Sign up to receive TALK205 Messages
Interested community members are invited to sign up to receive Talk205 messages from the Elmhurst School District 205 Office of Communications and Public Relations. Talk205 is District 205's communication system, powered by Blackboard Connect. Custodial parents/guardians of District 205 students, as well as District 205 staff, are automatically included in messaging (both email and phone calls) sent through this system. Because Talk205 is connected to our Student Information System, parents need do nothing when students change grade or school - it will automatically be updated.
IF YOU ARE A CUSTODIAL PARENT/GUARDIAN OF A DISTRICT 205 STUDENT, OR A DISTRICT 205 STAFF MEMBER, DO NOT SIGN UP HERE FOR TALK205. You are automatically included if you have already provided your school with an e-mail address.
Click the logo below to subscribe.
Talk205 Message for October 17, 2016
In this issue –
- Focus 205/Thoughexchange Online Survey Closes Today, October 17
- Screenwise: Raising Digital Natives With Devorah Heitner - Tomorrow Night
- Focus Group Meetings Held at All Three Middle Schools, October 24
- Shop and Earn for D205 Foundation at Local Whole Foods, October 25
- Executive Function in the Gifted Population, October 27
- Foundation Holiday Tree Fundraiser Benefits Education
- PTA Sponsors Cooking Demonstrations, November 7 & 9 – Café Amano
- 2016-17 Reflections Theme: What Is Your Story? Entries Due Early November
- York High School Celebrates Veterans’ Day – And You’re Invited!
- Churchville Middle School Holds 8th Annual Veterans Day Celebration
- Postings on the Virtual Backpack page
FOCUS 205 SURVEY ‘SHARE’ STEP CLOSES TODAY, OCTOBER 17 – Today is the last chance to contribute your thoughts to the Focus 205/Thoughtexchange survey online survey. It’s an easy three-question survey that only takes about 10 minutes to complete. To date, 504 people have shared 2,204 thoughts. If you haven’t received an email invitation, click here to self-register and be added to the Thoughtexchange process. To access frequently asked questions about the process, click here. Please join the conversation!
SCREENWISE: RAISING DIGITAL NATIVES – On Tuesday evening, October 18, the Elmhurst Commission on Youth will host author Dr, Devorah Heitner in a parenting presentation based on her newly-released book Screenwise: Helping Kids Thrive (and Survive) in the Digital Age, beginning at 7 PM in the Sandburg Middle School auditorium, 345 E. St. Charles Road, Elmhurst. She will be available to sign books following the presentation.
FOCUS GROUPS AT ALL MIDDLE SCHOOLS OCTOBER 24 - On Monday, October 24, Focus 205 focus group meetings will be held at each of our three middle schools - Bryan, Churchville and Sandburg - from 7 to 8:30 PM. Parents of elementary and high school students are encouraged to attend their child's "feeder" middle school; parents of middle school students are invited to attend their child’s current school. Community members are also invited to participate. If you're not sure what Focus 205 is all about, please visitwww.focus205.org for complete details of what has transpired since last fall.
These meetings will involve a short formal presentation on what the future ready classroom looks like, as well as an overview of the educational alignment study conducted by architects Wight & Company last spring. This will be followed by asking for reaction from attendees to some related questions. There will be a moderator and a note taker to record comments. This feedback will help shape the Monday, December 5, Focus 205 Community Engagement Session #6 at York High School. Please join the conversation!
SHOP AND EARN FOR D205 FOUNDATION AT LOCAL WHOLE FOODS – Whole Foods (Elmhurst) will donate 5% of net proceeds on October 25th to the Elmhurst District 205 Foundation to support the educational programs and enhancements they provide for the Elmhurst Public Schools. On that Tuesday, please consider shopping at Whole Foods, stopping in for lunch or picking up dinner. By doing so, you will be supporting the Foundation and our public school students and staff.
