Sign up to receive TALK205 Messages
Interested community members are invited to sign up to receive Talk205 messages from the Elmhurst School District 205 Office of Communications and Public Relations. Talk205 is District 205's communication system, powered by Blackboard Connect. Custodial parents/guardians of District 205 students, as well as District 205 staff, are automatically included in messaging (both email and phone calls) sent through this system. Because Talk205 is connected to our Student Information System, parents need do nothing when students change grade or school - it will automatically be updated.
IF YOU ARE A CUSTODIAL PARENT/GUARDIAN OF A DISTRICT 205 STUDENT, OR A DISTRICT 205 STAFF MEMBER, DO NOT SIGN UP HERE FOR TALK205. You are automatically included if you have already provided your school with an e-mail address.
Click the logo below to subscribe.
Talk205 - March 3
In this issue –
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Spring Road – Saturday, March 8
- Reminder to “Spring Ahead” This Sunday, March 9
- ACT/SAT Writing Seminar at the Elmhurst Public Library
- York Drama to Stage Aida, March 20-23; Presales March 10-12
- All-District Student Late Arrival Day Wednesday, March 12
- 18th Annual District 205 Chess Tournament for 2nd-8th Graders
- Summer School Offerings Now Posted Online - Including Music Program
- PTA Fannie Mae Fundraiser to Support York Scholarships
- YDAP to Sponsor Try-Athlon II March 23 at Fitz’s; Sign Up Now!
- Postings on the Virtual Backpack Page
ST. PATRICK’S DAY PARADE – Saturday, March 8, is the 18th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Spring Road. Marching in the parade will be members of the District 205 Board of Education, as well as the York High School Marching Band and Flag Corp.
REMINDER TO “SPRING AHEAD” THIS SUNDAY – Daylight Saving Time returns this Sunday, March 9. Please remember to turn your clocks ahead one hour.
ACT/SAT WRITING SEMINAR AT THE ELMHURST LIBRARY – Learn score-raising strategies for both the ACT and SAT essays from an expert Kaplan instructor at the Elmhurst Public Library (EPL) on Tuesday, March 11, from 7-8:30 PM in the Large Meeting Room. Through this seminar, high school students will gain a better understanding of the rubric used to grade the essays and work on crafting a solid thesis and outline for their argument. Register now using your valid EPL card, by phone or online.
Practice tests are also available through the EPL website at LearningExpress Library and Tutor.com Learning Suite. Just click here to connect.
York drama to Stage “AIDA” as spring musical – Following the success of Disney’s The Lion King, Aida was originally conceived as a Disney movie that would be written to transform into a Broadway musical. After input from the show’s composer, Sir Elton John, Disney decided to take Aida right to the stage. Starting out in Chicago and directed by Robert Falls, one of the most well-known and respected directors in the United States, and starring local actress Heather Headley, Aida quickly became one of the longest running musicals (and still is) to ever hit the Broadway stage. Not only did Aida win 4 Tony awards, including best music and best actress, it went on to win a Grammy award for best album as well, with upbeat hits such as “Strongest Suit” and soul stirring ballads like “Written in the Stars”.
This is a gorgeous production with incredible music that reminds us of who we are and who we want to be. Bring the whole family to this truly emotional, uplifting musical! Performances are Thursday through Saturday, March 20 - 22, at 7:30 PM and Sunday, March 23, at 2 PM.
Tickets are $9 for adults and $7 for students; presale dates are at York High School on:
Monday, March 10, from 11 AM – 1:30 PM and 3:30 – 6:30 PM
Tuesday and Wednesday, March 11 and 12, from 11 AM –1:30 PM and 6:30 – 8:30 PM
ALL-DISTRICT STUDENT LATE ARRIVAL MARCH 12 – Wednesday, March 12 is the sixth district-wide Student Late Arrival (SLA) day. York High School has SLA most Wednesdays. The 2013-14 School Calendar (which provides a one-page overview of this information), may be found on the District 205 calendar page.
