In this issue –
ELMHURST CITY CENTRE HOSTS SCHOOL’S OUT FOR SUMMER! PARTY – Kids: come to the City Centre Fountain Plaza after school on June 3rd for a rockin’ good party, featuring a DJ from 3 to 6 PM, along with prizes and surprises. Every Wednesday night from June until August, there will be a Block to Block party from 6 to 9 PM in City Centre with outdoor music and merchant deals. Visit the website for weekly specials and further details.
FREE SUMMER MEALS AVAILABLE THROUGH THE HUNGER HOTLINE – The zip code may not be as recognizable as Beverly Hills, but DuPage County is one of the wealthiest counties in the Midwest. And yet many DuPage families are struggling to put food on the table. The culprits robbing middle-class families nationwide of the American promise include unexpected, crippling unemployment and unrelenting rising food prices. Programs like the Hunger Hotline, sponsored by the Illinois Hunger Coalition, are the last line of defense against hunger for millions of American families.
This summer, when school is not in session, children ages 18 and under (or disabled persons of any age) may receive healthy, free meals at summer food sites. Call the Hunger Hotline at 1-800-359-2163 Monday - Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM for the location nearest you (Se habla español). This program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and administered by the Illinois State Board of Education. Flyers are posted in English and Spanish on the Virtual Backpack page.
JOY OF CYCLING POSTER WINNERS ANNOUNCED – The Elmhurst Cycling Classic, a day of professional and amateur bike racing scheduled for July 24th, announces the winners of its recent bike-themed poster-art contest. Third and fourth grade students from any Elmhurst school were eligible to submit their artwork on the theme The Joy of Cycling. Hundreds of entries were judged by RGL Marketing for the Arts, the producer of Elmhurst’s Art in the Park event. Winning artwork will be on display at Brew Point Café, on Park Avenue, or Cocomero, on York Street, in Elmhurst.
A grand prize winner was named, as well as 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners for each grade level at each participating school. The Grand Prize was a crisp, $100 bill encased in a collector’s acrylic slab.
- 1st Place winners received a $20 gift card to HB Jones
- 2nd Place winners received a $15 gift card to HB Jones
- 3rd Place winners received a $10 gift card to HB Jones
Click here for a complete list of winners. All prizes will be distributed on the day of the race, right before the Family Fun Ride. Winners are invited to ride at the front of the pack in the Family Fun Ride on July 24th, so be sure to pre-register for free at Olympia Chiropractic at 533 S. York in Elmhurst.
SUMMER READING PROGRAMS AT THE ELMHURST PUBLIC LIBRARY – Little kids aren't the only ones who benefit from summer reading. Adults and young adults can win prizes too – one raffle chance for every four books you read or listen to. Registration for Elmhurst Public Library’s Summer Reading Program begins on Saturday, June 6; the program runs through August 15. Click on this linkfor details, including suggested reading lists, reviews and prizes.
Everyone who lives in Elmhurst, has an Elmhurst Public Library card, or attends an Elmhurst school is welcome to participate. Look for the special 2015 Summer Reading Edition of Fine Print to see detailed descriptions of all the summer fun. A complete list of prizes, sponsors, activities, reading suggestions and more may be found at this link. District 205’s 6th through 8th grade summer reading lists will soon be posted on the EPL website as well.
WORLDS OF WISDOM AND WONDER SUMMER PROGRAM – District 205 will again offer The Center for Gifted Worlds of Wisdom and Wonder summer program for students entering grades Pre-K through 8. Three summer sessions will be held at Sandburg Middle School. Session 1 will meet June 15-26 from 9 AM -12 noon; Session 2 will meet June 29-July 10 from 9 AM – 12 noon; and Session 3 will meet from July 13-17, 9 AM – 3 PM or 9 AM – noon. Project 2015, for grades 6-12, meets June 29-July 17. For more information about courses, tuition and online registration please visit:www.centerforgifted.org. Details are also posted on the District Summer School page.
