Sign up to receive TALK205 Messages
Interested community members are invited to sign up to receive Talk205 messages from the Elmhurst School District 205 Office of Communications and Public Relations. Talk205 is District 205's communication system, powered by Blackboard Connect. Custodial parents/guardians of District 205 students, as well as District 205 staff, are automatically included in messaging (both email and phone calls) sent through this system. Because Talk205 is connected to our Student Information System, parents need do nothing when students change grade or school - it will automatically be updated.
IF YOU ARE A CUSTODIAL PARENT/GUARDIAN OF A DISTRICT 205 STUDENT, OR A DISTRICT 205 STAFF MEMBER, DO NOT SIGN UP HERE FOR TALK205. You are automatically included if you have already provided your school with an e-mail address.
Click the logo below to subscribe.
Talk205 Message for September 19, 2016
In this issue –
- Online Parent-Teacher Conferences Sign-Up Opens This Week
- Glenbard Parenting Series Presents Temple Grandin, September 21
- Edward-Elmhurst Presents The Heroin Crisis – Out of the Shadows
- Healthy Driven Concussion and Sport Injuries Discussion – September 27
- The Harlem Wizards Are Coming to Elmhurst, Courtesy of the D205 Foundation
- Focus 205 Phase 2 Continues on Monday, October 3: Let’s Talk!
- Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) Information
- Coping With School Anxiety and Refusal – October 18 at EPL
- Screenwise: Raising Digital Natives With Devorah Heitner
- Postings on the Virtual Backpack page
ONLINE PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCES SIGN UP OPENS – Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held separately for all three levels of District 205 students this year - EC-5, middle school and high school. Parent-Teacher Conference sign-up for EC-5 students took place earlier in the fall at Open House events. Parents of these students may contact their child’s school with any questions.
Elementary Conferences will be held on Monday, November 21, from 4:30 to 8:00 PM and on Tuesday, November 22, from 10 AM to 6:00 PM. As a result, there will be no school for EC-5 students only on November 22.
High School Conferences are Tuesday, October 4 from 4 to 8:30 PM and Tuesday, October 11 from 12:00 to 7:00 PM. As a result, there will be no school for York High School students only on October 11. Middle School Conferences are Wednesday, October 5, from 4:00 to 8:30 PM and Friday, October 7, from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM. There will be no school for middle school students only on October 7.
On Tuesday, September 20, Bryan, Churchville and York will be sending a secure email document to the primary email address in PowerSchool which will include the Account Activation code for each student for PowerPTC, the system to schedule conferences.
We encourage you to activate your account immediately, but please be aware that conference sign-up will not go “live” on the 2016 Parent/Teacher Conferences web page until Friday, September 23, at 6:00 AM for York High School, Bryan and Churchville Middle Schools. The signup windows close on Thursday, September 29, at 11:55 PM.
Sandburg Middle School is holding student driven conferences this year. Sign up took place during Curriculum night in August.
GPS PRESENTS TEMPLE GRANDIN THIS WEDNESDAY – The Glenbard Parent Series (GPS) presents advocate/author/professor Temple Grandin, Different Not Less: Different Kinds of Minds, in a special event on Wednesday, September 21. Dr. Grandin offers information, inspiration and hope. This free program which will be presented at 3:00 PM and repeated at 7:00 PM at Glenbard East High School, 1014 S Main St. in Lombard. It is open to the public and requires no registration. Students are encouraged to attend. Please plan to arrive early as seating is limited.
Temple Grandin, PhD is one of the most accomplished and well-known adults with autism in the world. She has enjoyed numerous recognitions by the media, and her fascinating life, with all of its challenges and successes, was brought to the screen in an award winning film. Dr. Grandin didn't talk until she was three and a half years old, communicating her frustration instead by screaming and humming. In 1950, she was diagnosed with autism and her parents were told she should be institutionalized.
Dr. Grandin developed her talents into a successful career as a livestock-handling equipment designer, one of very few in the world. She is an internationally acclaimed speaker on autism and has also written numerous books on autism and the humane treatment of animals. Timemagazine named Dr. Grandin as one of the “100 Most Influential People in the World.”
