Sign up to receive TALK205 Messages
Interested community members are invited to sign up to receive Talk205 messages from the Elmhurst School District 205 Office of Communications and Public Relations. Talk205 is District 205's communication system, powered by Blackboard Connect. Custodial parents/guardians of District 205 students, as well as District 205 staff, are automatically included in messaging (both email and phone calls) sent through this system. Because Talk205 is connected to our Student Information System, parents need do nothing when students change grade or school - it will automatically be updated.
IF YOU ARE A CUSTODIAL PARENT/GUARDIAN OF A DISTRICT 205 STUDENT, OR A DISTRICT 205 STAFF MEMBER, DO NOT SIGN UP HERE FOR TALK205. You are automatically included if you have already provided your school with an e-mail address.
Click the logo below to subscribe.
Talk205 Message for February 8, 2016
In this issue –
- Kindergarten and “New to First Grade” Enrollment Dates
- 2016 York Summer School Offerings Now Posted Online
- Please Take the 2016 Illinois 5Essentials Parent Survey
- SERG Explores the Use of Chromebooks, February 18
- Time For PTA Council’s Fannie May Candy Sale for Scholarships
- York Hosts Fine Arts Week, February 22-26
- Boosters’ Annual Green Scene Fundraiser is February 27
- Youth Job/Volunteer Fair March 23 – Vendors May Register Now to Participate
- Elmhurst Commission on Youth Seeks Exemplary Volunteer Nominees
- York Distinguished Alumni Nomination Deadline Extended to April 30
- Review the Work of Focus 205 Phase I at www.focus205.org
- Postings on the Virtual Backpack Page
KINDERGARTEN AND “NEW TO FIRST GRADE” ENROLLMENT DATES – Enrollment for 2016-17 incoming kindergarteners and first grade students new to Elmhurst Community Unit School District 205 will take place on Tuesday, February 9, 2016 from 9:00 to 11:00 AM and on Wednesday, February 10, from12:30 to 3:00 PM at the school of attendance serving their home address. On Thursday, February 11, from4:00 to 7:00 PM, enrollment will only be offered at Conrad Fischer School (for Fischer students) and at the District 205 Center, 162 S. York (serving all District 205 elementary schools).
Students must be five years old on or before September 1, 2016, to be enrolled in kindergarten. (The student’s original birth certificate must be submitted as proof.) During the February enrollment, parents/guardians must present three proofs of residency. Additionally, a photo I.D. of the person enrolling the student must be produced for identification purposes.
For a complete list of enrollment procedures, acceptable proofs of residency and additional forms, please see the New Student Enrollment page linked from the District 205 homepage. Parents may contact the District 205 Center at 630-617-4783 to obtain the name and location of the elementary school that serves their home address.
2016 YORK SUMMER SCHOOL OFFERINGS NOW POSTED ONLINE – York High School Summer School dates and academic course offerings have now been set; open registration begins on February 18 at 9 AM and ends on March 11. Session I will run Monday through Thursday from June 6 – 23 (with June 24 being an emergency day); Session II will run Monday through Thursday from June 27 – July 14 (with July 4 being a holiday and July 15 an emergency day). Registration information is posted on the Summer School page of the York website.
Summer Athletic Camp information is also available by clicking here.
PLEASE TAKE THE 2016 ILLINOIS 5ESSENTIALS PARENT SURVEY – The annual Illinois 5Essentials Survey is administered online by the University of Chicago, on behalf of the Illinois State Board of Education. The State will only provide survey results for individual schools if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. If you have children attending more than one school, District 205 asks that you complete the survey for each school. Each survey takes about ten minutes. All survey responses will be kept confidential.
To take this short survey:
- Visit Parent Survey Illinois 5Essentials at
- Begin typing and then select Dupage County as the location.
- Begin typing the school's name into the school field and then select your child’s school from the drop-down box.
Thank you in advance for your participation in supporting our schools' continuous improvement process. The survey will remain open until March 11, 2016.
SERG EXPLORES THE USE OF CHROMEBOOKS – District 205 has implemented the use of Chromebooks for all of its middle and high school students. Assistive Technology Specialist Sharon Meldgin will share ideas on how to better access curriculum and enhance learning experiences at the next Special Education Resource Group meeting on Thursday, February 18, from 7 to 9 PM at the Elmhurst District 205 Center, 162 S. York. Please join us to learn how to Enhance Students’ Access to the Curriculum Using Google Chrome Apps, Extensions, Add-Ons and Websites.
