Sign up to receive TALK205 Messages
Interested community members are invited to sign up to receive Talk205 messages from the Elmhurst School District 205 Office of Communications and Public Relations. Talk205 is District 205's communication system, powered by Blackboard Connect. Custodial parents/guardians of District 205 students, as well as District 205 staff, are automatically included in messaging (both email and phone calls) sent through this system. Because Talk205 is connected to our Student Information System, parents need do nothing when students change grade or school - it will automatically be updated.
IF YOU ARE A CUSTODIAL PARENT/GUARDIAN OF A DISTRICT 205 STUDENT, OR A DISTRICT 205 STAFF MEMBER, DO NOT SIGN UP HERE FOR TALK205. You are automatically included if you have already provided your school with an e-mail address.
Click the logo below to subscribe.
Talk205 Message for January 9, 2017
In this issue –
- Elmhurst Children’s Theatre Auditions Are January 10
- Holiday Lights and Cord Recycling Now Through January
- Imagination Theater Hosts Empathy-Skills Event January 16
- January 16 MLK Birthday & January 17 Institute Day - No School for Students
- David Sheff Comes to the Glenbard Parent Series (GPS), January 24
- Coffee with the Superintendent, January 25
- SERG Sponsors Parent Panel Discussion, January 26
- Focus 205 Community Engagement Session #6, February 1
- Annual Summer Recreation Open House, February 7
- Theims Grant Application Deadline February 8
- Kindergarten and New to First Grade Enrollment Dates
- Boosters’ Annual Green Scene Fundraiser is February 25
- Nominations Sought for Exceptional Elmhurst Youth Volunteers
- Save the Date for the D205’s Foundation’s Gala, March 11
- Postings on the Virtual Backpack page
ELMHURST CHILDREN'S THEATRE ANNOUNCES SPRING MUSICAL – The Elmhurst Children's Theatre will be performing Cats from March 17-19, 2017. Auditions are tomorrow, January 10 from 6 To 9 PM (callbacks on January 11) and are open to 5th through 8th grade children who are Elmhurst residents or attend Elmhurst schools. Complete the audition registration form and sign up for an audition on ECT's website at www.elmhurstchildrenstheatre.com
IMAGINATION THEATER HOSTS “FACEBOOK LIVE” EVENT JANUARY 16 - Imagination Theater is hosting a live (and free) Facebook event for families and educators featuring a discussion about developing kids’ empathy skills on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Please join the Facebook Live event at www.facebook.com/imaginationthtr beginning at 1:00 P.M. on January 16, 2017. Artistic Director Jeremy Schaefer and longtime Imagination Theater collaborator, Judy S. Freedman, LCSW, will discuss their brand new program, Someone Else’s Shoes and Freedman’s complementary parent program, Empathy 4 Kids. Someone Else’s Shoes was designed to provide students with empathy skills necessary to build an emotional vocabulary and demonstrate compassion to others, no matter their background."
For more information, please contact Braden Cleary, Manager of Sales and Marketing for Imagination Theater at (773) 492-1966.
NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS NEXT MONDAY AND TUESDAY – Monday, January 16 is the Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday and Tuesday, January 17 is an Institute Day for staff, with no school for students.
HOLIDAY LIGHTS & CORD RECYCLING – York High School’s ECO Club and the Emerson Earth Ambassadors are collecting broken or old Italian mini lights, traditional rope lights, LED lights from any holiday are accepted, along with extension and appliance cords, as well as computer cables. All may be dropped off in bins located in the lobbies of the “A” and “C” buildings at York or at Emerson School. The program runs now through the end of January. All proceeds will benefit SCARCE, www.scarce.org. Contact ECO Club sponsor Bob Blaus for more information at email@example.com.
DAVID SHEFF COMES TO GPS JANUARY 24 – The Glenbard Parent Series (GPS) will present "What Happened to My Beautiful Boy; A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction" with renowned journalist David Sheff on Tuesday, January 24, at 7 PM at Glenbard North High School, 990 Kuhn Road, Carol Stream.
