Sign up to receive TALK205 Messages
Interested community members are invited to sign up to receive Talk205 messages from the Elmhurst School District 205 Office of Communications and Public Relations. Talk205 is District 205's communication system, powered by Blackboard Connect. Custodial parents/guardians of District 205 students, as well as District 205 staff, are automatically included in messaging (both email and phone calls) sent through this system. Because Talk205 is connected to our Student Information System, parents need do nothing when students change grade or school - it will automatically be updated.
IF YOU ARE A CUSTODIAL PARENT/GUARDIAN OF A DISTRICT 205 STUDENT, OR A DISTRICT 205 STAFF MEMBER, DO NOT SIGN UP HERE FOR TALK205. You are automatically included if you have already provided your school with an e-mail address.
Click the logo below to subscribe.
Talk205 - October 14
In this issue –
- League of Women Voters: Preparing for the Election
- Commission on Youth to Present Heroin Forum on
- York High School Celebrates Veterans’ Day 2014 – And You’re Invited!
- Reminder: School Physical and Eye Exams Due October 15
- So You Think You Want a Career in Healthcare,
- Ladies Who Lunch, PTA Scholarship Fundraiser.
- Support the Foundation and Order Your Holiday Tree Now
- York Distinguished Alumni Nominations Now Open for 2015
- Information Regarding the Spring 2015 Consolidated Election
- Postings on the Virtual Backpack Page
LWV PREPARING FOR THE – Join the League of Women Voters of Elmhurst on ELECTION as they discuss the five propositions on the ballot and learn about some voters’ guides for looking up candidate information. The propositions include two Illinois Constitutional amendments and three advisory statewide referenda. The League neither supports nor opposes candidates for elected office, but does take action on issues after member study and consensus. For further information, visitwww.lwvelmhurst.org. The discussion will take place at the Elmhurst Public Library.
COMMISSION ON YOUTH TO PRESENT HEROIN FORUM – Heroin addiction and related deaths are increasing to epidemic levels, with usage trajectories spanning all ages, races and socio-economic backgrounds. In response to this growing scourge, the City of Elmhurst’s Commission on Youth will present a community education forum, “The New Face of Heroin, It’s Not What You Think,” on , from at the Superior Air-Ground Ambulance Service, 395 Lake Street, Elmhurst.
Featured speakers will be Dr. Richard Jorgensen, along with Matt Quinn, MA, LCPC, CADC, of the new Elmhurst Hospital Adolescent Mental Health Outpatient Program and Corey Worden, MA, LCPC, CADC, of Linden Oaks at Edward.
Learn what’s driving the heroin epidemic and what you can do about it. Discussion will focus on:
- The production, distribution and demographics of heroin use and abuse in DuPage County
- The physiology, short- and long-term effects of heroin addiction
- Narcan treatment protocols and how they have saved lives
- What lies beneath this growing problem - a substance abuse epidemic
- Practical things that YOU can do - tips, ideas, resources for help
This program is free and open to the public. Walk-ins are welcome, but reservations are appreciated, so that adequate seating is available for all. To make a reservation, please call (630) 530-3010 or visithttp://tinyurl.com/HeroinForum111014 by .
YORK HIGH SCHOOL CELEBRATES VETERANS’ DAY 2014 – York High School will be holding its third annual all-school Veterans’ Day assembly on . Any interested U.S. veterans, as well as current servicemen and women, are invited to come and be honored in York’s Campbell Gym. The assembly begins at and will include speeches from selected veterans, as well as York students and administrators. Veterans are encouraged to arrive at for coffee, pastries and bagels in the high school’s Yorker Room, 355 W. St. Charles Road, Elmhurst (please enter through main door).
On , members of the York Student Council will serve a free breakfast to American veterans and their families from in the high school cafeteria. Please contact York Student Council Advisor Matt Moran if you are interested in attending the assembly, the breakfast or both. Let him know how many people will be attending each event by sending an email to MMoran@elmhurst205.org or calling 630-617-2400, ext. 7285 and leaving a message.