TIME FOR PTA COUNCIL’S FANNIE MAY CANDY SALES – The Elmhurst PTA Council is selling Fannie May Candy to raise funds for PTA scholarships given to graduating York seniors. ALL proceeds from the sale will go to these scholarships. Click here to view the brochure, which offers a variety of items for you to purchase.
To order, please complete the order form. Please print legibly your “ship to” and “order information” at the top. Return your order form along with a check made payable to Elmhurst PTA Council. DO NOT INCLUDE SALES TAX. Submit orders by Friday, February 19, 2016 to your school office or mail to Jodi Redick, 851 Princeton Court, Elmhurst. Your candy will be delivered to your door the week of March 14, 2016. Questions please contact Jodi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YORK HOSTS FINE ARTS WEEK, FEBRUARY 22-26 – York Community High School will be celebrating its annual Fine Arts Week (FAW) during the week of February 22-26. For over 30 years, Fine Arts Week has recognized the talents of York’s student musicians, dancers, actors, visual artists, singers, orators, poets and unique performance artists. In addition, several nationally and locally recognized artists and groups representing a wide variety of artistic endeavors host workshops that provide information and inspiration to the students. Performances and seminars are scheduled during each class period throughout the week.
One of the more popular attractions during Fine Arts Week are the student Talent Shows. York possesses such an eclectic mix of talent that there are three separate Talent Show (50 minute) segments. The Talent Show culminates with an evening performance open to the public on Thursday, February 25 at 7 PM in the York Auditorium. Revenues from the evening performances ticket sales provides funding for the following year’s Fine Arts Week. Additional funds are raised through community concerts and grant writing. OnTuesday, February 23 the FAW committee will host an event at 7 PM at Fitz’s Spare Keys in downtown Elmhurst. This special off-campus concert will include the soulful blues-rock of York student group They Found Us, the “stubborn American rock” of The Rented Mules (comprised of three York teachers), and headliners, Blood Red Boots. A suggested donation of $5 will be accepted at the door.
BOOSTERS’ ANNUAL GREEN SCENE FUNDRAISER IS FEBRUARY 27 – The York Athletic Booster Annual Green Scene is Saturday, February 27 at Fitz’s Spare Keys from 7-11 PM. This year’s Green Scene is a casual night of fun, friends, silent and live auctions, raffles, bowling and pool. You can bowl or play pool with your favorite York coach. Auction items include many York Parking passes, six graduation tickets and preferred parking for graduation. We also have a condo on beautiful Sanibel Island, Cubs, Bears, and Bulls tickets. Prices are $40 in advance and $50 at the door. If you would like to buy tickets please contact a Booster member, purchase through the York Booster website or contact Jill Riecker at email@example.com. In 2015-2016, the Boosters gave $70,000 to York HS Athletics.
YOUTH JOB/VOLUNTEER FAIR VENDOR REGISTRATION NOW OPEN – Your organization is invited to be part of the second annual Youth Job/Volunteer Fair, sponsored by the Elmhurst Commission on Youth and its partnering agencies – District 205, the Elmhurst Park District, Elmhurst Public Library, YMCA, Elmhurst Junior Women’s Club and the Kiwanis of Elmhurst. The Fair will be held in the York High School Commons, 355 E. St. Charles Road, on Wednesday, March 23 from 3 to 6 PM.
Businesses and organizations are urged to participate for the following reasons: Increase public support and visibility for your organization/business in the community • Communicate your organization’s mission • Meet potential volunteers/teen workers face-to-face • Display job and volunteer opportunities • Build connections with other non-profits and businesses • Network and make new contacts • Expand your number of volunteers/teen worker contact list • Demonstrate your support for the youth of our community. To access the vendor registration form, click on this link. Students need not register to participate.
ELMHURST COMMISSION ON YOUTH SEEKS EXEMPLARY VOLUNTEER NOMINEES – Know an amazing kid? The City of Elmhurst’s Commission on Youth is currently seeking nominees for its annual Exemplary Youth Service Awards, which will be presented on Wednesday, April 27 at Sandburg Middle School. Nominations are currently being accepted. The volunteer must be an Elmhurst resident (Elmhurst address), live within School District 205 boundaries or attend an Elmhurst school.
