Sign up to receive TALK205 Messages
Interested community members are invited to sign up to receive Talk205 messages from the Elmhurst School District 205 Office of Communications and Public Relations. Talk205 is District 205's communication system, powered by Blackboard Connect. Custodial parents/guardians of District 205 students, as well as District 205 staff, are automatically included in messaging (both email and phone calls) sent through this system. Because Talk205 is connected to our Student Information System, parents need do nothing when students change grade or school - it will automatically be updated.
IF YOU ARE A CUSTODIAL PARENT/GUARDIAN OF A DISTRICT 205 STUDENT, OR A DISTRICT 205 STAFF MEMBER, DO NOT SIGN UP HERE FOR TALK205. You are automatically included if you have already provided your school with an e-mail address.
Click the logo below to subscribe.
Talk205 - May 11
In this issue –
- York Orchestras Present Two Concerts This Week,
- Partial 2015-16 Calendar and End-of-Year Dates Posted
- Time to Take Stock of Lunch Balances
- Clover’s Fundraiser Benefits the Madison Sensory Garden
- Kindergarten, 2th and 6th Grade Dental Exams Due By May 15
- New Immunization Requirement for 6th and 12th Grade Students
- York’s 2015 Commencement Streamed Live on
- Museum Day Offers Free Admission and Trolley Rides on
- Dinner at Elmhurst Potbelly Supports Elmhurst Instrumental Music Boosters
- Postings on the Virtual Backpack Page
YORK ORCHESTRAS PRESENT TWO CONCERTS THIS WEEK – York Community High School's Music Department will present performances by the York Cadet and Concert Orchestras on Tuesday, May 12 at 7:30 PM. The concert will feature a variety of music including music of Franz Schubert, Georg Frideric Handel and Arcangelo Corelli, as well as music from West Side Story and the movie The Notebook. Featured soloists include violinists Laura Hyink, Ellie Keblusek, Anita Wary and Katherine Wegmann, cellists Becky Swanson and Gabriela Mastro and harpsichordist Ella Glabus. A reception honoring the student musicians will follow the concert in the York cafeteria.
On , the York Community High School Music Department will present a special performance by the York Symphony Orchestra. The concert will honor the graduating class of 2015, and will feature three winners of the York Concerto Competition. Junior Julia Dierksheide will perform Carlos Salzedo’s stunning “Chanson dans la nuit” for harp and strings. Senior Becky Swanson will perform the first movement of Heitor Villa Lobos’ Fantasia for Saxophone and Orchestra. Senior Lauren Gaynor will perform Otar Gordeli’s Concertino for Flute and Orchestra. The program will also feature the first movement of Ludwig Van Beethoven’s Symphony No. 5, John Williams’ thrilling Cowboys Overture and music of Robert Washburn. Other featured student musicians include violinist Joelle Chiu and cellist Liz Pronove. A reception honoring the seniors will follow the concert in the York Cafeteria.
The York High School Orchestras are directed by Ray Ostwald, assisted by VanderCook College of Music student teacher Marisa Bellie. Both performances are in Baker Auditorium at York High School. Admission is free.
PARTIAL CALENDAR FOR 2015-16 AND END-OF-YEAR DATES POSTED – A partial calendar for 2015-16 that outlines the first day of school for York High and EC-8 students, as well as holidays and the Winter and Spring breaks was approved by the Board of Education on April 28. In this proposed calendar, the first day of school for high school students would be , and the first day of school for elementary and middle school students would be .
The 2014-15 End-of-Year Calendar is now posted on the District 205 website. These dates include the York final exam schedules (and related dismissals), eighth grade promotions, as well as last day of school dismissal times. Please note that the last day, , will be a non-attendance day for all Madison Early Childhood and York High School students.
TIME TO TAKE STOCK OF LUNCH BALANCES – With only a few weeks left until the last day of school, it’s time to take stock of your child(ren)’s lunch balance(s). To access either the Webstore or MyNutriKids accounts, please visit the Café 205 page and click on the appropriate link, depending on which service your family is using. For those who have a positive balance, please know that at the end of the year your student’s account will roll over to the next school year (and be transferred to his/her new location, if they are moving schools within District 205).
Families with a senior at York High School may transfer an unused balance to a sibling. If there are no siblings remaining in District 205, the cutoff for refund requests will be . Those requests need to be made to Director of Food Services Cheryl Spencer at 630-617-2436 or Eileen Carroll at 630-617-2467. Balances under $5 will not be refunded.
GET READY TO PLANT AND HELP THE MADISON SENSORY GARDEN TOO – It's time to think about spring and summer gardening by shopping at Clover's Garden Center, 990 N. York Road, on clicking here.
