Sign up to receive TALK205 Messages
Interested community members are invited to sign up to receive Talk205 messages from the Elmhurst School District 205 Office of Communications and Public Relations. Talk205 is District 205's communication system, powered by Blackboard Connect. Custodial parents/guardians of District 205 students, as well as District 205 staff, are automatically included in messaging (both email and phone calls) sent through this system. Because Talk205 is connected to our Student Information System, parents need do nothing when students change grade or school - it will automatically be updated.
IF YOU ARE A CUSTODIAL PARENT/GUARDIAN OF A DISTRICT 205 STUDENT, OR A DISTRICT 205 STAFF MEMBER, DO NOT SIGN UP HERE FOR TALK205. You are automatically included if you have already provided your school with an e-mail address.
Click the logo below to subscribe.
Talk205 - October 27
In this issue –
- Support the Foundation and Order Your Holiday Tree Now
- Reminder to Turn Back Clocks One Hour on
- Signup for Parent-Teacher Conferences Begins on
- York Distinguished Alumni Program Honors 7 New Inductees
- Six Stories Up in Equality: Middle School Students Take a Stand
- Commission on Youth to Present Heroin Forum on
- York High School Celebrates Veterans’ Day 2014 – And You’re Invited!
- District 205 Foundation Offers Sponsorship Opportunities for 25th Anniversary
- Register Now For Little Dukes Preschool Program at York High School
- Postings on the Virtual Backpack Page
SUPPORT THE FOUNDATION AND ORDER YOUR HOLIDAY TREE NOW – This pre-order holiday tree sale by the District 205 Foundation is a fundraising tradition. Proceeds support the Foundation with funds that benefit all 13 public schools. This sale also supports the long-standing Elmhurst tradition of beautifully lit streets that line our neighborhoods during the holiday season. Neighborhood group orders of really fresh Nova Scotia Balsams are delivered free of charge just prior to Thanksgiving.
The Foundation website contains all the tools you will need to be a tree captain for your block. It is an easy and rewarding way to support our schools! Beautiful Fraser and Douglas Firs for indoor display are also available and can be picked up on or delivered for a fee. Click here for more information or to place an order. Orders are due .
REMINDER TO “FALL BACK” THIS – Everyone gets an extra hour of sleep this weekend! Please remember to turn your clocks back one hour, as Daylight Savings Time ends on . This change provides an extra hour of sunlight in the morning, but earlier darkness in the evening and officially heralds the approach of winter.
SIGN-UP FOR PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCES BEGINS – Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held on , from , November 25, from . All K-12 students will attend school on the first day of conferences, according to their normal schedule. There will be no school for students on . , and , 27 and 28, are non-attendance days for students and staff, due to the Thanksgiving holidays.
Parents of middle school and high school students will soon be receiving an email containing a link through which they may sign up online to reserve conference slots during a specified window of time. Online sign-up will go “live” on the 2014 Parent/Teacher Conferences web page beginning on and will conclude on . Parents will be able work simultaneously in two “windows” to build their family’s conference schedule.
Parent-Teacher Conference sign-up for EC-5 students took place earlier in the fall at Open House events. Parents of these students may contact their child’s school with any questions.
YORK DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI PROGRAM HONORS 7 NEW INDUCTEES – The York Distinguished Alumni Program (YDAP) is gearing up for a celebration/induction of the 2014 Dukes of Distinction. The YDAP program is designed to recognize York High School alumni who have distinguished themselves through significant and/or extraordinary accomplishments, service and/or an outstanding contribution to society.
On the following Dukes of Distinction will be honored:
- Dr. Robert Chen, Class of 1973
- John Coughlan, Class of 1960
- Beth Finke, Class of 1976
- Gary Rydstrom, Class of 1977
- Kathleen Sherman, Class of 1970
- Dr. Martin Stoker, Class of 1939
- Sgt. Joseph Vanek, Class of 2003
Please mark your calendar and plan to attend a reception in the York Commons at , followed by a program at . This event is free and open to the public; no tickets are required. To read more about this year’s honorees, visit www.elmhurst205.org/DukesofDistinction.
SIX STORIES UP IN EQUALITY: MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS TAKE A STAND – Disability rights, religious freedom, environmental activism—these are just a few of the topics tackled by middle school kids and their adult mentors in this hilarious and touching original musical, set in Washington D.C. As bullying, gang warfare and violent video games bombard the youth of today, Six Stories Up in Equality challenges the cast and audience members alike to examine family, compassion and the courage to speak up. This riveting show is completely written, performed and produced by adults and children with and without disabilities.