To nominate a worthy student, please visit www.elmhurst.org to download a form or complete the nomination online. The direct URL is http://tinyurl.com/ExemplaryYouthServiceAwards-16. Nominees may be of elementary age through high school; their service must be voluntary and unpaid. Nominations will be accepted now through March 11, 2016. Hard copy forms should be submitted to City Hall, 209 N. York Street, Elmhurst, IL, 60126 and marked: Attention Exemplary Youth Service Awards.
YORK DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI NOMINATIONS DUE APRIL 30 – Last fall, the York Distinguished Alumni Program (YDAP) recognized and honored 8 Dukes of Distinction, alumni who have distinguished themselves through significant and extraordinary accomplishments or through service and an outstanding contribution to society. Please visit this link to read about the 2015 Dukes of Distinction. The nomination deadline for 2016 has been extended to April 30.
For further information, please visit the YDAP page, click here for the nomination form, or contact Melea Smith /Debbie Hollstein in the Office of Communications/Alumni Relations at 630-941-4719.
WANT TO REVIEW THE WORK OF FOCUS 205 PHASE 1? – All of the information presented at this fall’s four Focus 205 community engagement meetings is available online at www.focus205.org. Included are presentations, videos, verbatim documents and executive summaries. If you couldn’t attend at all, or missed a session or two, we encourage you to review the work that was done. Please watch the first session video before the others, as it will explain the process. A mid-term report will be given to the Board of Education by the Focus 205 Facilitating Team on March 8. You may still provide feedback by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK – The District 205 virtual backpack page is a great place to find student and family-oriented activities offered by non-profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly at http://www.elmhurst205.org/flyers. The following items were recently posted:
- Celebrate Presidents' Day at the STEM Open House – The DuPage Regional Office Of Education Invites Students (Grades 5 to 8) and Their Parents To The Open House – February 15 – 10 AM to12 Noon – Free Event – Registration Required
- Epiphany Lutheran Church – Children's Clothing Resale - February 26 - 6PM to 9 PM And February 27 - 8 AM to 11 AM – Toy & Equipment Resale – March 18 – 7 PM to 9 PM And March 19 - 8 AM to 10 AM
- Robert Crown Centers For Health Presents Happy To Be Me! – February 27 – 10 AM To 1 PM– Oak Brook Hills Resort – For Girls Grades 4 to 7 And The Important Women In Their Lives – Register At robertcrown.org
- PTA Council Scholarship Presents – Ladies Who Lunch – Benefiting Scholarship for York Graduating Seniors – Cafe Amano – February 18 – 11:30 AM – $30 Per Person
- PTA Council Scholarship For Graduating York Seniors – Fannie May Candy Sale – Orders Due By February 19 – Candy Delivered To Your Door Week of March 14 – See Website For Catalog and Order Form
- Annie's Allergy Awareness Walk Kick Off – Diplomat In Elmhurst – February 20 – 7 to 11 PM – Adult Get Together To Raise Funds – Cost $50 pp Raffle Prizes – Silent Auction – Sports Memorabilia & More
- Mary K Steffens Foundation Annual Fundraiser – Supporting Scholarships for Elmhurst Students – Elmhurst Relay for Life & Cancer Research – Fitz's Spare Keys – February 20 – 6:30 PM
Bowling – Food – Raffles – Space Is Limited – Register Now
- 30th Annual Lion's Club – All You Can Eat Pizza Party (Roberto's Pizza) – Includes Cookies and Soda – March 12 – 5 to 7 PM – Sandburg Middle School – Ticket Price – $7 pp – Family – $35 (5 or More) – Under 6 Free
- 3 ON 3 Basketball Tournament & 3 Point Shooting Contest – March 19 – 9 AM – Elmhurst College – Benefiting Hydrocephalus – Register by March 12 – Divisions – Grade 3 to Age 46
LIBRARY AND MUSEUMS
Elmhurst Public Library
- Calendar of Events
- The Technical/Vocational Education Pathway to a Great Career – For Teens & Adults –February 24 – 7 PM - 8:30 PM – Register Online – In Person – Phone
