Sign up to receive TALK205 Messages
Interested community members are invited to sign up to receive Talk205 messages from the Elmhurst School District 205 Office of Communications and Public Relations. Talk205 is District 205's communication system, powered by Blackboard Connect. Custodial parents/guardians of District 205 students, as well as District 205 staff, are automatically included in messaging (both email and phone calls) sent through this system. Because Talk205 is connected to our Student Information System, parents need do nothing when students change grade or school - it will automatically be updated.
IF YOU ARE A CUSTODIAL PARENT/GUARDIAN OF A DISTRICT 205 STUDENT, OR A DISTRICT 205 STAFF MEMBER, DO NOT SIGN UP HERE FOR TALK205. You are automatically included if you have already provided your school with an e-mail address.
Click the logo below to subscribe.
Talk205 - November 18
In this issue –
- District 205 Earns SchoolSearch A+ Academic Award for 12th Time
- Emerson Invites You to Explore the Universe (Right Here in Elmhurst)
- Parent-Teacher Conference Reminder and Post-Conference Survey
- 2013 Winter Wear Collection Taking Place Now Through November 22
- Support Your Community Through the UCCA Annual Food Drive
- York Orchestras to Present Holiday Concert, November 21
- Nominate a Deserving Kickoff for Kids Star Educator
- Recent Postings on the Virtual Backpack Page
District 205 Earns SchoolSearch A+ Academic Award – For the 12th consecutive year, Elmhurst Community Unit School District 205 has received the SchoolSearch Bright A+ Award, based on the 2013 Illinois Report Card data. Elmhurst was one of 60 school districts (out of 866) in Illinois to receive this award, placing it academically among the top 5% of school districts in the State.
The criterion for high school/unit districts earning this year’s award is based on academic performance of 23.3 or above average composite on the ACT. District 205’s average composite ACT score for the Class of 2013 was 24.1; the state average was 20.3.
EMERSON SCHOOL INVITES YOU TO EXPLORE THE UNIVERSE – The Emerson PTA is proud to announce that the solar system has come to Elmhurst. Using the Emerson Outdoor Classroom as a base, a scale model of the solar system has been created. The model includes all 14 major solar system bodies, including the five dwarf planets of Ceres, Pluto, Haumea, Makemake and Eris. The project is designed to create a spatial representation of the solar system.
In the model, the sun is located in the Emerson Outdoor Classroom and is 18 inches in diameter. Eris, the farthest planet, is located at Edison School. Each planet's location has a large sign that contains a picture of the planet, its actual comparative size (to scale), scientific facts, the origin of the planet’s name and a map showing where each planet is placed in Elmhurst. The planets are located at Emerson, Edison, Hawthorne and York, as well as Berens and Plunkett Parks and Mary Queen of Heaven Catholic Church.
Credit goes to Emerson parent Jon Caforio, who was instrumental in the creation of this project. He suggested the idea, conducted the research, made contact with the project partners and directed creation of the 14 signs and accompanying location key. Helping with the installation of the signs were Emerson 1st grade teacher Caryl Witt and her husband, Steve, the Caforio family and District 205 maintenance staff.
PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCE REMINDER/POST CONFERENCE SURVEY – Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held on Monday, November 25, from 4:30 to 8 PM and on Tuesday, November 26, from 12 noon to 8 PM. All EC-12 students will attend school on the first day of conferences, according to their normal schedule. There will be no school for students on Tuesday, November 26. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, November 27, 28 and 29, are non-attendance days for students and staff, due to the Thanksgiving holidays.
Although online conference sign-up ended on Saturday, parents may still access their scheduled conference time through the 2013 Conferences page. District 205 is again asking parents who participate in the November Parent-Teacher Conferences to complete a short survey following their conference experience in order to gather feedback and improve our process.
The survey is available in both English and Spanish for EC-12 conference evaluation. Links to both surveys will be made available on the 2013 Conferences page by Friday, November 22 and should be completed by Friday, December 6. Computers will be available in our schools for parent use; paper copies of the survey will also be made available by request.
2013 WINTER WEAR COLLECTION TAKING PLACE NOW – The snow is flying and it’s definitely cold. A local group is collecting new and gently used winter wear for kids in need now through November 22. Coats, gloves/mittens, scarves, ear muffs, hats and snow pants are sought. Collection boxes are in place at Bryan, Edison, Emerson, Madison and York High School. If you want to contribute, but don’t have a student in these schools, please contact Barbara Lonergan at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 630-415-4229.
The needs of our own students in District 205 will be met first, then all remaining donations will be picked up by Schools Count, the non-profit organization we partner with for The Great Donation Day. Schools Count will send winter gear to students in need in Chicago Public Schools, as well as south suburban Harvey, Ford Heights and Robbins.
SUPPORT YOUR COMMUNITY THROUGH THE UCCA ANNUAL FOOD DRIVE – The United Community Concerns Association will be sponsoring its annual Holiday Food Drive from November 1 through 22. Donations of non-perishable items may be dropped off at the District 205 Center, 162 S. York, or at any of our 13 schools. UCCA will pick up the donations and transport them to the Elmhurst Public Works Garage, where they will be sorted and boxed for distribution in December. Last year over 300 families were assisted throughout the holidays. For further information, please see the flyer posted on the Virtual Backpack page.
YORK ORCHESTRAS TO PRESENT HOLIDAY CONCERT – On Thursday, November 21, at 7:30 PM, the York Community High School Orchestras will present a Holiday Concert, including performances by the York Cadet, Concert and Symphony Orchestras, conducted by Ray Ostwald and assisted by student teacher Max Hellermann. The orchestras will offer a mixture of classical and seasonal favorites, including music by Georg Philipp Telemann, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Mikhail Glinka and John Williams.
