Special Education Resource Group (SERG)
- SERG is part of the District 205 PTA Council.
- SERG events are organized by parent volunteers in collaboration with District 205 Special Education staff.
- SERG sponsors programs for parents and educators on a variety of topics related to special education.
- SERG provides educational and recreational resources to parents and educators.
- SERG works with school PTAs to find ways to make PTA events more accessible to children with disabilities.
- SERG serves as a network for parents of children with varying disabilities.
Posted by: Kristin Boxall
IEP Planning Documents
Elmhurst Public Library Assistive Technology Study Room
Software available at EPL.doc If you have a learning disability, visual impairment, mobility issue, are a new English language learner, or are on the autism spectrum, we have software and hardware to ...more
Senate Bill 2157--Students with IEP Physical Education Waiver Q and A
The passing of Senate Bill 2157 (Students with IEPs PE waiver bill) has caused a lot of questions about which students are eligible for such a waiver. Below are some frequently asked questions and answers about the bill.
- Does a non school sponsored sport “count’? Yes, however, the outside sport must be “adaptive,” so it is likely going to be a special recreation program.
- Can a student who is not yet identified but is in intervention qualify for a PE waiver if they participate in a sport? No, per the legislation, it applies only to students with IEPs.
- Can recess count as PE time so that a student can go to an intervention during typical PE time? Recess does not count as PE time. However, under the statute, before this amendment (and currently), the IEP team could determine that a student should use P.E. time for special education and document this in the IEP.
- Is this only for kids in “adaptive P.E.”? No, any student with an IEP could request the waiver. However, the outside sport must be an “adaptive” athletic program.
- Does the district ‘have’ to grant the wavier? No, the waiver is granted at the district’s discretion.