What happened to my son? To our family? What did I do wrong? At this very special GPS event David Sheff will reflect on these heart-rending questions as he shares the desperation of his son Nic's addiction and the impact on their family. Based on his international best-selling memoir Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction, Sheff's honest reflection and wisdom make for a powerful evening all will benefit from. It is the story of a athlete and honor student, his descent into addiction, and the promise of recovery in rehab. From the early warning signs, to denial, to fear, to grief, to hope, this is a story of unwavering parental love.
David Sheff is also the award-winning author of Clean: Overcoming Addiction and Ending America's Greatest Tragedy, which argues drug use is a preventable, treatable disease and not a moral failing. This gifted writer's ongoing research in psychology, neuroscience, medicine, and the examination of the science of addiction earned him a place on Time magazine's list of the world's most influential people. Sheff offers a compelling perspective on creating safer cities and healthier children and families as we confront this our "greatest health crisis.”
This program will be repeated at noon on Wednesday, January 25, at the Marquardt School District 15 Administration Center, 1860 Glen Ellyn Road in Glendale Heights. For more information, visit glenbardgps.org or contact Gilda Ross, Glenbard District 87 student and community projects coordinator, at 942-7668 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
COFFEE WITH THE SUPERINTENDENT, JANUARY 25 – Come meet with Superintendent Dr. Dave Moyer in an informal setting. This year’s “Coffee With the Superintendent” opportunities are again being organized by the PTA Council and are open to any interested District 205 parent or community resident. There will be no agenda during the approximate one-hour conversation. The second coffee will be held on Wednesday, January 25 at 10:00 AM hosted by Jackson Elementary School, 925 S. Swain Avenue, Elmhurst. Superintendent Coffees will also be held on Monday, February 13 at 1:30 PM, hosted by Fischer Elementary School, and Wednesday, April 19 at 10:00 AM, hosted by Jefferson Elementary School.
SERG SPONSORS PARENT PANEL DISCUSSION – It is important for you and your child to be prepared when moving from one major grade to another. Parents who have been through this process are great resources. On Thursday, January 26, from 7 to 9 PM, parents of students with a variety of disabilities will present their experiences and perspectives on transitioning from one school to another. They will share successes, challenges, strategies and accommodations. The panel will mainly discuss transition from elementary to middle school and middle to high school. Parents of younger children are also encouraged to attend, learn and ask questions. This session will be held at the District 205 Administration Center, 162 S. York. There will be a Meet and Greet opportunity, beginning at 6:30 PM.
FOCUS 205 COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT SESSION #6, VISION FOR THE FUTURE - Plan to attend Focus 205 Community Engagement Session #6, Vision for the Future, scheduled for Wednesday, February 1, from 7 to 9 PM in the York Commons. Results of the fall Thoughtexchange survey will be shared, along with facility scenarios to address District 205's needs for the next 50 years, including a discussion of Field and Lincoln Schools, all-day kindergarten and increased STEM opportunities for our students. RSVPs appreciated, but not required. Childcare available for ages 3-12.
SUMMER RECREATION OPEN HOUSE, FEBRUARY 7 – Mark your calendar. The 2017 Summer Recreation Open House will be held on Tuesday, February 7th from 6 to 8 PM at York High School. Sponsored by the District 205 PTA Council, this 15th annual free event grows bigger and better every year. It’s a great opportunity to see what kinds of fun activities are available for your kids this summer!
THIEMS GRANT APPLICATION DEADLINE FEBRUARY 8 – The District 205 Foundation’s 2016-2017 Thiems Grant application is now available and may be accessed at this link. Since 1990, 596 educational grants totaling over $1.4 million have been awarded through the Thiems Grant Program. Teachers, students, administrators, parents or community members in District 205 are eligible to apply. Requested programs, projects, or instructional resources should enhance the educational experience of students, be clearly in support of and help to deliver relevant curriculum, and ideally demonstrate creativity and innovation. Applications that contain technology or media components must include a technology review form. Please note the procedure and additional deadlines that are outlined in the application guidelines. All applications are due February 8, 2017 and recipients will be announced in the spring.