EXECUTIVE FUNCTION IN THE GIFTED POPULATION - The REACH PTA presents Andy Mahoney, Founder and Director of the Center for Identity Potential, speaking on Executive Function in the Gifted and the Role it Plays in Developing Potential. The event, scheduled for Thursday October 27th at 7 PM at the Sandburg Middle School Auditorium, is free and open to the public.
Andy Mahoney is a recognized expert and pioneer in the field of counseling the gifted and talented. His expertise spans 30 years as a counselor, family therapist, and trainer of mental health professionals. His workshop will provide parents with an overview and understanding of executive function as it relates to giftedness, as well as the role executive function plays in developing potential.
The executive functions are a set of processes that all have to do with managing oneself and one's resources in order to achieve a goal such as self-monitoring, task initiation, organization, planning and prioritizing. Mr. Mahoney will discuss practical means to address executive functioning issues for gifted children in a variety of social, emotional and academic settings.
FOUNDATION HOLIDAY TREE FUNDRAISER BENEFITS EDUCATION – Honor the Elmhurst Community’s holiday tradition and order a festive Nova Scotia Balsam tree for your front yard from the Elmhurst District 205 Foundation’s holiday tree sale. Proceeds from the tree sale will support educational grants, enhancements and programs that benefit the students of Elmhurst Public Schools. An outdoor tree is $19 and neighborhood group orders of 4 or more will be delivered free of charge on Nov 26th. Individual orders of outdoor yard trees, as well as an assortment of beautiful indoor trees, may also be purchased for receipt on December 3rd.
Visit www.elmhurst205.org/HolidayTrees for more information and to learn about being a neighborhood tree captain. Orders due Friday, October 28th.
PTA COUNCIL SPONSORS COOKING DEMONSTRATION WITH CHEF MARCO – Cook up something special for your holiday guests. The PTA Council Scholarship Committee will be hosting a cooking demo on Monday, November 7th and Wednesday, November 9th at Cafe Amano, 116 Schiller Street, Elmhurst. The same five-course demonstration will be held both evenings, so guests may choose either date. There are a limited number of seats each night. Chef Marco has planned an amazing night of food and paired beverage for participants. See the flyer posted on the Virtual Backpack page for more details. Please contact Kari Levine with questions or reservations at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline: Tuesday, November 1. The $80 ticket includes meal, beverage, tax and gratuity, of which $30 supports the PTA Council Scholarship Fund.
2016-17 REFLECTIONS THEME: ‘WHAT IS YOUR STORY?’ - The world needs to know your inner artist! The National PTA Reflections program encourages children of all ages and abilities to explore and be involved in the arts. The 2016-2017 Reflections theme is “What Is Your Story?” Students are invited to create works of art in any of the six categories reflecting on this year’s theme. Choreograph a dance, produce a film, write a poem or story, compose a song, take a picture or create a piece of visual art and tell us your interpretation of the theme.
Students are recognized each year for their artistic ingenuity to bring the theme to life in a way that is personal and meaningful. They can create as many projects, in as many categories as they like. It doesn’t matter whether an entry created for this program has been created as a classroom assignment or independently at home. Visit your school webpages for more specifics on category guidelines and due dates (in general, early November). Please contact Michelle Wehrle with any questions at email@example.com.
YORK HIGH SCHOOL CELEBRATES VETERANS DAY 2016 – York High School will be holding its sixth annual all-school Veterans Day assembly on Friday, November 11. Any interested U.S. veterans, as well as current servicemen and women, are invited to come and be honored in York’s Campbell Gym. The assembly begins at 8 AM and will include speeches from selected veterans, as well as York students and administrators. Veterans are encouraged to arrive at 7:15 AM for coffee, pastries and bagels in the high school’s Yorker Room, 355 W. St. Charles Road, Elmhurst (please enter through main door).