EDWARD-ELMHURST PRESENTS “THE HEROIN CRISIS – OUT OF THE SHADOWS” – Please join Edward-Elmhurst Healthcare for a discussion on The Heroin Crisis - Out of the Shadows at Courts Plus Fitness, 186 S. West Ave., on Thursday, September 22, at 7 PM. Presenting will be Carol Harman, a clinical therapist who from Linden Oaks Behavioral Health Adult Chemical Dependency Intensive Outpatient Program at Linden Oaks Behavioral Health in Hinsdale. Please register by calling Courts Plus (630)833-5064 or email@example.com or register in person at the Courts Plus service desk. To view the flyer, click here.
CONCUSSION AND SPORT INJURIES DISCUSSION – More than 775,000 children, ages 14 and under, are treated in hospital emergency rooms for sports-related injuries each year. These numbers include concussions, a traumatic brain injury that alters the functioning of the brain, and contact/collision episodes that injure the body causing sprains, fractures and other injuries. Effects can be temporary or long term.
On September 27, plan to join Dr. Holly Benjamin, pediatric sports medicine physician with the University of Chicago Medicine, and on staff at Elmhurst Hospital, as she addresses sports-related injuries and return-to-play issues for children and young adults. This free Healthy Driven evening conversation will take place in the Arboretum Conference Center of Elmhurst Hospital beginning at 7 PM.
THE HARLEM WIZARDS ARE COMING TO ELMHURST! – Mark your calendar now for Thursday, September 29th. The Elmhurst District205 Foundation will again be hosting a Family Night of basketball slams and jams featuring the Harlem Wizards at York High School. They will be playing against our own “D205 All Stars” made up of Elmhurst faculty and staff. Raffle prizes, concessions and awesome merchandise will be offered for sale. Proceeds benefit all Elmhurst public schools through Foundation programs. Get your tickets early to be sure you get the best seats in the house! Limited number of courtside and reserved seating available. Buy tickets now at www.harlemwizards.com.
FOCUS 205 CONTINUES ON MONDAY, OCTOBER 3: LET’S TALK! – Last fall, Elmhurst District 205 launched a community engagement program called Focus 205 – a collaborative conversation between the community and the school district. Phase 1 involved four town hall-style meetings held September through December of 2015, focusing on next generation learning, future-ready educational environments and utilization of resources for maximum student success. The Focus 205 Findings Report summarizes the work of this phase.
Phase 2 began last spring with a comprehensive Educational Alignment Study; an update was presented to the Board of Education on May 24, 2016.
Focus 205 continues this fall with two more community meetings on October 3 and December 5, beginning at 7 PM in the York High School Commons, 355 W. St. Charles Road. We hope you will join us as we recap the work done last year, celebrate student achievement in District205 and begin exploring options that will support educational priorities in Elmhurst for years to come. RSVP at (630) 617-2300 ext. RSVP or at www.focus205.org. Please indicate if you require childcare (for ages 3-12).
In between those meetings, District 205 will be gathering community input through an online, interactive and completely confidential survey administered by a company called Thoughtexchange. What is Thoughtexchange? Watch their one-minute video to find out.
This is your chance to share what you value about District 205 as a parent and/or community member, what your vision is for our students’ future-ready learning, as well as ask any questions or contribute any thoughts you might have regarding public education in Elmhurst. Watch for the link in early October, and join the conversation!
Also, on Monday, October 24, Focus Group meetings will be held at each of our three middle schools beginning at 7 PM. Parents of elementary and high school students are encouraged to attend their child's "feeder" middle school. These meetings will involve a short formal presentation, followed by some questions to which attendees will be asked to react. There will be a moderator and a note taker to record comments. This feedback will help shape the Monday, December 5 Community Engagement Session #6.
COGNITIVE ABILITIES TEST (COGAT) INFORMATION – During the week of October 3, all second and fifth grade students will be administered the Cognitive Ability Test, or CogAT. The CogAT is a nationally standardized and norm-referenced test measuring reasoning and problem-solving skills. For more information regarding the CogAT, please see the CogAT FAQs.