Elmhurst Art Museum
- Calendar of Events
- Elmhurst Artists' Guild Winter Member Show – January 17 to February 26
Elmhurst Historical Museum
- Winter Calendar of Events
- Calendar of Events
PARK DISTRICT & RECREATION PROGRAMS
- Upcoming Programs and Events
Bensenville Park District
- Winter/Spring Program Guide
- Special Events
Bensenville Recreation and Community Programming
- Bensenville Recreation & Community Programs
- Water's Edge Aquatic Center Learn To Swim – February 13 – March 20 – All Levels – Register Early
- Edge Ice Arena – Winter Sessions – Learn to Skate – All Levels – Register In Person/Phone or Online
Elmhurst Park District
- Upcoming Programs and Events – Special Talk205 Event Page
- Family Valentine's Day Party At Courts Plus – Make Crafts – Cards – Family Zumba – February 14 – 3 to 5 PM – $12 – Members/$17 Non-Members
- Parent’s Night Out – February 12 – 6:30 PM to 9 PM Ages 3 To 12 $10 – Per Child Member $20 Per Child – Non-Member Pre-Registration Required
- School's Out Full Day Programs – February 15 – March 4 – 7 AM To 6 PM – $55 For Members $110 For Non-Members
- Spring Swimming Lessons – Two Sessions February 15 – April 10 And April 11 – June 5
- Daddy/Daughter Dance – February 20 – 7 PM To 8:30 PM – $10 – Member Dad & Date – $20 –Non-Member Dad & Date – $5 Each Additional Date – Register at Service Desk
- Elmhurst YMCA Summer Camps – Registration Begins February 1 – Traditional Full-Day –Kindergarten – Preschool – Teen Specialty – Sports Camp – Extended Care Available
Park Arts Center – Villa Park
- January – February Calendar of Events
- Glenbard Parent Series – Josh Shipp – Helping Adults Understand Teens and Teens Understand Themselves – Feb 18 – 7 PM Glenbard North – Free and Open to the Public
- Fermi Lab Program For Students – Science Adventures: Find Classes for Children and Families
- Linden Oaks Mental Health First Aid Classes – How to Interact and Help Someone Experiencing A Mental Health Or Addiction Challenge Or Crisis – March 2 & 9 – Elmhurst Hospital – Registration Required
PARENT SUPPORT GROUPS
- Access Sports
- Gateway – Special Education Recreational Association
- REACH PTA Invites All District 4-8 Graders To An Interactive and Fun Math Program –March 3 – 7 to 8:30 PM – Bryan Middle School – Parents Are Asked To Stay For The Program
- University of Illinois Engineering Open House – March 11 and 12 – Free and Open to the Public – For Families and Students Of All Ages
- SERG – Special Education Resources Group – Enhance Students' Access to Curriculum Using Chrome Apps – Extensions – Add-Ons & Websites – Presented by Sharon Meldgin, M.A. and AT Specialist – February 18 – 7 to 9 PM – Everyone Welcome – District 205 Center
REGISTRATION AND RESOURCES
- Tree Town Preschool Registration – Now open for 2016 – 2017 – Offering classes for ages 2 to 4 – Plus Kindergarten Enrichment
- Mary Queen of Heaven – Preschool And Kindergarten Enrichment Program – Register Now For Fall 2016
- Bethel Learning Center Preschool Registration – Now Open For 2016-2017 – Classes For Ages 2 to 4 – Extended Day – Kindergarten Enhancement
- University of Illinois Extension – Winter/Spring Programs With 4H – Spark Your Curiosity – Makerspace Spin Club – International Night – Skill-Building – Spring Break Workshops
- York High School Poms Dance Camp – For Grades K to 8 Deadline – February 8 – Camp Days – February 9 and 11 – 4 to 6:15 PM – Performance – February 12 at Varsity Basketball Game 1/2 Time. Click here for registration form.
- Elmhurst College Volleyball Clinic – Spring Break – March 28 To April 1 – Grades 2 to 5 –March 28 To April 1 – Grade 6 To 8 – Register By March 22
SUMMER CAMPS AND PROGRAMS 2016
- Elmhurst College Summer Music Camps – June – July
- Northwestern Center for Talent Development – Summer Programs For Ages 4 to Grade 12 –Enrichment, Honors and AP Courses – Location: Elmhurst College
- Volunteer at Aspire – Many Opportunities Available Single Project – Group Activities – Special Events Call 708-547-3550 x 3554 for More Information