On Saturday, November 12, members of the York Student Council will serve a free breakfast to American veterans and their families from 9 to 11 AM in the high school cafeteria. Please contact York Student Council Advisor Matt Moran if you are interested in attending the assembly, the breakfast or both. Let him know how many people will be attending each event by sending an email to MMoran@elmhurst205.org or calling 630-617-2400, ext. 7285 and leaving a message.
CHURCHVILLE MS HOLDS 8TH ANNUAL VETERANS DAY CELEBRATION – Churchville Middle School will be holding its eighth annual all-school Veterans Day assembly on Friday, November 11. Any interested U.S. veterans, as well as current servicemen and women, are invited to come and be honored in Churchville's Blue Gym. This year, we will be joining the PTA Reflection theme, "What is Your Story?" and asking that any attending veterans submit a picture to use in telling a story of their service to the audience.
The assembly begins at 2 PM and will include stories from veterans; performances from the Churchville Band, Orchestra, and Choir; a history of Veterans Day and the playing of Taps. Veterans are encouraged to arrive at between 1:30 and 1:45 PM; the PTA will sponsor refreshments following the assembly in the Atrium at 155 Victory Parkway, Elmhurst (please enter through main door). Please complete and send this form to Churchville teacher Peter Richey if you are interested in attending the assembly. Let him know how many people will be attending by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 630-832-8682, ext. 3949and leaving a message.
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK – The District 205 Virtual Backpack page is a great place to find student and family-oriented activities offered by non-profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly atwww.elmhurst205.org/flyers. The following items were recently posted:
- District 205 Social Worker Invite Parents To Intervention Strategies to Engage Students With Parents Struggling With School Anxiety & School Refusal – On October 18 at the Elmhurst Public Library From 12:30 To 2:30 PM Presenter: Jacqueline Rhew With Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health Hospital – No Reservations Needed But Participation Is Limited To 70 Persons
- York Distinguished Alumni Program Meet the 2016 Dukes of Distinction – On November 3–6:30 PM Reception – 7 PM Program – Public Invited To This Free Event
- York High School Celebrates Veterans Day & Veterans Day Assembly – On November 11 From8 AM To 9 AM Veterans Should Arrive At 7:15 AM For Coffee, Donuts, Pastries & Bagels AND Breakfast On November 12 From 9 AM To 11 AM – Free For Veterans & Their Families – Please RSVP For Either/Both Event To email@example.com Or 630-617-2400 x7285
- SCARCE Green Fair – On October 23 From 10 AM To 4 PM At DuPage County Fairgrounds
Family Fun & Learn Best Practices – Meet Nature Cat
- Elmhurst Symphony Orchestra Brass Fanfare II – On November 13 At 3 PM – Behind The Music Stand (Free Lecture) At 1:45 PM – Discounted Tickets To Current, Retired and Former Military Personnel
- LaGrange Area Department Of Special Education Resource Fair – On November 17 From 6:00 PM To 8:30 PM At The Countryside Holiday Inn
FALL/WINTER SEASONAL EVENTS
- District 205 Foundation Holiday Tree & Ornament Sale Has Three Options For Pre-Ordered Trees Please Return Order Form By October 28 – For More Information Call 630-617-2376
- Elmhurst Lions Club Pumpkin Patch At The Abbey – From October 10 To October 31 (While Supplies Last) AND Elmhurst Leo Club Presents Fall Family Fest October 23 From 11 AM To 3 PM $20 – Unlimited Moon Jump, Mid-Size Pumpkin & Pumpkin Painting
