Sign up to receive TALK205 Messages
Interested community members are invited to sign up to receive Talk205 messages from the Elmhurst School District 205 Office of Communications and Public Relations. Talk205 is District 205's communication system, powered by Blackboard Connect. Custodial parents/guardians of District 205 students, as well as District 205 staff, are automatically included in messaging (both email and phone calls) sent through this system. Because Talk205 is connected to our Student Information System, parents need do nothing when students change grade or school - it will automatically be updated.
IF YOU ARE A CUSTODIAL PARENT/GUARDIAN OF A DISTRICT 205 STUDENT, OR A DISTRICT 205 STAFF MEMBER, DO NOT SIGN UP HERE FOR TALK205. You are automatically included if you have already provided your school with an e-mail address.
Click the logo below to subscribe.
Talk205 - September 8
In this issue –
- Illinois Department of Public Health Issues EV-D68 Virus Alert
- First All District Student Late Arrival Day, September 10
- What It Means to Opt Out of District 205 Messaging
- 100+ Women Who Care Donate $14,900 to Study Skills Academy
- Dinner at Elmhurst Potbelly to Support EIMB
- Special Education Resource Group Meets September 18
- Kelly Miller Circus at Sandburg September 20
- Coffee With The Superintendent, September 24 at Lincoln
- Churchville Schoolhouse Open House, September 27
- Postings on the Virtual Backpack Page
ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH ISSUES EV-D68 VIRUS ALERT – On September 5, the IDPH released a memo to public health workers regarding the respiratory virus EV-D68 that is beginning to gather some force, with cases being identified in Illinois, Iowa and Missouri. The public health statement identifies that the younger population, particularly those persons with asthma, are at a higher risk of experiencing a severe impact from the virus. All of the District 205 nursing staff has been made aware of the information in the bulletin. To access the memo, please see the related news story on the District 205 homepage.
FIRST ALL-DISTRICT STUDENT LATE ARRIVAL DAY, SEPTEMBER 10 – District 205 is scheduling professional development time for the purpose of school improvement planning in smaller and more frequent intervals throughout the year. This time is critical to the pursuit of exceptional student achievement and continued professional excellence. Certified staff and administrators will be using this time to collaboratively review student data, discuss professional growth topics, problem solve, share best practices and continue the work of building a Professional Learning Community. The first all-district Student Late Arrival Day is Wednesday, September 10.
The Student Late Arrival instructional schedule will be as follows:
AM Early Childhood and Kindergarten – 9:15 AM to 11:40 AM
PM Early Childhood and Kindergarten – 12:40 PM to 3:00 PM
Grades 1-5 – 9:15 AM to 3:00 PM
Middle School – 9:30 AM to 3:25 PM
High School – 8:55 AM to 3:06 PM
The 2014-15 School Calendar (which provides a one-page overview of this information), may be found on the District 205 calendar page.
WHAT IT MEANS TO OPT OUT OF DISTRICT 205 MESSAGING – Elmhurst School District 205 would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our District email list (Talk205 and Board Highlights), please contact us directly by replying to this message and stating your preference to do so in writing. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe. Remember that this means you will NOT receive any messages. Period.
Email recipients who unsubscribe from a message through SchooMessenger will no longer receive messages from ANY of the schools, including, but not limited to, school newsletters, PTA bulletins (if your school PTA is using this system), school emergency messages and District 205 emergency closing messages. Please contact the Communications Department at email@example.com if you wish to unsubscribe from messages from a specific sender. In October, SMS numbers entered through infosnap will be imported into the system. At this time users will get an ppt-in message from the system. Recipients must respond to the message for the number to be added. More information with a specific date will be sent in the October 6 Talk205 message.
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email and social media.
100+ WOMEN WHO CARE DONATE $14,900 TO STUDY SKILLS ACADEMY – The District 205 Foundation is the latest beneficiary of this group of generous women who are interested in positively impacting their community by making a financial contribution to a charity four times a year. In August, 149 women wrote a check for $100 to support the Study Skills Academy, organized and underwritten by the District 205 Foundation for Educational Excellence for the last seven years. To read more about it and access an overview of the highly successful Study Skills Academy, which operates in all District 205 schools, please see the related news story on the District 205 homepage.