Results from this assessment help classroom teachers to target learning needs and is used to identify students demonstrating a need for extended services, or REACH, beginning in the 2017-18 school year. The CogAT does not measure factors such as attention, effort, motivation, or work habits, all of which contribute to student learning and success.
Questions should be directed to your child’s principal. Families who do not wish to have their child(ren) complete the CogAT assessment should communicate that with their school principal.
COPING WITH SCHOOL ANXIETY AND REFUSAL – Join other parents at the Elmhurst Public Library on Tuesday, October 18from 12:30-2:30 PM when Jacqueline Rhew from Alexian Brothers will be presenting Intervention Strategies to Engage Students with Parents Struggling with School Anxiety and School Refusal. Sponsored by District 205 Social Workers, this program is free, but limited to the first 70 in attendance.
Para más información, comuníquese con Maria Gallegos al (630) 832-8682 ext. 3710
Para solicitar traducción al español en este evento, confirme asistencia a Maria antes del 14/10/16
SCREENWISE: RAISING DIGITAL NATIVES – On the evening of October 18, beginning at 7 PM in Sandburg Middle School’s auditorium, a free community program will be presented by Devorah Heitner, author of Screenwise: Helping Kids Thrive (and Survive) in Their Digital World. This special event is sponsored by the Elmhurst Commission On Youth.
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK – The District 205 Virtual Backpack page is a great place to find student and family-oriented activities offered by non-profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly at http://www.elmhurst205.org/flyers. The following items were recently posted:
- DuPage Forest Preserves After Dark Programs For Families – Night Hike By Lantern Light On September 23, Full Moon Hike On September 19, October 17, November 14 & December 19, Plus Much More
- Epiphany Lutheran Church Buy & Sell Kid's Stuff –Toy & Equipment Resale On September 30 From 7:30 To 9:30 PM & October 1 From 8 To 10 AM
- Edward Elmhurst Healthcare Presents The Heroin Crisis – Out Of The Shadows – Presented By Carol Harman BA, CADC From Linden Oak Behavioral Health On September 22 At 7 PM Location: Courts Plus Fitness – Please Register Via Email –firstname.lastname@example.org Or Call 630-833-5064
- League of Women Voters of Elmhurst Presents – Community Update On September 22 At 7 PM At Elmhurst Public Library Hear Community Leaders Will Give Update For Upcoming Years
- Zen Parenting Presents Screen Agers Growing Up In The Digital Age – York Theater On September 26 At 7 PM – Tickets $10
- Elmhurst Cool Cities Coalition Rehabilitate Your Lawn The Natural Way – September 29 At 7 PM Elmhurst Public Library Free Event & Public Is Welcome
- NaNoWriMo Presents Five Preparatory Workshops In October On How To Write Your Own Novel For Ages 13 & Older
- Elmhurst Symphony Orchestra Presents The Beatles & Friends – October 1 At 7 PM
- NIU STEMfest – October 8 From 10 AM To 5 PM Location: NIU Convocation Center – Free & Open To The Public
- Elmhurst Children's Theatre Presents Beauty And The Beast – October 14 At 7 PM, October 15 At 2 & 7 PM, October 16 At 2 PM At Bryan Middle School Tickets $8 At Door - Group Reservations (12 Or More) Available
- District 205 Social Worker Invite Parents To Intervention Strategies to Engage Students With Parents Struggling With School Anxiety & School Refusal – On October 18 From 12:30 To 2:30 PM Presenter: Jacqueline Rhew With Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health Hospital – No Reservations Needed But Participation Is Limited To 70 Persons
- Special Kids Day Free Halloween Dance Party – October 2 From 1 PM To 3 PM At The Diplomat West For Children & Adults Over 12 With Special Needs Are Invited Please Register at www.skd.org