- Special Kids Day Free Halloween Dance Party – October 23 From 1 PM To 3 PM At The Diplomat West For Children & Adults Over 12 With Special Needs Are Invited Please Register at www.skd.org
- Elmhurst City Centre Bootiful Saturday On October 29 – Free Showing of Hotel Transylvania 2At York Theatre – Doors Open At 9 AM – Plus Many More Freakishly Fun Activities
- DuPage Forest Preserves After Dark Programs For Families – Night Hike By Lantern Light On October 17, November 14 & December 19 St. James Full Moon Wagon Ride Plus Lamplight Stories On October 29
- Drop-Off Pumpkin Composting – On November 5 From 9 AM To Noon – Location: Elmhurst Public Works Facility
- Visitation's Annual St. Nick's Boutique – On November 5 From 9 AM To 3 PM Location: Visitation Valentino Center Shop & Eat – Plus Kid's Raffle Tree
- Access Sports Sixth Annual Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser – On November 4 From 5:00 To 8:00 PM (Open Seating) – Advance Tickets $10 Adults (13 & Up) – $5 Children (3 To 12) Or At The Door $12 (Adults)13 & Up – $6 Children (3 To 12)
- PTA Council Scholarship Fundraiser – Five-Course Cooking Demo At Cafe Amano On
November 7 & 9 – 7:30 PM To 9:30 PM – Price Includes Meal, Beverage, Tax & Gratuity – $30 of the $80 ticket price supports PTA Council Scholarship Fund – Reserve by November 1
- Salvation Army Oakbrook Terrace Corps Presents Singing In The Rain – The 1952 Movie at York Classic Cinemas On November 13 At 4:00 PM – Tickets $7 (Proceeds Support Salvation Army)
GLENBARD PARENT SERIES
- 2016-2017 Calendar – All Events Free & Open To The Public
- Elmhurst Children's Theatre Exploring Different Kinds of Characters – For Grades 3 To 5 Starting October 26, November 2,9,16,30 & December 7 – 6:30 To 8:00 PM Class Size Limited – Register Early
- Do You Love Science? Grades 6 To 12 4-H Science Ambassadors Is For You
MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS CONTESTS
- VFW Patriot's Pen Patriot Essay Writing Contest – Theme: The America I Believe In –Deadline:November 1
LIBRARY AND MUSEUMS
Elmhurst Public Library
- Meet Jonathan Auxier – Author Of The Night Gardener – On November 21 From 4 To 4:45 PMVirtual Authors Meet & Greet – Skype With Caudill Nominees And If You Submit A Question You're Entered In A Raffle – Register Starting September 3 – (All District 205 Students Are Eligible To Participate Even If They Are Not A Cardholder Or Elmhurst Resident)
Elmhurst Art Museum
- Elmhurst Artists Guild Fall Members Show – October 2 To November 11
DuPage Children’s Museum
- Cub Scouts Science Fun Late-Night – On November 11 From 7 PM To 11 PM Calling All Tiger, Wolves, Bears & Webelos Fee: $25/Scout $20/Adult
- RAISE – Improve Reading, Spelling & Vocabulary Using Morphology To Teach StudentsIncluding Students With Dyslexia & Other Learning Challenges On October 18 At 7 PM Location: Park Jr. High In LaGrange
- Timothy Christian Schools Open House – Pre-12th Grade On October 30 At 2 PM
- Wellness House In Hinsdale Offers Support For Families Dealing With Cancer – Free & Open To The Public
PARK DISTRICT & RECREATION PROGRAMS
Bensenville Park District
- Fall Program Guide
Bensenville Recreation and Community Programs
Elmhurst Park District
- Halloween At The YMCA – On October 21 From 6:30 PM To 9:00 PM – Haunted House, Carnival Games, Spooky Snacks, Magician & Much More – Pre-Registration $5/Family or $10/Family At The Door
PARENT SUPPORT GROUPS
- Gateway – Special Education Recreational Association
- REACH PTA
- SERG PTA – Special Education Resources Group
- Elmhurst Youth Baseball 2017 Registration – November 12 From 10 AM To 2 PM At Cityview Community Church – Online Registration Starting October 1 – www.eybaseball.org
- Fall 2016 Water Polo Club – Age 14 And Under Boys/Girls – $100, Age 18 And Under (High School) Boys – $125, Family Fee (More Than One Athlete Any Age) – $165