DINNER AT POTBELLY TO SUPPORT EIMB – You are invited to join the Elmhurst Instrumental Music Boosters (EIMB) at Potbelly Sandwich Works on St. Charles Road in Elmhurst next Wednesday, September 17, anytime from 4-8 PM. No coupon is necessary. Potbelly will donate a portion of all sales to this parent organization that funds financial aid for instrument rental and summer scholarships for deserving band, orchestra and choir students. EIMB’s primary fundraiser is Market Day, but relies on membership, donations and fundraisers at local restaurants to support its mission.
SPECIAL EDUCATION RESOURCE GROUP (SERG) MEETING – SERG PTA welcomes new Assistant Superintendent for Student Services Dr. Kathleen Kosteck at its first meeting of the year, set for Thursday, September 18. Join us at this special reception, which begins at 7 PM in the District 205 Center, 162 S. York, in Rooms 215-216. Check out news and information on the SERG webpage at http://www.elmhurst205.org/serg.
KELLY MILLER CIRCUS COMES TO TOWN – The Elmhurst District 205 Foundation for Educational Excellence, with major sponsorship from the Elmhurst Jaycees, presents The Kelly Miller Circus on Saturday, September 20, on the Sandburg Middle School grounds at 345 E. St. Charles Rd. Rain or shine show times for the old-fashioned traveling circus under the big top are 2:00 PM and 5:00 PM. Save $4 per ticket by purchasing in advance with ticket prices for adults $16 and $10 for children 2-11. Ringside box seats are $25. Discounted group rates for 12 children or more are available. To purchase tickets and for more information visit www.elmhurst205.org/foundation or call 630-617-2376.
COFFEE WITH THE DISTRICT 205 SUPERINTENDENT – As part of Superintendent Dave Pruneau’s ongoing pledge to make himself accessible to parents and community members, he will again be available for once–a–month coffees at different locations around the District. These informal “Coffee With the Superintendent” opportunities are being organized by the PTA Council and are open to any interested District 205 parent or community resident. There will be no agenda during the approximate one hour conversation. The first coffee will be held on Wednesday, September 24 at 1:30 PM at Lincoln Elementary School, 565 S. Fairfield, Elmhurst.
The remaining dates/times for 2014-15 are:
Wednesday, October 22: 10:00 a.m. - Emerson
Friday, December 12: 1:30 p.m. - Sandburg
Tuesday, January 20: 10:00 a.m. - Hawthorne
Monday, February 9: 7:00 p.m. - Churchville
Thursday, March 19: 1:30 p.m. - Jackson
Tuesday, April 14: 10:00 a.m. - Jefferson
Churchville Schoolhouse Open House – Go back to school with Elmhurst Historical Museum. Celebrate our area's longtime commitment to education at the Churchville Schoolhouse Open House on Saturday, September 27, from 11 AM to 3 PM. The Schoolhouse, built c. 1846, will be open to the public. Conrad Fischer Singers will perform numbers from yesteryear at 11:30 AM and 1 PM, while folk singer Bucky Halker will share classic Illinois folk songs at 12:15 and 1:45 PM. Old-fashioned games, vintage crafts, and a story time are sure to engage the young and young at heart. Lemonade and light refreshments are provided. The event will take place rain or shine. The Churchville Schoolhouse is located at 3N784 Church Road, Bensenville.
