musical Theatre), Kelsey Roberts (Syracuse University, Musical Theatre), Melanie Hughes (BS, University of Illinois, Music Education) and Julie Peterson (The Boston Conservatory, Musical Theatre) return to York’s Baker Auditorium for a one night only performance of Pasek and Paul’s poignant production.
Tickets are $15 for adults and $10 for students. This production is recommended for high school age and up. All seating is reserved and advanced ticket sales will be held on Thursday, June 6 and Tuesday, June 11 from 6-8 PM at the York Auditorium Box Office.
Join us after the show in the York Commons for desert, jazz, and a silent auction to benefit York’s Student Enrichment Team (YSET). This is a night not to be missed!
DIG INTO READING AT THE ELMHURST PUBLIC LIBRARY (EPL) – Studies show that children who read through the summer months retain more of their academic skills and are better prepared to learn at the start of the new school year. But kids aren't the only ones who benefit from summer reading. At the EPL, adults can win prizes too – one raffle chance for every four books you read or listen to (seriously, how easy is that?). Registration for Elmhurst Public Library’s Summer Reading Program begins on Saturday, June 1 and runs through August 10.
Click on this link for details, including suggested reading lists, reviews and prizes (like pizza, frozen treats, giant prize baskets and even eReaders).
The Kick-Off Day on Saturday, June 1, will be bursting with fun events for children, as well as mark a starting point for teens and adults to begin logging their reading progress. Kids' events include:
- Professional juggler and unicyclist Mike Vondruska, who will perform tricks in the Kids' Library from 10:00 AM to noon and from 1 to 3 PM
- Face Painting from 10 AM to noon and 1 to 3 PM
- Puppets on the Wilder Side – a favorite of all, young and old – performing at 10:30 AM, 11:30 AM, 1:30 PM and 2:30 PM
Everyone who lives in Elmhurst, has an Elmhurst Public Library card, or attends an Elmhurst school is welcome to participate. Look for the special 2013 Summer Reading Edition of Fine Print to see detailed descriptions of all the summer fun. A complete list of prizes, sponsors, activities, reading suggestions and more may be found online at http://www.elmhurstpubliclibrary.org.
HOW TO APPLY FOR DISASTER ASSISTANCE FROM FEMA – DuPage County is among 25 counties currently under a Presidential Declaration to be eligible for disaster assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for those affected by the severe storms, straight-line winds and flooding from April 16-May 5, 2013. If you sustained losses or damage, you may call 1-800-621 FEMA (3362) to apply.
FEMA has established Disaster Recovery Centers (DRC) within the designated counties. The DRCs are in place so a disaster survivor/business owner can register and/or check on the status of their application. Other resources (local and state), such as disaster unemployment representatives, voluntary agencies and the U.S. Small Business Administration, are also available through the DRC. For more information, or to apply, visit www.DisasterAssistance.gov.
TALK205 TAKES A SUMMER BREAK/BOARD HIGHLIGHTS CONTINUE – On most Mondays during this school year, you have received a Talk205 email message, bringing you news and information about District activities and events. During the summer months, Talk205 emails will be issued occasionally, when warranted, but not on a regular basis until we approach the beginning of school in August. Board Highlights, which are distributed via email following District 205 Board of Education meetings, will continue as the Board meets throughout the summer. Highlights are also posted (and archived) on the District website.