ELMHURST'S RELAY FOR LIFE BEGINS ON JUNE 12 – Friday-Saturday, June 12th and 13th will be the 21st Relay For Life of Elmhurst event. Teams have formed for this family friendly, non-athletic event to be held at Berens Park beginning at 6 PM. Survivors are the guests of honor, along with their caregivers, families and friends. District 205 school children have been coloring luminaria. Relay participants are raising funds to enable our local American Cancer Society (ACS) office to continue to offer free wigs, arrange rides to treatments, consult on cosmetology techniques and provide expert phone consultations around the clock. Hard times are hardest for those fighting for their health, and efforts to raise funds to help are more needed than ever. Visit www.RelayForLife.org/ElmhurstIL to see how you can get involved.
2015 COMMUNICATION SERVICES SURVEY NOW POSTED – District 205 stakeholders are invited to participate in a Communication Services survey for 2015. In order to best serve your communication needs, we are asking parents, staff and community members to weigh in on this topic. The 45-question online form takes about five minutes to complete. Your feedback is important to us. Please click here now through June 19 to participate.
ELEMENTARY INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC PROGRAM REGISTRATION – Elmhurst District 205 offers the opportunity for all students in fourth grade and above to learn to play a string, woodwind, brass or percussion instrument through the Instrumental Music Program. Instruction on string instruments is offered through the orchestra program. Instruction on woodwind, brass, and percussion instruments is offered through the band program. For a description of the elementary instrumental music program, please click here.
In August and September 2015, all fourth-grade and fifth-grade students will have the opportunity to enroll in the District 205 Instrumental Music Program. Students who are continuing into fifth grade will be automatically reenrolled in the fall. Parents may pay the District fee online at theDistrict Webstore or pay by check in September.
Current third-grade and fourth-grade students who are not in band or orchestra will be able to register in August and September. The three-step registration process is designed to give every student the opportunity to select an appropriate beginning instrument. Registration must be completed by speaking with a director by phone or at a registration night.
TALK205 TAKES A SUMMER BREAK/BOARD HIGHLIGHTS CONTINUE – On most Mondays during this school year, you have received a Talk205 email message full of news and information about District activities and events. During the summer months, Talk205 emails will be issued occasionally, when warranted, but not on a regular basis until we approach the beginning of school in August. The last Talk205 message of the school year is today, June 1. Board Highlights, which are distributed via email following District 205 Board of Education meetings, will continue as the Board meets throughout the summer. Highlights are also posted (and archived) on the District website.
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK – The District 205 Virtual Backpack page is a great place to find student and family-oriented activities offered by non-profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly at www.elmhurst205.org/flyers. The following items were recently posted:
- Elmhurst College June Jazz Presents The Manhattan Transfer – Accompanied By The Elmhurst College Jazz Band on June 13 – 6:30 PM – Elmhurst College Mall – Free and Open To The Public
- ProActive Kids Presents Free Program for Overweight Children – Health Education Program for children 8 to 14 – Starts June 8 at Addison Park District
- Yoga Shala Kids and Teens NFP – Drop-In for $5 – No Pre-Registration – Tuesday Kids Yoga – Grades 1 to 4 Tuesday Teen Yoga – Grades 5 and Up – Beginners Welcome – For All Levels of Experience
2015 DISTRICT 205 SUMMER SCHOOL
- York Summer School – Academic & Athletic
- Instrumental Music
- Worlds of Wisdom & Wonder
2015 SUMMER ACADEMIC CAMPS
- Center For Gifted – D205 Students Use HOE205S15 For 10% Discount
Worlds of Wisdom And Wonder – Grades Pre-K to 8 – Session I – June 15 to 26 – Session II – June 29 to July 10 – Session III – July 13 to 17 – Location: Sandburg Middle School
Project 2015 – Grades 6 to 12 – June 29 to July 17 – Location: Sandburg Middle School – Free Bus Service From Select Locations
S.T.E.M. – Science – Technology – Engineering – Math – Summer Wonders – Innovative Summer 2015 Opportunities to Challenge Scientific Minds
- Northwestern University Center for Talent Development Summer Programs –Locations: Elmhurst College – Naperville – NU (Evanston) – Program For Students Age 4 to Grade 12
- College of DuPage Summer Youth Academy
- Summer @ Illinois Tech – For Middle and High School Students Interested In
Technology – Business – Architecture Science – Engineering – Computers
2015 SUMMER ALL AROUND CAMPS
- YMCA Summer Camps – Full-Day Kindergarten – Preschool Teen – Specialty Sport Camps
- DuPage Children's Museum – Summer Camps 2015 – for Grade School and Preschool –Plus Jim Gill's Family Room Tour – August 22 – $5 Per Person
- Robert Crown Centers for Heath Education Happy To Be Me Summer Camp For Girls– Grades 6 to 7 – August 3 to 7 From1 to 4 PM – What Makes You Happy? Find Out!