KINDERGARTEN, 2ND AND 6TH GRADE DENTAL EXAMS DUE BY MAY 15 – Please remember that all kindergarten, second and sixth grade students need a dental exam by . This is a State of Illinois requirement. Schedule an appointment today so your form is completed by this deadline. If you need a form, please . Ten percent of pre-tax sales will go to the Madison PTA. This is a fundraising event for the Madison Early Childhood Education Center's Sensory Garden and Outdoor Classroom. Please bring along the coupon to ensure your purchase is credited to the Madison PTA. Links to the coupon in both English and Spanish may be found by click here. For a dental form in Spanish, click here.
NEW IMMUNIZATION REQUIRMENT FOR 6TH AND 12TH GRADE STUDENTS – Per the Illinois Department of Public Health, beginning with the 2015-2016 school year, any child entering the 6th gradeshall show proof of having received 1 dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV4) prior to the beginning of school. The first dose shall have been received on or after the 11th birthday. The meningococcal immunization is in addition to the previously required immunizations for 6th grade entry.
Any child entering the 12th grade shall show proof of having received TWO doses of the meningococcal conjugate vaccine prior to the beginning of school. The first dose shall have been received on or after the 11th birthday, and the second dose shall have been received on or after the 16th birthday, or at least eight weeks after the first dose. If the first dose is administered when the child is 16 years of age or older, only one dose is required.
Without proof of immunization, your child will be subject to exclusion in the fall of 2015, as set forth in the Illinois School Code and per Elmhurst School District 205 procedures. If you have questions regarding your child’s current immunization status with regard to this new requirement, please contact your child’s school nurse.
YORK’S 2015 COMMENCEMENT STREAMED LIVE ON SUNDAY – The York Community High School 2015 Commencement ceremony will be streamed live and made available via York’s website on this link from a Flash-enabled web browser on any Internet-connected computer. Thanks to a partnership with High School Cube, the ceremony will continue to be available for viewing on this page long after the event concludes. It may also be seen on Comcast (6) and AT&T U-verse (99); check the ELMHURST OUR KIND OF TOWN listings., beginning at . It may be viewed by clicking on
The Class of 2015 will be treated to 2014 Duke of Distinction Gary Rydstrom (Class of 1977) as a featured Commencement speaker. Mr. Rydstrom is a director, film sound designer and re-recording mixer extraordinaire. He has been nominated for 17 Academy awards and won 7, including: Terminator 2,Jurassic Park, A River Runs Through It, Toy Story, Quiz Show, Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, Star Wars: Episode I, Punch-Drunk Love, Finding Nemo and War Horse. Gary received the Motion Picture Sound Editors’ Golden Reel Career Achievement Award (2005). He also directed Strange Magic, an animation produced by Lucasfilm, which was recently released by Disney.
MUSEUM DAY OFFERS FREE ADMITTANCE ON – Hop aboard the trolley on 630-833-1457., to celebrate International Museum Day with all four Elmhurst museums: Elmhurst Historical Museum, Elmhurst Art Museum and the Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art. Enjoy a fun and educational day in Elmhurst, recognizing the cultural contributions of museums. Park at one museum and ride a complimentary trolley to each location for free exhibit admission, special activities and more. Collect a stamp at all three museums (open ) to be included in a drawing for great door prizes. All ages are welcome. For more information, call
DINNER AT ELMHURST POTBELLY SUPPORTS EIMB – You are invited to join the Elmhurst Instrumental Music Boosters (EIMB) at Potbelly Sandwich Works on St. Charles Road in Elmhurst on Wednesday, May 27, anytime from 4-
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK. No coupon is necessary. Potbelly will donate a portion of all sales to this parent organization that funds financial aid for instrument rental and summer scholarships for deserving band, orchestra and choir students. – The District 205 Virtual Backpack page is a great place to find student and family-oriented activities offered by non-profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly atwww.elmhurst205.org/flyers. The following items were recently posted:
2015 DISTRICT 205 SUMMER SCHOOL
- York Summer School – Academic & Athletic
- Instrumental Music
- Worlds of Wisdom & Wonder
2015 SUMMER PROGRAMS & CAMPS – ACADEMIC & ATHLETIC
- Elmhurst College Summer Music Program –Includes Music Academy – Jazz Combo Camp – Credo Prelude Chicago Credo Flute – Vocal Voyage Camp – Acoustic Guitar Boot Camp