REMINDER: SCHOOL PHYSICAL & EYE EXAMS DUE OCTOBER 15 – This is a reminder that physical exams are required for students in kindergarten, sixth and ninth grades. Parents need to remember to complete the "parent" portion of the physical exam form. Please be aware that all kindergarten students are also required to have an eye exam. By state law, physical and eye exams must be completed and on file with your child(ren)’s school as of October 15. District 205 is required to exclude students from school as of this date if these documents have not been received. Students in kindergarten, second grade and sixth grade are required to have a dental exam; that form must be on file by of the current school year. All medical forms can be found on the District website, www.elmhurst205.org.
EXPLORING HEALTHCARE CAREERS – Students: want to know what it’s like to be a doctor, nurse of physical therapist? Middle school, high school and college students are invited to “So you think you want a career in healthcare” on at the Arboretum Conference Center of Elmhurst Memorial Hospital. For more details, see the related flyer posted on the virtual backpack page.
LADIES WHO LUNCH, PTA SCHOLARSHIP FUNDRAISER – Enjoy a lunch out and support a good cause at the same time. Grab some friends and make plans to have lunch at Café Amano on . The $25 ticket price includes a $10 donation to the Elmhurst District 205 PTA Council Scholarships that are awarded to York seniors each spring. Tickets are limited, so get yours today. They may be purchased through your school’s scholarship representative or through the PTA Council Scholarship Co-Chairs:
SUPPORT THE FOUNDATION AND ORDER YOUR HOLIDAY TREE NOW – This pre-order holiday tree sale by the District 205 Foundation is a fundraising tradition. Proceeds support the Foundation with funds that benefit all 13 public schools. This sale also supports the long-standing Elmhurst tradition of beautifully lit streets that line our neighborhoods during the holiday season. Neighborhood group orders of really fresh Nova Scotia Balsams are delivered free of charge just prior to Thanksgiving.
The Foundation website contains all the tools you will need to be a tree captain for your block. It is an easy and rewarding way to support our schools! Beautiful Fraser and Douglas Firs for indoor display are also available and can be picked up on or delivered for a fee. Click here for more information or to place an order. Orders are due .
YORK DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI PROGRAM NOMINATIONS NOW OPEN – While the York Distinguished Alumni Program (YDAP) is gearing up for a celebration/induction of the 2014 Dukes of Distinction, the window is now open for 2015 nominations. Please click here for details.
The YDAP program is designed to recognize York High School alumni who have distinguished themselves through significant and/or extraordinary accomplishments, service and/or an outstanding contribution to society. Nominations will be accepted through .
On the following Dukes of Distinction will be honored:
- Dr. Robert Chen, Class of 1973
- John Coughlan, Class of 1960
- Beth Finke, Class of 1976
- Gary Rydstrom, Class of 1977
- Kathleen Sherman, Class of 1970
- Dr. Martin Stoker, Class of 1939
- Sgt. Joseph Vanek, Class of 2003
Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for a reception in the York Commons at , followed by a program at . This event is free and open to the public; no tickets are required. To read more about this year’s honorees, visit www.elmhurst205.org/DukesofDistinction.
INFORMATION REGARDING SPRING 2015 CONSOLIDATED ELECTION – Procedures for the coming , Consolidated Election (including for Board of Education seats) have changed significantly. For example, instead of picking up and filing nomination petition forms at their local school district office, candidates must do so with the County Clerk or the County Board of Election Commissioners. The Illinois Association of School Boards (IASB) has created a Frequently Asked Questions document that explains the new law: 2015 School Election Procedures.
The first day that candidates could lawfully circulate nominating petitions for signatures was September 23, 2014. The period for filing nominating papers runs from to . Elmhurst District 204 will have four seats up for election in 2015.