- ICCP Summer Youth Enrichment Classes & Athletic Camps – Registration Now Open
- DuPage 4H Summer Programs – Includes Exotic Bird Program – Stem – Food Preservation
2015 SUMMER MUSIC/THEATRE OPPORTUNITIES
- Elmhurst College Summer Music Program – Includes Music Academy – Jazz Combo Camp – Credo Prelude Chicago – Credo Flute – Vocal Voyage Camp – Acoustic Guitar Boot Camp
- Hatbox Theatre Presents (Formerly DIY Summer Theatre) – Ruthless The Musical – Grades 4 to 9 June 8 – 12 – 9 AM to 6 PM
- Elmhurst Children's Theatre Summer Drama Camps – Week 1 – June 15 to 19 – Week 2 – June 22 to 26 – For Grades 1 to 3 and 3 to 5 and 5 to 8
- American Music Institute – Summer Music Camps for Ages 5 to 18 – June 22 to 26
2015 SUMMER OUTDOOR CAMPS
- Forest Preserve District of DuPage County – Nature Fest – June 27 – 11 AM To 5 PM
Hand-On Event For Kids Of All Ages To Discover Nature
- DuPage Forest Preserve Ranger Adventures – Grades 4 to 8 – Weekly – June 15 to August 10
And Ranger Leadership Camp – Ages 13 to 17 – July 27 to 31
2015 SUMMER SPORTS CAMPS
- ILS Bubble Ball Soccer League For Boys and Girls – Grades 1 to 8 Begins – June 4–Thursday and Fridays – $75 Per Child
- Elmhurst College Volleyball Camp – Grade School & Middle School – June 12 To 14 – AM Session – $85 – PM Session $100 – 7 to 11 Years – 9 to 11 AM – 12 to 14 Years – Noon to2:30 PM
- Elmhurst College Girls’ Basketball Camp – Grades 1 to 8 June 22 to 25 – 8:30 AM toNoon
- 2015 Basketball Skills Camp At Elmhurst College –For Boys and Girls Ages 4 To 14 – Session 1 – July 21 To July 24 – Session 2 – July 27 To July 30 – Cost – $210 Per Camper/Camp
BENSENVILLE PARK DISTRICT
BENSENVILLE RECREATION AND COMMUNITY PROGRAMMING
- Bensenville Recreation & Community Program – Summer Brochure
- Bensenville Wahoo – Water's Edge Aquatic Center – Swim Team – June 9 to July 31–Ages 6 to 18
ELMHURST PARK DISTRICT
ELMHURST PUBLIC LIBRARY
Elmhurst Historical Museum
- Main Page
- Elmhurst Memory Jar Project – Share a Memory That Tells Your Story May 1 – May 31
- Summer Fun and Games – Tuesdays – Noon To 2 PM – Ages 4 to 12 – June 23 – July 28
2$ – Members – 4$ – Non-Members and Pigskin Peanuts - 2015 Exhibit – June 12 to August 9 – Free Admission – All Ages and Touchdown Tailgate Party – June 28 – 1 to 4 PM – Free Admission
Elmhurst Art Museum
- Elmhurst Artists' Guild – Presents Dana De Ano – Town and Country – May 5 to June 12
- Programs and Classes for Kids and Adults
OPPORTUNITIES TO VOLUNTEER
- Volunteer at Aspire – Many Opportunities Available Single Project – Group Activities –Special Events Call 708-547-3550 x 3554 for More Information
- Elmhurst Historical Museum – Fun and Games Summer Program – High School Students Needed Tuesdays – June 23 to July 28 – Noon to 2 PM
RESOURCES AND REGISTRATION
- St. Charles Borromeo – Vacation Bible School – June 15 to 19 – Entering Grades K to 5
$30 Per Child – $25 Child Care
- Call Illinois Hunger Coalition's Hunger Hotline To Find a Summer Meals Site Near You –Hunger Hotline – 1-800-359-2163