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK – The District 205 virtual backpack page is a great place to find student and family-oriented activities offered by non-profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly at http://www.elmhurst205.org/flyers. We will continue to post items over the summer break. The following opportunities comprise the current list:
- The Great Donation Day – Last Week of School (May 20 – 29) Donate Unwanted School Supplies at Your School – See Flyer for Accepted Items
- Community Health Fair – York and North Avenue – June 8 - 9 AM to 1 PM – Free School Physicals – Sports Physicals – Children's Immunizations – Dental – Eye – Hearing Screenings and Much More – Spanish Interpreters Available
- First Annual Elmhurst Cycling Classic – Family Friendly Day of Amateur and Pro Bike Racing – July 19 - In Front of Wilder Mansion – Join the Family Fun Ride at 5:50 PM - See Flyer for More Information
Elmhurst Park District
- Hershey Track and Field Competition – Ages 9 to 14 – May 31 – 5:30 - 8:30 PM – Free
See Website for Registration
- Skate Competition – Try Your Moves - Half Pipe, Best Trick, Free Skate, and a Game of SKATE – June 8 at 11 AM – Ages 8 and Older – $5 Resident/$5 Non-Resident fee – York Commons Skate Park
- Summer, Preschool and Specialty Camps
- Half-Day Sports Camps – Age 6 – 10 Monday – Wednesday and Friday – 9 AM to 12 PM
- Elmhurst Art Museum – Summer Calendar
- DuPage Children’s Museum – May and June Calendars
- Lizzadro Museum – Special Events at the Museum – See Website for More Information
Resources and Registration
- PTA Summer Recreation – Resource List
- Yoga Shala Kids N.F.P. For Kids and Teens – Grades 3 - 8 (In Fall 2013) Drop-In – Tuesdays – 5 to 5:45 PM – June 14 - Aug. 13 – $5
- Spirito! Singers Auditions for 2013-14 Season – For Girls Grades 5-8 – Email or call for Audition – firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-941-0744
- Fullersburg Woods – Earn Boy Scouts Merit Badges – Bird Study – Mammal Study – Insect Study – Forestry – See Website for More Information
- NIU – STEM Outreach – For K-12 Students and Families
- Water's Edge and Wahoo Swim Team Cosmic Swim Party – June 14 - 6 to 8 PM – Dancing – Music – Concessions
- Girls Youth Lacrosse Fall League – Girls Grades 3-9 (Divided into 3-6 and 7-9 Grades) – Sept. 8 - Oct. 20 – Registration Opens July 1
- Team Elmhurst Soccer Club Tryouts – May 5 – June 4 - Berens Park – Ages 7 – 18 –Register Online: www.elmhurstsoccer.com
- Lions Jrs. Volleyball Club Fall League – Register at: www.volleyleague.com
- University of Illinois Extension Summer Workshops – Monarch Magic – Ages 5 to 10 – June 7 – Intro to Robotics – Ages 8 to 18 – June 24 – Model Rocketry Workshop – Ages 8 to 18 – June 24 – Register http://web.extension.illinois.edu/dkk/
- Robert Crown Center for Health Education Body Trek – Summer Science Camp – Grades 6-8
June 17 - 27 – 12:30 to 4 PM
- Zeno Summer Math Camp Grades 3-5 – June 24 - June 28 – 1 to 4 PM – Oak Brook Center
- College of DuPage Summer Youth Academy – Through August – Camp Locations – Wheaton – Glen Ellyn – Naperville – See Flyer for Dates - Grade Levels - Fees
- Center for Gifted – Worlds of Wisdom and Wonder – June 10-21 and June 24-July 5 – Sandburg Middle School – See Website for Complete Information
- Center for Gifted Project 13 – For Students Entering Grade 6 - 12 – July 1 - 19 – Morning/Full Day/Afternoon Classes Location: McCracken Middle School – Skokie – See Website for Transportation Information
- Salvation Army Day Camp – For Ages 4-12 – June 10 - July 26 M-F – 9 to 3 PM – Extended Hours Available
- Elmhurst Children's Theatre Summer Drama Camps – Grades 1-3, 4-6 and 7-8 – 9 AM to Noon – Monday-Friday – See Flyer for Dates – http://www.elmhurstchildrenstheatre.com
- Northwestern University – Center for Talent Development Summer Program at Elmhurst College – One/Two/Three Week Programs for Academically Talented Children – Grades 3-8
- Elmhurst Art Museum – Summer Camps
- Spotlight Summer Camp Youth Theater – Location: Timothy Christian School – Ages 5 -18 and Ages 11 to 18 and Middle School and High School Overnight Camp – See Flyer for Complete Dates and Times – www.spotlight.org
- Concordia University STEAM Camps – Bust the Myth - Grades 6-8 – Is it True? - Grades 3-5 – Location: Immanuel Lutheran School
Summer Camps – Sports
- Elmhurst College Volleyball Middle School Camp – June 12-14 - 9 to 11 AM – Register by June 1
- Elmhurst College Wrestling Camp – July 8 – 12 – Monday Through Friday – 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM – Ages 6–18
- Girls Youth Lacrosse – Summer Camp – Girls Grades 3-9 (Fall 2013) – July 8-11
- Basketball Skills Camp - Elmhurst College July 23 – July 26 – 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM Boys and Girls – Ages 4-13
- Elmhurst College Girls Basketball Camp – Grades 1 – 8 – June 17 - 20 - 9 AM to 12 Noon
- Access Sports – Spring and Summer Volunteer Opportunities