The Student Late Arrival instructional schedule is follows:
AM Early Childhood and Kindergarten – 9:15 AM to 11:40 AM
PM Early Childhood and Kindergarten – 12:40 PM to 3:00 PM
Grades 1-5 – 9:15 AM to 3:00 PM
Middle School – 9:25 AM to 3:20 PM
High School – 9:00 AM to 3:11 PM
This time is critical to the pursuit of exceptional student achievement and continued professional excellence. District 205 schedules professional development time for the purpose of school improvement planning in smaller and more frequent intervals throughout the year. Certified staff and administrators use this time to collaboratively review student data, discuss professional growth topics, problem solve and share best practices.
18TH ANNUAL DISTRICT 205 CHESS TOURNAMENT – York High School’s Commons will be the scene of an intense district-wide chess tournament, the 18th annual event, on Wednesday March 19, with check-in beginning at 5:30 PM. Students will compete in the following categories: 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6-8th grade and high school. Last year, over 200 children participated in the tournament. All Elmhurst residents and/or District 205 students in those grade categories are welcome to participate with the completion and submission of a signed permission slip and tournament fee of $3.00. All participants will receive a certificate, the top 4 in each category receive ribbons, and the tournament champion’s school receives a trophy.
Sign-in begins at 5:30 PM and the tournament begins promptly at 6. Parents will not be allowed in the Commons area once the tournament has begun. Raffle prizes will be awarded throughout the evening; pizza will be sold by the slice during the tournament.
The chess tournament is run by volunteer parents, many of whom coach chess clubs at their children’s school. Judging is performed by independent chess experts who are brought in for the event. Contact your child’s school chess club leader for permission slips and rules. Contact this year’s coordinator, Kara Caforio at 630-833-4003 or email@example.com with any other questions. Permission slips are due by March 14.
SUMMER SCHOOL INFORMATION NOW POSTED ONLINE – York High School Summer School dates and academic course offerings have now been set, with open registration beginning on March 6 at 9 AM. Session I will run from June 9 – 26 (with no school on Friday, June 13 and June 20); Session II will run from June 30 – July 17 (with no classes on Friday, July 4 and 11). In case of a weather emergency, June 27 will be added to Session I and July 18 to Session II. Registration information is posted on the Summer School page of the York website. Summer Athletic Camp information is also available by clicking here.
District 205’s Summer Instrumental Music Program offers an exciting opportunity for all current 4th – 7th grade band and orchestra students to continue with instrumental music instruction in June and July. Registration is online and opens on Monday, March 10. Please use the District 205 Webstore link. The deadline for registration is Friday, May 9, 2014. For complete details, read the letter to parents from K-8 Music Coordinator Brian Berg.
Check out the 2014 Summer School page of the District website for attendance dates for Title I & III programs, Extended School Year (ESY), and Worlds of Wonder & Wisdom programs.
PTA FANNIE MAY FUNDRAISER FOR SCHOLARSHIPS – The Elmhurst PTA Council is selling Fannie May candy again this year to raise funds for PTA college scholarships bestowed on deserving York High School seniors. All proceeds from the sale will go to these scholarships. The catalog and order form are may be found on the PTA Council website.
To order, please complete this form and enclose a check made payable to ELMHURST PTA COUNCIL. DO NOT INCLUDE SALES TAX. Submit order by Wednesday, March 17 to your child’s school office. Candy will be delivered directly to your door the week of April 7.
YDAP TO SPONSOR TRY-ATHLON II at fitz’s – Ever notice how the Olympics inspire the inner athlete in all of us? For those who don’t quite make the gold/silver/bronze mark, the York Distinguished Alumni Program (YDAP) is offering couch potatoes the chance to compete in its second annual indoor Try-Athlon – bowling/bag toss/8-ball pool – on Sunday, March 23, beginning at noon at Fitz’s Spare Keys in Elmhurst. Lose the winter blahs, enjoy a little friendly competition and support YDAP in the process. Register your team today! Limit of 24 teams.