- LaGrange Area Department Of Special Education Resource Fair On November 17 From6:00 PM To 8:30 PM At The Countryside Holiday Inn
- District 205 Foundation Featuring District 205 All Stars Playing The Harlem Wizards Basketball Team On September 29 At 7 PM At York High School
GLENBARD PARENT SERIES
- Glenbard Parent Series For 2016-2017 – All Events Free & Open To The Public
- Temple Grandin, PhD - Different...Not Less On September 21 At 3 And 7 PM At Glenbard East High School Free & Open To The Public
- Fall Programs With 4H In DuPage County – For Ages 8 To 18
- ICCP – Knights VS Wheaton Academy On September 22 – 4:30 Freshman Game, 5:30 Sophomore Game, 6:30 Varsity Game – Free Admission All Grade School Students/Parents/Coaches – Coupon Given For Free Slice Of Pizza Or Hot Dog & Drink
- Farmers Insurance Thank America's Teacher Program – Kids Send Thank You Notes To Your Teachers & Vote For Teacher Proposals – Teachers Can Win Grants
MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS CONTESTS
- VFW Patriot's Pen Patriot Essay Writing Contest – Theme: The America I Believe In –Deadline: November 1
PRESCHOOL & KINDERGARTEN ENHANCEMENT
- Bethel Learning Center For 2016-17 – Kindergarten Enhancement Classes On Tuesdays & Thursdays Afternoons For Children Enrolled in AM Kindergarten
LIBRARY AND MUSEUMS
Elmhurst Public Library
- Virtual Authors Meet & Greet – Skype With Caudill Nominees And If You Submit A Question You're Entered In A Raffle – Register Starting September 3 – (All District 205 Students Are Eligible To Participate Even If They Are Not A Cardholder Or Elmhurst Resident)
- Deborah Hopkinson - Author Of The Great Trouble (Caudill Award Nominee) On October 10 From 4 To 4:45 PM
- Jonathan Auxier - Author Of The Night Gardener On November 21 From 4 To 4:45 PM
Elmhurst Art Museum
- Benjamin F. Calvert III Benjamin' Beckson Grains And Groves – August 21 To September 30
Elmhurst History Museum
- Volunteers Needed for Churchville Schoolhouse Fall Open House – October 1 At 11 AM To 2 PM – Roles Include: Set Up/Breakdown, Greeters, Site Interpreters, Coordinators For Games, Crafts, Traditional Dances – If Interested, Contactbarbara.email@example.com or Call 630-530-6879
- Mental Health First Aid – October 6 to 8 From 8 AM to 5 PM – Location: Linden Oaks Elmhurst Campus – $40 Registration
- Wellness House In Hinsdale Offers Support For Families Dealing With Cancer – Free & Open To The Public
PARK DISTRICT & RECREATION PROGRAMS
Bensenville Park District
- Fall Program Guide
Bensenville Recreation and Community Programs
- Edge Ice Arena Learn To Skate Programs & Crystal Edges Figure Skating School – Fall Session Starts October 5
Elmhurst Park District
- Upcoming Programs and Events – Special Talk 205 Page
- Three New Teen Class Offerings – Fluid Running, Water Sports & Synchronized Swimming
Click Here For More Information & Prerequisites
- Sports Leagues - Registration Now Open – Fall Leagues & Winter Leagues – Programs Vary From Youth & Adults
PARENT SUPPORT GROUPS
- Gateway – Special Education Recreational Association
- REACH PTA Informational Meeting – September 20 At 7 PM Sandburg M.S. – District Coordinator Deb Lee Will Give Overview Of The Program
- SERG PTA – Special Education Resources Group
- York Cheer Fall Youth Clinic On October 7 AT 4:00 PM Until Approximately 8:30 PM $40 Due At Check-In
- Elmhurst Evolution Ultimate Frisbee Fall Season Is Here Co-Ed Team For Ages 14 To 18
Practices Tuesday & Thursdays From 5 To 7:30 PM Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Elmhurst Swim Team – Improve Your Swimming Strokes & Be Part Of A Competitive Team. Registration Now Open For Fall and Winter Swim Season
- Fall 2016 Water Polo Club – Age 14 And Under Boys/Girls - $100, Age 18 And Under (High School) Boys - $125, Family Fee (More Than One Athlete Any Age) - $165