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK – The District 205 virtual backpack page is a great place to find student and family-oriented activities offered by non-profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly athttp://www.elmhurst205.org/flyers. The following items were recently posted:
- District 205 Foundation Holiday Tree Sale – Trees Picked up or Delivered on Website to Download Form – Order Neighborhood Trees – Order Online or Drop Off by – See
- Glenbard Parent Series Presents – Amanda Ripley – The Smartest Kids and How They Got That Way – October 14 – 7 PM – Dr. Adam Cox – Keys to Motivation and Capability: Organized Approach to School Success – – Building the 8 Pillars of Capable Young Minds – October 14 – 8 AM to
- So You Think You Want a Career in Healthcare? – For Middle, High School and College Students –
Elmhurst Symphony Orchestra – Concerto Night Gala – – Three Stanger Artists Will Perform – See Website for Ticket Information to – Elmhurst Hospital
- Northern Illinois University – STEM-Fest – to –Explore Hundreds of Hands-On Exhibits – Meet STEM Professionals and Much More – Free and Open to the Public – See Website for More Info and Parking Pass
- York High School Drama Presents – Midsummer's Jersey –Shakespeare Comes to the Jersey Shore – – 25 at – – See Website for Ticket Prices
- Veterans Day Breakfast – Free for Veterans and Their Families – York High School – firstname.lastname@example.org or Call 630-617-2300 x 7285 to – RSVP Number Attending to
- Veterans Day Assembly – November 11 – Veterans Invited to Attend and Be Honored at School Assembly – Arrive at email@example.com or Call 630-617-2300 x 7285 for Coffee and Light Breakfast – Program – RSVP Number Attending to
- Spirito Gala Autumn Voices – to – Drury Lane – Dinner – Sweets – Unique Auctions – Games
- Elmhurst Symphony Orchestra – Music of the Soul – Classical Perfection –
Bensenville Park District
- Fall Program Guide
- Bullied – Youth, Gender and Homophobia – C.J. Pascoe – Assistant Professor of Sociology at University of Oregon – – Frick Center – Tickets $10 at Door – Free for EC Students/Alumni/Staff
Elmhurst Park District
- Upcoming Programs and Events - Special New Talk205 Event Page
Elmhurst Public Library
- College Prep Program – How to Prepare for the Rising Cost of College –
- ACT/SAT Writing Seminar – – Register Now Online/In-Person/Phone – Space is Limited
- Practice ACT – to
- Creepy Tales Scary Story Writing Contest for Grades K to 8
- Halloween at the Y – Free on to – Haunted House – Carnival Games – Spooky Snack and Much More
- Lions Club Pumpkin Patch at The Abbey – Sale Begins (While Supplies Last) – Fall Family Fest – to – $20 – Moon Jump – Pumpkin – Decorate Your Pumpkin
- Gracious Gifts – Kids Bop – Moms Shop For a Cause – Free Admission – Moms Can Shop and Kids Enjoy Children's Singer – to – Wilder Mansion – Proceeds Benefit Families Battling Breast Cancer
- Ladies Who Lunch – Benefiting D205 PTA Council Scholarships – – Cafe Amano – – $25 ($10 towards Scholarships) – Tickets are Limited – See Website to Purchase Tickets
- Access Sports – Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser – – See Website to Purchase Tickets
- Elmhurst Artists' Guild – Autumn Magic – – Reception – October 10 – 7 to 9 PM
- Elmhurst Art Museum – Programs and Classes for Kids and Adults
- DuPage Children’s Museum – October Calendar
- Lizzadro Museum – Programs
Parent Support Groups
- SERG – The Benefits of Chiropractic Care and PT for Individuals With Disabilities – – D205 Center
Resources and Registration
- The Center for Gifted –Parent Seminar – Enabling Your Child to Think Critically and Creatively –
- Elmhurst Children's Theatre Fall Classes – Introduction to Musical Theatre – Grade 1 to 3 – Triple Threat – Grades 4 to 6 – Tuesdays – – See Website for Registration Form
- Brookfield Zoo – Fall/Winter – Boo at the Zoo – October 18/19 and 25/26 – – See Website for Complete Listings and BOGO Admission
- Edge Ice Arena – Learn to Skate Program – Beginning – See Website for Dates and Times
- Elmhurst Jr. Dukes Wrestling Club – Grades K to 8 – $160 Per Wrestler – First Day of Practice – December 1 – See Website for More Information
- ICCP – Fall Baseball Camp Series – – Hitting – – Fielding for Boys Grade 4 to 8 – See Website for More Information
- ICCP – 3 On 3 Basketball Tournament – – Two Divisions – Boys Grade 5 to 6 and 7 to 8 – See Website for More Information
- Elmhurst Swim Team – Improve Your Stroke – See Website to Register for Fall and Winter