The $40 fee for a team of 4 includes appetizers and bowling shoe rental. Cash prizes will be awarded to the top three teams; a split-the-pot drawing offers another chance to win. For more information and/or to register, please visit www.elmhurst205.org/Alumni_Try-Athlon. A $100 sponsorship includes one free team registration. Monetary and in-kind donations welcome.
Last fall, YDAP recognized and honored 8 Dukes of Distinction, alumni who have distinguished themselves through significant and extraordinary accomplishments or through service and an outstanding contribution to society. Nominations for 2014 are due by March 31. Please consider nominating a deserving alum.
For further information, please visit the York Alumni webpage, click here for the nomination form, or contact Melea Smith/Debbie Hollstein in the Office of Communications/Alumni Relations at 630-941-4719.
MARCH IS SEVERE WEATHER PREPAREDNESS MONTH - While the majority of Illinois tornadoes occur between April 1 and June 30, the tornado outbreaks on Nov. 17, 2013, and Feb. 20, 2014, proved that these violent storms may happen any time of the year.
Tornadoes can be deadly and cause serious injuries and property damage, but there are actions people can do to protect themselves and their families. Throughout March, District 205 is joining with the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) and other emergency management agencies across the state to promote severe weather preparedness.
IEMA and the National Weather Service have prepared a Severe Weather Preparedness Guide that provides information on what you should do before, during and after a tornado, severe thunderstorm or flooding. The guidebook is available at www.Ready.Illinois.gov.
One of the most important preparedness actions is to have a way to receive emergency warnings 24 hours a day, especially while you sleep. A NOAA Weather Alert Radio with battery backup, a tone-alert feature and Specific Area Message Encoding (SAME) automatically alerts when a watch or warning is issued for your county. There are also several smartphone apps available which can alert you to imminent dangers. These warnings can provide precious time for you to seek shelter from an approaching tornado or severe storm.
Please take time in March to learn more about how your family can stay safe during severe weather.
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK – The District 205 Virtual Backpack page is a great place to find student and family-oriented activities offered by non-profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly at www.elmhurst205.org/flyers. The following items were recently posted:
- Epiphany Lutheran Church Children's Clothing Resale –Toy and Equipment Resale – March 15 – See Website for Times and More Information
- Elmhurst Lions Club 28th Annual All You Can Eat Pizza Party – Roberto's Pizza/Cookies/Soda - March 8 – 5 to 7 PM – Sandburg Middle School – Tickets $7 or Family Price (5 or more) $35 – Under 6 Years – Free – More Information
- York Drama Presents AIDA – March 20 – 22 at 7:30 PM – March 23 at 2 PM – See Websites for Presale Dates
- Meet the Conservation Foundation – Saving Land and Rivers in Northeast Illinois – March 20 – 8:30 to 9:30 AM – Churchville Schoolhouse Call 630-428-4500 x142 to RSVP
Contests for Children
- Friends of the Elmhurst Public Library 10th Annual Poetry Contest – Grades 4 to 12
Deadline – March 18 – Enter Online – In Person or At Kids' Library – Download form
- York Summer School
- Title I and III (Fischer)
- Instrumental Music
- Worlds of Wisdom and Wonder
- Illinois' Reckoning – Solving the Problems – Fulfilling the Promise – March 7 – 7 AM – $25 pp – Includes Full Breakfast