KINDERGARTEN AND “NEW TO FIRST GRADE” ENROLLMENT DATES – Enrollment for 2017-18 incoming kindergarteners and first grade students new to Elmhurst Community Unit School District 205 will take place on Tuesday, February 7, 2017 from 9:00 to 11:00 AM and on Wednesday, February 8, from 12:30 to 3:00 PM at the school of attendance serving their home address. On Thursday, February 9, from 4:00 to 7:00 PM, enrollment will only be offered at Conrad Fischer School (for Fischer students) and at the District 205 Center, 162 S. York (serving all District 205 elementary schools).
Students must be five years old on or before September 1, 2017, to be enrolled in kindergarten. (The student’s original birth certificate must be submitted as proof.) During the February enrollment, parents/guardians must present three proofs of residency. Additionally, a photo I.D. of the person enrolling the student must be produced for identification purposes.
For a complete list of enrollment procedures, acceptable proofs of residency and additional forms, please see the New Student Enrollment page linked from the District 205 homepage. Parents may contact the District 205 Center at 630-617-4783 to obtain the name and location of the elementary school that serves their home address.
BOOSTERS’ ANNUAL GREEN SCENE FUNDRAISER IS FEBRUARY 25 – The York Athletic Boosters' Annual Green Scene is Saturday, February 25 at Fitz’s Spare Keys, from 7 PM to 1 AM. This year’s Green Scene is a casual night of fun, friends, silent and live auctions, raffles, bowling and pool. You can bowl or play pool with your favorite York coach. Auction items include York Parking passes, graduation tickets and preferred parking for graduation. More details to come. If you would like to contribute a prize, please contact email@example.com. In 2015-2016, the Boosters gave nearly $70,000 to York HS Athletics. They have supported York students in every sport for over 35 years.
NOMINATIONS SOUGHT FOR EXCEPTIONAL ELMHURST YOUTH VOLUNTEERS - Know an outstanding youth volunteer? The City of Elmhurst’s Commission on Youth is currently seeking nominees for its annual Exemplary Youth Service Awards, the presentation of which will take place on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at Sandburg Middle School. Nominations are being accepted for young volunteers who reside within Elmhurst District 205 boundaries or attend an Elmhurst school.
To receive a paper nomination form, call the City of Elmhurst at 630-530-3010 or visit www.elmhurst.org/1291/Exemplary-Youth-Service-Award to access the online form. Nominees must be students in grades K-12; service must be voluntary and unpaid. Nominations must be received by Friday March 10, 2017. Award winners will be personally congratulated by the Elmhurst Mayor Steve Morley, with a reception following the program. For more information, contact Youth Commission Chair Jackie Tamer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAVE THE DATE FOR THE D205 FOUNDATION’S GALA, MARCH 11 – Save the date for the March 11th Foundation Gala – The Future is Now, at the Oak Brook Hyatt Lodge. Join a community of friends ready to support a learning revolution by empowering and engaging our students through enhancements from contemporary education models. We are currently seeking sponsors and auction donors for the event. Please contact the Foundation office at 630-617-2328 if you are interested in contributing. Event details and ticket information will be coming soon.