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK – The District 205 virtual backpack page is a great place to find student and family-oriented activities offered by non-profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly at http://www.elmhurst205.org/flyers. The following items were recently posted:
- Elmhurst Cool Cities Coalition – Living Cooler and Smarter – Practical Steps for Low-Carbon Living – Cut Global Warming Emissions by 20% or More – September 9 at 7 PM – Elmhurst Public Library
- Elmhurst Historical Museum – Churchville Schoolhouse Open House –
September 27 – 11 AM to 3 PM – Free Admission – Old Fashioned Games - Vintage Crafts – Story Time – Lemonade – Refreshments
- District 205 Social Workers Present – Brain and Heart Smart Parenting – Tools for Limit Setting – Giving Consequences – Promoting Healthy Communication – October 7 –12:30 to 2:30 PM at Elmhurst Public Library – Presenter: Carol M. Dahlquist – (Participation Limited to First 70 Persons – No Reservations Needed)
- Are you a Tech Savvy Girl? – For Girls in Grades 6 to 9 and Parents/Teachers/Mentors – IIT at Rice Campus – November 15 – 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM – $5 – Each Attendee Online Registration Here
Bensenville Park District
- Water's Edge Aquatic Center – Learn to Swim – Registration Begins September 2 – Six week Session – See Website for Dates and Times
Elmhurst Public Library
- Code Academy – Basic Computer Coding – September 10, 24 and October 8 and 22 – Grades 6 to 12 – 4 to 5 PM – Starting September 2 – Register In Person/Online/Phone
- College Prep Programs – For High School Students and Parents
Career Readiness Before College
September 10 – 7 to 8:30 PM
How to Begin Your College Search
September 17 – 7 to 8 PM
How to Prepare for the Rising Cost of College
October 15 – 7 to 8:30 PM
- Fall Ice Hockey – 6 Week Session – September 21 to October 26 – $145/Members – $195/Non-Members
- Epiphany Lutheran Church – Children's Clothing Resale – September 12 – 6 to 9 PM and September 13 – 8 to 11 AM – Adults Only – All Sales Final
- Talkie Trot 5K Run/Walk – Proceeds Benefit Center for Speech and Language Disorders – September 14 – 9 AM (Register 7 AM to 8:45) – York and South Streets
- Epiphany Lutheran Church – Children's Toy & Equipment Resale –September 27 – 8 to 11 AM – Adults Only – All Sales Final
- Readers Ignite – Helping Build Local Libraries – See Website for More Information
- Elmhurst Memorial Hospital Foundation – Amazing Walk for Cancer
September 28 – 1 PM – Registration $25
- Mary Queen of Heaven – 5K Run/Walk – October 4 – 8 AM – Supporting Local Charities
- Elmhurst Artists' Guild – The Art of R.M. Proce – August 26 Through October 3 – Artists Reception – August 29 – 7 to 9 PM
- Elmhurst Art Museum – Programs and Classes for Kids and Adults
- DuPage Children’s Museum – September Calendar
- Lizzadro Museum – Programs
Parent Support Groups
- Access Sports – Join Our Track Program – Open to Athletes With Disabilities for Grades 6 to Transition – Beginning October 5 at York High School Field House – 3 to 4 PM – See Website for Dates
Resources and Registration
- Yoga Shala Kids and Teens, NFP Drop-In for $5 – Grades 1 to 4 and Grades 5 and Up –Beginners Welcomed – All Levels of Experience
- Bethel Learning Center – Kindergarten Enhancement Classes – For Students Enrolled in AM Kindergarten – See Virtual Backpack Page for More Information
- Tree Town's Kid Town – Kindergarten Enrichment Program – Contact Barbara Baker (630-279-8778) for More Information
- Elmhurst College Child Care Center – Looking for Last Minute Child Care? – For Ages 6 Months to 12 Years – Monday to Thursday – 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM – Friday – 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM
- Girls Lacrosse Elmhurst – Fall Clinics – Grades 1 to 2 – Sundays – 9/21 to 10/19 – 10:30 to 11:30 at Eldridge Park – Fall League – Grades 3 to 9 – Games 9/14 – 9/21 – 9/28 – 10/5 – 10/12 and 10/19 – Various Locations
- Team Elmhurst Soccer Club Skills Academy – Boys and Girls – Pre-K to Kindergarten and Grades 1 to 4 – September 5 to October 24 (Fridays) – 8 Week Session – $90/Child
- Knights Basketball Tryouts – Girls/Boys Grades 4 to 8 – September 13 – Oak Brook Park District – Cots $5 – Times Posted Here