- Dave Cullen – Lessons of Columbine – March 9 – 7 PM – Frick Center
- Summer Brochure
- Register In Person/Phone/Online for the Following Classes:
- Teen Tech Week – CrAfternoon – Grades 6 to 12 – March 8 – Drop in Between 1 to 5 PM – Large Meeting Room
- College Prep – ACT/SAT Writing Seminar – March 11 – 7 to 8:30 PM
- Rapunzels – A Girls Only Book Club – Read and Discuss A Corner of White – Then Play Games or Make Crafts – March 12 – 4 to 5 PM – Girls Ages 11 to 14
- Sewing Club – Learn the Basics of Sewing – Fridays – April 4 to 25 – 4 to 5 PM – Grades 5 to 8
- Spring Sports – Flag Football and Volleyball – Sign Up Starts March 1 – Basketball Clinic/Youth Speed Conditioning and TRX – Pre-school Ballers
- Summer Camps and Programs – Join the Fun – Register Today
- Free Family Open Swims –March 9 & 23 From 1 to 4 PM – York High School
- PTA Council Scholarship Fundraisers:
- Fannie May Candy Sale – Orders Delivered Directly to Your Home – Orders Due by March 17 – Will be Delivered Week of April 7 – See Website for Catalog and Order Form
- Tasting at Tannins – March 11 – 7 to 10 PM – $30 Per Person
- McTeacher's Night – March 4 – 5 to 8 PM – Raising Funds for Autism – McDonald's – 920 N. York St. See flyer for List of Teachers
- York Distinguished Alumni Program TRY-Athlon Indoor Team Competition – Bowling/Bag Toss/8-Ball Pool – Team of 4 – $40 – March 23 – Fitz's – Noon Check In – Register Here
- DuPage Children’s Museum – March Calendar
- Elmhurst Art Museum – Coming Events
- Elmhurst Artists Guild – Bret Steinhaus Glimpses – Expressions in Color – March 4 to April 11 - Artist's Reception – March 7 –7 to 9 PM
- Elmhurst Historical Museum – Calendar – December to April
- Lizzadro Museum – February Classes
Resources and Registration
- 18th Annual District 205 Chess Tournament – March 19 – York High School Commons at 6 PM
– Grades 2,3,4,5,6-8 and High School – See Website for Registration Information
- Spend Spring Break With 4-H – Explore Art and Science – March 31 – April 4
- Bensenville Recreation – Program Booklet
- Gateway Special Education Recreation Association – Winter/Spring Catalog
- Elmhurst Eagles Youth Football and Cheer – Registration – Ages 7 to 14 – Register at: elmhursteagles.org
- York Hockey Spring Season Registration – Open to (Incoming) York Freshmen Through Juniors
March 24 – May 31 – More Information
- Elmhurst College Volleyball Middle School Clinics – $40 March 9 – April 6 –April 13 Deadline – 3 Days Before Clinic See Website for More Information
- Team Elmhurst Soccer Club – Spring Skills Academy for Boys and Girls – PreK to Kindergarten and Grades 1 to 4 – Fridays – April 11 – May 30
- Illinois Girls Lacrosse Association (IGLA) Spring League Registration – Grades 3 to 8 – Spring Season – April 13 to June 8 – Beginner and Experience Players Welcome – Register Here
- Elmhurst College Half Day Summer Camp – Ages 4 to 9 – Eight Weekly Camps – June 9 to August 8 – Hours 9 AM to Noon
- NIU Summer Academic Camps – Residential Camps – Grades 9 to 12 – Day Camps – Grades 6 to 8
- YMCA Camp Duncan Resident Camp – Ages 7 to 16 – 3 Day – 1 Week or 2 Week Sessions
- Robert Crown – Body Trek Summer Science Camp – June 16 to 26 – 12:30 to 4 PM – Grades 6 to 8 Explore an Action-Packed Trip Through the Human Body
- Open Books – Become a Published Fantasy Author or Graphic Novelist – July 8 to 31 – Grades 7 (Fall of 2014) and Up – More Information
Opportunities to Volunteer
- Access Sports Needs Youth Volunteers – Soccer Program – Saturdays – April 26 to June 14 - One Hour Time Slot – 9 to 11:15 AM – Baseball Program – Saturdays – Late April to Late June - One Hour Time Slot – 3 to 5 PM