The play is geared toward adults and children age nine and up and will be performed Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays beginning at the Athenaeum Theatre Studio Two (click here for details). Six Stories Up in Equality is the final product of an annual mentoring program developed by Tellin' Tales Theatre, which was founded and is supported by a large number of York High School alumni. Tekki Lomnicki (1974) serves as Artistic Director, assisted by Sue Nunamaker and Kate Byard. Also involved are former York Drama Director Les Zunkel (1963) and Molly Weisman (2004).
COMMISSION ON YOUTH TO PRESENT HEROIN FORUM, – Heroin use is a growing problem among all young people, including young people in our community. Heroin has a particularly strong pull on young athletes, in comparison to other drugs. Players can become addicted as part of a general overuse of opiate-based pain killers like Vicodin, OxyContin and oxycodone. Parents should be aware of this alarming pattern, especially parents of adolescents.
In response to this concern, the City of Elmhurst’s Commission on Youth will present a community education forum, “The New Face of Heroin, It’s Not What You Think,” on , from at Superior Air-Ground Ambulance Service, 395 Lake Street, Elmhurst.
Featured speakers will be DuPage County Coroner Dr. Richard Jorgensen, along with Matt Quinn, MA, LCPC, CADC, of the new Elmhurst Hospital Adolescent Mental Health Outpatient Program and Corey Worden, MA, LCPC, CADC, of Linden Oaks at Edward.
Learn what’s driving the heroin epidemic and what you can do about it. Discussion will focus on:
- The production, distribution and demographics of heroin use and abuse in DuPage County
- The physiology, short- and long-term effects of heroin addiction
- Narcan treatment protocols and how they have saved lives
- What lies beneath this growing problem - a substance abuse epidemic
- Practical things that YOU can do - tips, ideas, resources for help
This program is free and open to the public. Walk-ins are welcome, but reservations are appreciated, so that adequate seating is available for all. To make a reservation, please call (630) 530-3010 or visithttp://tinyurl.com/HeroinForum111014 by .
YORK HIGH SCHOOL CELEBRATES VETERANS’ DAY 2014 – On , members of the York Student Council will serve a free breakfast to American veterans and their families from in the high school cafeteria. Please contact York Student Council Advisor Matt Moran if you are interested in attending the assembly, the breakfast or both. Let him know how many people will be attending each event by sending an email to MMoran@elmhurst205.org or calling 630-617-2400, ext. 7285 and leaving a message.
York High School will be holding its third annual all-school Veterans’ Day assembly on . Any interested U.S. veterans, as well as current servicemen and women, are invited to come and be honored in York’s Campbell Gym. The assembly begins at and will include speeches from selected veterans, as well as York students and administrators. Veterans are encouraged to arrive at for coffee, pastries and bagels in the high school’s Yorker Room, 355 W. St. Charles Road, Elmhurst (please enter through main door).
DISTRICT 205 FOUNDATION OFFERS SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES – Thanks to the generous support of the Elmhurst community, the District 205 Foundation for Educational Excellence is celebrating its silver anniversary during the 2014–15 school year. The pinnacle of this 25th anniversary celebration will be the Silver Ball on . The Foundation is currently seeking corporate, business or family sponsors for this special milestone event and fundraiser. Sponsors will receive recognition, appreciation and the satisfaction that their contribution supports a great educational cause that impacts all children and families in District 205. Click here for more information on sponsorship opportunities.
REGISTER NOW FOR LITTLE DUKES PRESCHOOL PROGRAM – The Little Dukes Preschool program offered at York Community High School is currently taking registration for those children aged 3 to 5 years old who are potty trained. This lab-based preschool is taught by a supervising teacher with the collaboration of the high school students. A new session starts on and runs through on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from . The cost is $250 per child. Registration ends , or earlier if the class is full. Only ten spots remain. Contact Rachael Marten at firstname.lastname@example.org for registration information or with questions.