- College of DuPage Summer Youth Academy
- ICCP Summer Youth Enrichment Classes & Athletic Camps – Registration Now Open
- YMCA Summer Camps – Traditional Full-Day – Kindergarten – Preschool – Teen – Specialty And Sports Camps – Extended Care Available
- Center For Gifted – D205 Students Use HOE205S15 For 10% Discount
Worlds of Wisdom And Wonder – Grades Pre-K to 8 – Session I –
Project 2015 – Grades 6 to 12 – – Location: Sandburg Middle School – Free Bus Service From Select Locations – Session II – – Session III – July 13 to – Location: Sandburg Middle School
- Northwestern University Center for Talent Development Summer Programs – Locations: Elmhurst College – Naperville – NU (Evanston) – Program For Students Age 4 to Grade 12
- DuPage 4H Summer Programs – Includes Exotic Bird Program – STEM – Food Preservation
- Volleyball Camp – Elementary School & Middle School – AM Session – $85 PM Session $100 – 7 to 11 Years – And 12 to 14 Years –
- Elmhurst Children's Theatre – Summer Drama Camps – Week 1 – – Week 2 – June 22 to 26 – For Grades 1 to 3 – 3 to 5 – 5 to 8
- Elmhurst College Girls’ Basketball Camp – Grades 1 to 8 June 22 to 25 –
- Forest Preserve District of DuPage County Nature Fest – June 27 – to – Hand-On Event For Kids Of All Ages To Discover Nature
- 2015 Basketball Skills Camp At Elmhurst College – For Boys and Girls Ages 4 To 14
Session 1 – – Session 2 – – Cost – $210 Per Camper/Camp
- American Music Institute – Summer Music Camps for Ages 5 to 18 – June 22 to 26
- Summer @ Illinois Tech – For Middle and High School Students Interested In
Technology – Business – Architecture Science – Engineering – Computers
- Access Sports/AYSO Soccer 2015 -2016 Season – Registration for Athletes With Disabilities Entering Grades K to Transition Program – – York High School
- Annual Pet Parade – Canceled (May 16) Due to Canine Influenza – Spring Road Business Assoc. & Elmhurst Chamber of Commerce
- 19th Annual Elmhurst Museum Day – – – All Elmhurst Museums Are Free –Activities – Games – Prizes – Ride the Trolley To All 3 Museums
- Spirito! Singers Auditions for 2015-16 Season – Ragazze – For Girls Grades 5 to 8 Includes Multi-Level Classroom Theory Training And Bravura – For Young Women Grades 9 to 12 Concert, Recording and Touring Ensemble – Call 630-581-5440 To Schedule An Audition
BENSENVILLE PARK DISTRICT
- Spring Program Guide
BENSENVILLE RECREATION AND COMMUNITY PROGRAMMING
- Bensenville Wahoo – Water's Edge Aquatic Center – Swim Team – – Ages 6 to 18
ELMHURST Park District
- Upcoming Programs and Events – Special Talk205 Event Page
ELMHURST PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Calendar of Events
- YMCA – Website
- Teen Night at the Y Basketball – Dodgeball – Swimming – Pizza and More May 16 – Grades 5 to 8 – $10 for Members or Non-Members
- Annie Ryan 5K Run/Walk & 1 Mile Kids Dash – May 17 – Run/Walk – – 1 Mile Dash – – Online Must Register By – May 1
- Hawaiian Luau Pig-out For Cancer – – – Silverado Grill All Proceeds Benefit Relay for Life and American Cancer Society
Elmhurst Historical Museum
- Main Page
- Calendar of Events – March Through May
- Elmhurst Memory Jar Project – Share a Memory That Tells Your Story
- Summer Fun and Games – Tuesdays –
2$ – Members – 4$ – Non-Members and Pigskin Peanuts - 2015 Exhibit – – Free Admission – All Ages and Touchdown Tailgate Party – June 28 – 1 to 4 PM – Free Admission – Ages 4 to 12 – June 23 –
Elmhurst Art Museum
- Elmhurst Artists' Guild – Presents Dana De Ano – Town and Country – May 5 to June 12 – Reception on May 8 –
- Programs and Classes for Kids and Adults
OPPORTUNITIES TO VOLUNTEER
- Volunteer at Aspire – Many Opportunities Available Single Project – Group Activities – Special Events Call 708-547-3550 x 3554 for More Information
- Elmhurst Historical Museum – Fun and Games Summer Program – High School Students Needed Tuesdays – –
PARENT SUPPORT GROUPS
- SERG – (Special Education Resource Group) – Improving Your Child's Health Through Nutrition – Presented by Elizabeth Zinsmeister, LDN – May 21 – 7 to 9 PM – Elmhurst District 205Center – Free and Open to the Public
RESOURCES AND REGISTRATION
- AYSO Region 399 Registration for 2015-2016 Season – (Play Begins September 2015) – May 11 – May 21 – You Must Pre-Register
- St. Charles Borromeo – Vacation Bible School – June 15 to 19 – Entering Grades K to 5
$30 Per Child - $25 Child Care
- Welcome a New Friend From Spain – Sponsored by Timothy Christian International Student Program – District 205 Families Can Apply – Host Family Will Share Their Day-to-Day Life With a Student for 3 to 4 Weeks – Contact Laura Hernandez Hernandez@timothychristian.com
- Call Illinois Hunger Coalition's Hunger Hotline To Find a Summer Meals Site Near You –Hunger Hotline – 1-800-359-2163
- Team Elmhurst Soccer Club 2015-16 Tryouts – Boys and Girls Ages 7 to 18 – May 3 – – Berens Park