Featured student musicians will include senior soprano and a York Concerto Competition winner Jackie Salgado, performing “Poor Wandering One” from Gilbert and Sullivan’s Pirates of Penzance. Additional featured soloists will include violinists Claudia Zerdin, John Mazzocco, Ellie Chiu and Jenna Garcia, pianist Max Delaney, harpsichordist Adela Skowronski, harpists Julia Dierksheide and Abby Delaney, cellists Jake Pulver and Kevin Shehan and timpanist Alyssa Manning. The concert will also include selections from seasonal movies Miracle on 34th Street, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Polar Express, Home Alone and The Nightmare Before Christmas.
The concert will be held in York’s Merle E. Baker Auditorium. Admission is: $5 adults, $2 seniors/students; free to York students, District 205 staff, seniors with Very Important Patron (VIP) privileges, children under 6, and Patron Pass holders. Call 630-617-2400 x 7296 for more information. VIP passes are available to anyone age 60 or older who resides within District 205 boundaries. To receive a VIP pass, please contact the Communications and Public Relations Office at 640-941-4719.
Remember to check the Show Time! Fine Arts Brochure for 2013-14 play and concert events at York High School, as well as Bryan, Churchville and Sandburg Middle Schools.
NOMINATE A DESERVING KoK STAR EDUCATOR – Kickoff for Kids (KoK), a local non-profit organization, is accepting nominations for its Star Educator Award. Show a special teacher, coach or administrator you think he or she is going above and beyond for students by nominating them for this honor. KoK works to benefit local children by supporting family-centered programs focusing on education, community, health and fitness. Nominate an educator making a difference by visiting the KoK website at www.kickoffForkids.org to complete a brief application and short 300-word essay.
The Kickoff for Kids 11th annual holiday party/fundraiser will be held this Saturday, November 23, from 7 to 10 PM at Fitz’s Spare Keys. Tickets may be purchased online.
POSTINGS ON THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK – The District 205 Virtual Backpack page is a great place to find student and family–oriented activities offered by non–profit agencies in our community. Please check it often under the Community Events link on the District homepage or access it directly at http://www.elmhurst205.org/flyers. The following items are currently posted:
- Winter Wear Collection – Coats/Gloves/Hats/Scarves/Snow Pants – November 1 to November 22 – Please Send Clothing Only If Your Student Attends Bryan/Edison/Emerson/Madison/York – If No Student Attending Above Schools Contact – email@example.com
- UCCA Annual Holiday Food Drive – November 1 – November 22 – Bring Non-Perishable Items to Schools – See Website for a List of Items
- Elmhurst Clothing Center Coat Drive – Gently Used Coats/Hats/Scarves/Gloves Needed – Children and Adult Sizes – November 8 - December 20 – 7:30 AM to 6 PM – First United Church of Elmhurst
- Elmhurst College – The Cultural Season – Upcoming Fall Event
Elmhurst Park District
- Fall Brochure
Elmhurst Public Library
- Make and Take Holiday Ornaments – November 21 - 4 to 5 PM – Grades 2 to 8 – Register by Phone/In Person/Online
- Makerspace Monday – Create or Invent Something Completely New – December 16 – 7 to 8:15 PM – Register by Phone/IN Person/Online
- Calendar of Events
- Teen Night – November 23 – 8 PM to 10 PM – Grades 5 to 8 –Basketball/Dodgeball/Swimming/Pizza – $5 at Door – Member or Non-Members
- Skin Diving (Snorkeling) Classes – Ages 10 and Older – December 27 – 29
- Winter Basketball Leagues – Grades 2 to Adult 18+ Practices Start December – Games in January – See Website for More Information
- Schools Out – Program for Kids Ages 5 to 12 – November 26 – Waterworks Water Park
- Elmhurst City Centre
- Tree Lighting – 5 to 7 PM November 30 Free Music – Treats - Kiddie Train Ride – Santa Arrives in a Fire Truck and Sing Along With Santa at Fitz's Spare Keys – 6:30 to 8:30 PM
- Hometown Holiday Family Fun – 9:30 AM to 1 PM – December 14 – Free Showing of ELF/Pick Up a Free ELF Hat After the Movie – Candy Walk in Downtown Elmhurst - 11 AM to 1 PM
- DuPage Children’s Museum –November Program
- Elmhurst Artists Guild – Fall Members Show – October 22 – November 29 – More Than 50 Exhibition Entries
Elmhurst Art Museum – Fall Calendar
- Elmhurst Historical Museum – Fall Calendar – September – November
- Lizzadro Museum – November and December Classes
Resources and Registration
- Bethel Learning Center Preschool Registration for Classes Ages 2-4 – Kindergarten Enhancement – B LC-X Extension Registration Lottery Begins January 17
- Yoga Shala Kids & Teens – Drop–in $5 Yoga
- Bensenville Recreation – 2013 Program Booklet
- Gateway Special Education Recreation Association – Fall Catalog
- Jr. Dukes Wrestling – Traveling/Competitive Program – Begins November 25 – 6:30 to 8:15 PM – Register at www.epd.org
- Join Elmhurst Swim Team – Learn Stroke Instruction – Good Sportsmanship – Team Competition – Register at www.swimest.org
- Elmhurst Youth Baseball League – Little League Baseball Registration 2014 – November 9 /13 & 16 – See Website for Times
- Elmhurst Baseball & Softball League – Registration Opens December 1 – Baseball/Softball – Ages 5 to 14 – Colt Baseball Ages 15 to 16 – See Website for More Information or Register at www.elmhurstbaseball.com
- ILS- Winter Indoor Soccer League – Boys/Girls - PreK to Grade 8 – Begins January 18 – Seven Sessions – Registration Now Through December 1 – www.ilselmhurst.org