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK – The District 205 virtual backpack page is a great place to find student and family-oriented activities offered by non-profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly athttp://www.elmhurst205.org/flyers. The following items were recently posted:
- District 205 Foundation Holiday Tree Sale – Trees Picked up or Delivered on – Order Neighborhood Trees – Order Online or Drop Off by – See Website to Download Form
- Spirito Gala Autumn Voices – to – Drury Lane – Dinner – Sweets – Unique Auctions – Games – See Website
- York Distinguished Alumni Recognition – Community Invited to Meet the 2014 Dukes of Distinction – – Reception – Program – Location: York Community High School, 355 W. St. Charles Road, Elmhurst
- Elmhurst Children's Theatre Presents HONK at Sandburg Middle School – – and – 2 PM – Tickets $8 at Door – See Flyer for Group Ticket Information
- Wonder What Kids Think About Equality? – Tellin' Tales Theatre Presents Six Stories Up in Equality – Directed by York Alum – Tekki Lomnicki – Fridays – – –Saturdays – – – Sundays – November 9* and 16 at
- Veterans Day Breakfast – Free for Veterans and Their Families – York High School – email@example.com or Call 630-617-2300 x 7285 to – RSVP Number Attending to
- Veterans Day Assembly – November 11 – Veterans Invited to Attend and Be Honored at School Assembly – Arrive at firstname.lastname@example.org or Call 630-617-2300 x 7285 for Coffee and Light Breakfast – Program – RSVP Number Attending to
- City of Elmhurst Commission on Youth – The New Face of Heroin: It's Not What You Think– – Featuring Dr. Richard Jorgensen – DuPage Co. Coroner – Free and Open to the Public Registration Information Here
- Elmhurst Symphony Orchestra – Music of the Soul – Classical Perfection – –Ticket Information
Bensenville Park District
- Fall Program Guide
- Italian Women in Chicago – Highlighting the Roles Italian Women Have Played in the History of Chicago – – Frick Center
- Yearning for Values, Leadership and God – Eric Yoffie – Expert on Judaism in America – – Frick Center
- Heroic Conservatism – Michael Gerson – Why Republicans Need to Embrace America's Ideals – – Frick Center
- Tickets $10 at the Door or Here (Free For Elmhurst College Students, Faculty, Staff and Alumni)
Elmhurst Park District
- Upcoming Programs and Events – Special Talk205 Event Page
Elmhurst Public Library
- Practice ACT – to
- Elmhurst YMCA Travel Basketball for Grades 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8 – Practices Start Mid – November –Games January thru Early March – Try Out Dates
- Elmhurst YMCA Basketball Leagues for Grades 2 thru High School and Adult Leagues
- PTA Council Scholarship – Fannie May Candy Sale – Raising Funds for Graduating York Seniors –Complete Orders by November 12 – Orders Delivered to Your Home Week of – Catalog and Order Sheet
- Lions Club Pumpkin Patch at The Abbey – Sale Begins (While Supplies Last)
- United Community Concerns Association Presents – Arte at Nite: Food for Life – November 7 – Shop and Dine in Elmhurst – 10% of Proceeds Provide Food for D205 Students and Families – List of Participating Vendors
- Access Sports – Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser – – See Website to Purchase Tickets
- Fundraiser for Elmhurst Yorkfield Food Pantry – to – Doc Ryan's – Donation of $25 at the Door – Appetizers Will Be Provided
- Elmhurst Artists' Guild – Autumn Magic –
- Elmhurst Art Museum – Programs and Classes for Kids and Adults
- DuPage Children’s Museum – October and November Calendar
- Lizzadro Museum – Programs
Resources and Registration
- Elmhurst Children's Theatre Fall Classes – Introduction to Musical Theatre – Grade 1 to 3 – Triple Threat – Grades 4 to 6 – Tuesdays – – See Website for Registration Form
- Brookfield Zoo – Fall/Winter – Boo at the Zoo – October 18/19 and 25/26 – –See Flyer for Complete Listings and BOGO Admission
- Edge Ice Arena – Learn to Skate Program – Beginning – See Flyer for Dates and Times
- ICCP Annual Junior High Dodgeball Tournament – More Information – For All Students in Grade 7 and 8 – Raise Money for Your Favorite Charity – Six Members Per Team –
- ICCP – Math Contest – For All Students in Grades 7 and 8 – – Awards for Individuals and Groups – More Information
- Worlds of Wisdom and Wonder – Classes in Elmhurst – , 25, ,8, and 15 – 10% Discount – Use Code HD205W15 – More Information
- Elmhurst Jr. Dukes Wrestling Club – Grades K to 8 – $160 Per Wrestler – First Day of Practice – – See Website for More Information
- ICCP – Fall Baseball Camp Series – October 25 – Hitting – – Fielding for Boys Grade 4 to 8 – See Flyer for More Information
- York Boys Volleyball Fall 2014 Clinic – Instruction by York Coaching Staff and Varsity Athletes –For Boys Grades 5 to 8 – November 8 and 15 – – Registration Form
- Elmhurst Youth Baseball Little League – 2015 Season Registration – or – – Online Registration Here
- Elmhurst Swim Team – Improve Your Stroke – See Website to Register for Fall and Winter