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK – The District 205 Virtual Backpack page is a great place to find student and family-oriented activities offered by non-profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly at http://www.elmhurst205.org/flyers. The following items were recently posted:
- Focus 205 Community Engagement – Vision For The Future On February 1 From 7 To 9 PM
Location: York High School – Babysitting (Ages 3 To 12) Available – RSVPs Appreciated
- 18th Annual High School Art Exhibition at Elmhurst College January 12 through January 24 Frick Center – Free and Open to the Public
- Timothy Christian Schools PreSchool & Kindergarten Information Night On January 19 At 7 PM – Parent-Only Event
- Elmhurst Symphony Orchestra Presents 1-2-3-4 Baroque – Vivaldi And Bach On January 22 At 3 PM – Free Lecture With Dr. Ted Hatmaker - 1:45 PM
- Save the Date – D205 PTA Summer Recreation Open House On February 7 From 6 PM To 8 PM At York High School
- Northwestern Men's Basketball Group Tickets 2016-2017 – School Day Games On February 18
- District 205 Foundation Gala – Save The Date – March 11, 2017 Location: Oak Brook Hyatt Lodge – Tickets Information Coming Soon
- Auditions For Men Of Spirito! – For Adult Men Ages 18 and Over – Auditions Being Scheduled Now For 2016-17 Season – Rehearsals Are Tuesdays 7 To 9 PM
- Brian E. Wagner Scholarship Fund Bean Bag Tournament – Bags For Wags Fundraiser On February 4 At 6 PM At Valentino Center (On Site Registration/Sign In - 4:45 PM To 5:30 PM)
- York Athletic Boosters Green Scene On February 25 From 7 PM To 1 AM At Fitz's Spare Keys
GLENBARD PARENT SERIES
- What Happened To My Beautiful Boy A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction On
January 24 At 7 PM Location: Glenbard North AND January 25 At 12 Noon Location: Marquardt Admin Center Both Events Are Free And Open To The Public
- ICCP Entrance Exam Workshop & Exam Workshop On January 12 At 6:30 PM – Entrance Exam January 14 – 8:00 AM
- Center For Gifted Classes – Location Sandburg Middle School From January To February
Pre-K - K: Science and Art – Grades K To 7: Choose Two 75-Minute Classes And Grades 4 To 7: Four Workshops (Enroll In One Or All) And Grades 5 To 10: Historic Games of Strategy & Diplomacy
- Center For Gifted – Project 17 (July 17 – August 4) Has Moved to Elmhurst College – For Grades 6 To 12 Now Through December 19 – $100 Off Of Full Day and $50 Discount Off Of 1/2 Day Registration
- Imagination Theater Facebook Live Conversation: Empathy Skills For Kids On January 16 At 1:00 PM – Go To www.facebook.com/imaginationthtr
- Technology Center of DuPage Open House On January 18 From 6:30 PM To 8:30 PM
- Join Girl Scouts – For Girls Grades 6 To 12 – Annual Membership Fee $15 (Financial Assistance Available)
LIBRARY AND MUSEUMS
Elmhurst Art Museum
- Elmhurst Artists' Guild 2017 Winter Member Show On January 8 To February 17
Opening Reception On January 13 From 7 PM To 9 PM
Elmhurst Public Library
- Book And Drum Fest With Local Author Mike Grosso The Author Of I Am Drums On January 21 From 3 To 4 PM – Best For Grades 4+ School Of Rock Will Bring Drums For Rocking Out Afterwards
- Winter Reading Express – For Ages Birth Through Grade 8 – Sign Up In The Kids' Library – Reach A Reading Goal And Receive Prizes Starts December 27 Through February 28
PARK DISTRICT & RECREATION PROGRAMS
Bensenville Park District
- Fall Program Guide
- Special Events
- Bensenville Recreation and Community Programs
- Figure Skating Programs and Learn To Skate – Session #2 From February 15 To March 25 For Ages 3 To Adult
Elmhurst Park District
- Kids Day Off Club – Fitness And Games Both Indoors And Out – January 16 & 17 Courts Plus
- Courts Plus Showcase – Check Out Options For Children's Programs At Courts Plus January 21 From 2 PM To 4 PM
- Upcoming Programs & Events here
- Strong Swimmers Confident Kids – Is Your Young Swimmer Ready To Go The Distance? – Is Your Toddler Safe Around Water? – And How Well Can Your PreSchooler Swim?
PARENT SUPPORT GROUPS
- REACH PTA
- SERG PTA – (Special Education Resources Group) Presents Parent Panel Discussion – Making The Transition To Middle & High School On January 26 From 7 To 9 PM Meet & Greet Begins At 6:30 PM – Free & Open To The Public
- Elmhurst Spring Rugby For High School Boys and Girls January Registration
- York Hockey Presents 8th Grade Skate For All 8th Grade Hockey Players – Learn More About York Hockey On January 16 From 8 PM To 9 PM – Addison Ice Arena
- Elmhurst Lacrosse Spring League For Boys – For Grades 2 To 8 – April To June Games – Registration Closes January 15 – Visit: www.elmhurstlacrosse.com
- Elmhurst Baseball and Softball League – Register By January 15 For Early Bird Discount